Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2021, 08:03 PM

3 posts, read 4,265 times

Advertisements

My family and I are relocating and so far Dover seems like the perfect fit for us. I read on another post there are no sidewalks in the town. Not sure if this was an exaggeration or if there really are no sidewalks in any of the neighborhoods? My kids love riding their bikes and walking around our current neighborhood. Is it such a quiet town that kids there just ride in the street?

Thanks for any insight!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2021, 08:08 PM

8,500 posts, read 4,744,511 times
A quick look at google maps’ satellite view shows that there are a few sidewalks in what appears to be downtown, but there’s otherwise basically nothing. Would probably be worth a look.

Old 02-01-2021, 08:55 PM

122 posts, read 82,023 times
I don’t think you will find many children riding bikes in town. Most roads are not very wide and cyclists need to share the road with cars, which are driving at not insignificant speeds (probably up to 40-45mph in the busier roads). If you want your kids to ride their bikes your best bet is to find a house on a cul-de-sac.

I don’t think Dover is alone on this regard to be honest. I don’t really see children riding roads on bikes anywhere in Greater Boston except for a few quiet cul-de-sacs.

Old 02-01-2021, 08:56 PM

10,024 posts, read 15,671,828 times
There might not be any sidewalks, or very few. I live in one of those "no sidewalk" towns and kids walk and ride in the street because the streets are wide. You aren't really supposed to ride your bike on the sidewalks anyway.

Old 02-02-2021, 06:16 AM

7,927 posts, read 7,818,729 times
That's true another answer is bike lanes. Bike sharing programs work much better with bike lane. Contact the local mpo (mapc?) they might know more

Old 02-02-2021, 06:26 AM

2,310 posts, read 6,826,941 times
Suburbs like Dover are not dense at all so what is accepted to do in Dover is a whole different animal than say in Boston or Cambridge. I dont live in Dover but my house has no sidewalks either. People do neighborhood walks on the street and move to the side when cars are approaching. If the street is not a thoroughfare, parents watch over little kids on their bikes on a limited stretch of the road. Adults riding road bikes usually just stay on the right side of the road ... most roads are not marked as bike lanes but it's very common to see people biking.

Old 02-02-2021, 06:30 AM

23,575 posts, read 18,722,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
That's true another answer is bike lanes. Bike sharing programs work much better with bike lane. Contact the local mpo (mapc?) they might know more
In Dover??? I think most of the roads there are way too narrow for that, and the locals are OK with the status quo and in no rush to "citify" the town. If you're looking for your typical suburban "neighborhood" environment, Dover is probably not the place.

Old 02-02-2021, 07:28 AM

2,811 posts, read 2,184,013 times
Looks like the only sidewalks are the block of Springdale Avenue in front of Town Hall and about a half mile of Dedham Street. https://www.mapc.org/wp-content/uplo...lkInv_Map5.pdf

Old 02-02-2021, 07:48 AM

12,871 posts, read 22,035,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
In Dover??? I think most of the roads there are way too narrow for that, and the locals are OK with the status quo and in no rush to "citify" the town. If you're looking for your typical suburban "neighborhood" environment, Dover is probably not the place.
The idea of a bike sharing program in Dover is kind of laughable too. Bike sharing is great, even for affluent residents, in places like Boston, Cambridge, Somerville, Brookline, etc. because it's an easy way to get from point A to B without getting in a car, on transit, worrying about bringing a bike lock and finding a spot to park your bike, or storing a bike in your 600 square foot apartment. But Dover is an affluent low-density suburban bedroom community. Most bikers are going to be A) kids (bike share bikes don't work for most kids - too large) and B) Recreational cyclists (bike share bikes aren't a substitute for their $4,000+ road or mountain bike).

Bike lanes aren't crazy for the 'burbs (plenty around here have them), but Dover doesn't really have the types of primary thoroughfares where you usually see them (I don't think there's a single numbered route in Dover) and the "main" streets in town are too narrow to add them without having to widen the road which would mean reclaiming private property from landowners in town... good luck with that.

To the OP, most of Dover's homes are not along "through streets" where traffic is not entirely local and traveling at high rates of speed. Most of Dover looks like this - quiet neighborhoods with dead ends, cul-de-sacs, and loops that are 99.9% local traffic and with low speed limits (25-30). Most neighborhoods would be fine for kids to cruise around on bikes, even without sidewalks. This is also about as "main" as a main road gets in Dover. Obviously not ideal for a small kid on a bike, but we're not talking multi-lane highways here.

Old 02-02-2021, 08:40 AM
r_p

230 posts, read 222,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mreps View Post
My family and I are relocating and so far Dover seems like the perfect fit for us. I read on another post there are no sidewalks in the town. Not sure if this was an exaggeration or if there really are no sidewalks in any of the neighborhoods? My kids love riding their bikes and walking around our current neighborhood. Is it such a quiet town that kids there just ride in the street?

Thanks for any insight!!
As long as you are in any one of the neighborhoods, away from the main road(s), you will be okay. If you want something more urban then look look at Wellesley. BTW Dover is a beautiful town. It shares its school system with Sherborn which offers more value. You cant go wrong with either .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts