Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2020, 05:41 AM

7,927 posts, read 7,820,807 times

Advertisements

You have to remember these differences between local roads state roads and federal roads. With respect to the relationship between the state and local governments that is what's called the chapter 90 fund which provide compensation for local towns to do maintenance on state roads. The methodology for funding is based on employment and the amount of driving that is conducted. This unfortunately provides for incentives for areas that are growing in disincentives for those that are not growing. This is why Franklin County, Berkshire County and the Cape generally have bad roads.

in higher populated areas you have more water lines, sewer lines, telecommunication lines and energy lines. Rhodes also require a fair amount of engineering between the weight of the vehicle line of sight angles of light it dissolve become significant factors in the way how roads are built. Built environment aspects including say sidewalks and public lighting can add for additional requirements. Then you add in what's actually on the road itself whether or not you allow for passing whether there is a no parking area, a fire lane, cross walk etc.

I wouldn't say that roads acquire the same amount of Maintenance as a building but there's quite a bit more that's not controllable due to traffic and weather.

That concrete issue in Connecticut also has ramifications and some communities in Western and Central Mass. I know that in this Connecticut town of Coventry there is a very small bit of road which cost millions to fix due to this
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2020, 05:54 AM

15,802 posts, read 20,513,219 times
If anything, it would be nice if they could get all road work out of the way now while traffic is light.

Old 05-14-2020, 07:04 AM

875 posts, read 664,684 times
....and MA is typically near the top of of state lists for cost of highway repair, and near the bottom for highway condition. I know, densely populated, freeze/thaw cycles, etc. .....but still

Good thing roadwork still uses police details and not just flagmen, like everywhere else

Old 05-14-2020, 07:28 AM

4,630 posts, read 4,900,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
If anything, it would be nice if they could get all road work out of the way now while traffic is light.
The progress on Kelley Square has been great

Old 05-14-2020, 07:41 AM

5,037 posts, read 6,928,372 times
Quote:
They had to run a water main through the only road connecting my house to my daughter's school. Didn't even notice them working. Dodged a bullet there.

Old 05-14-2020, 10:23 AM

2,710 posts, read 1,736,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sawyer2 View Post
....and MA is typically near the top of of state lists for cost of highway repair, and near the bottom for highway condition. I know, densely populated, freeze/thaw cycles, etc. .....but still

Good thing roadwork still uses police details and not just flagmen, like everywhere else
I know right? The flashing blue lights turns traffic into a standstill on both sides of the highway! The police officer gets paid $75+/hr to stand there. Our tax dollars at work...

If there's road construction in California, they just use traffic cones and traffic moves as usual in the other lanes. No flashing blue lights to create rush hour traffic.

Old 05-14-2020, 10:47 AM

15,802 posts, read 20,513,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matrix5k View Post
I know right? The flashing blue lights turns traffic into a standstill on both sides of the highway! The police officer gets paid $75+/hr to stand there. Our tax dollars at work...
I usually made our $75+hr detail go get us coffee

Just kidding. It's not like that at all. Having actually done road construction and found myself in a closed left lane of a highway many many times, I will say that I prefer there to be traffic and heaps of it. When speeds creep up, that's when danger starts to happen. We've frequently had cars drift into the cone setup and take out 5-6 cones before they figure it out. Usually there aren't any workers there...once in a while, there was. I've seen someone hit.

When traffic speeds start creeping up, I've asked the officer to run radar (not on the highway). That slows traffic right down and then we can focus on our work vs looking over our shoulders to see if someone texting isn't about to slam into us at 45MPH.

But these days...i'm part of the crowd shaking my fist at them too...and I know better.

Old 05-14-2020, 10:52 AM

23,577 posts, read 18,730,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matrix5k View Post
93, 95, 290, route 3. You've never driven on the highway in the summer? There's always lanes closed. You get to the construction zone and drop down a few inches then it's an obstacle course to dodge manholes. It looks like a freshly groomed ski trail except it's concrete. When you exit the construction zone you hit a huge bump that destroys your shocks. They do this all over the local roads too.
All the time. What sections of those roads have they paved TWICE over the past few years??? I'm very familiar with a couple off those routes, and I am sitting here scratching my head.

Old 05-15-2020, 04:45 AM

12,452 posts, read 9,540,640 times
Quote:
+1 on that

Old 05-16-2020, 03:33 PM

7,927 posts, read 7,820,807 times
Prevailing wages, Massdot pre-qualification and police details can add up.

Don't forget about underground storage tanks in the middle of a job. If you want to get a sense of how much is underground go to a place where it isn't. Western NY has *everything* above.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
View detailed profiles of: