Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2021, 11:40 AM

4 posts, read 6,616 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alidmc View Post
I live on the North Shore (about 20 miles north of Boston) and commuted to both Kendall and Seaport. Driving (pre-covid) to Kendall was out of the question, as the area was not created to handle a high volume of cars. I walked from North Station. There is a shuttle that has several stops around Kendall. In total, my commute was about an hour.
When I worked in the Seaport it was much easier to drive. Traffic was terrible, but once you hop off 93, it was a pretty easy ride over to the Seaport- a little over an hour leaving before 7 a.m barring a traffic catastrophe.
The commute would not be bad to either from towns such as Reading,Wakefield, or Lynnfield. The commute from metro west is better, but the real estate prices are much higher in the western burbs.

Appreciate the advice, what was the return trip like driving home from the Seaport in the afternoon? I'd generally prefer not to drive, but the commute from north of the city in that case looks complicated - train to north station, followed by a shuttle, ferry, or long walk.

I don't know those towns well, will have to look into them more. I'm still wondering if I'd be better off trying to look in Milton or one of the nearby towns with trains to south station. From Milton I'd have the red line to south station and a short walk and if I ended up in Kendall I could take the red line the entire way. From something like Canton it also looks like I could potentially have an hour door to door to either Kendall or Seaport. Not sure how realistic those estimates are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePRU View Post
If your budget is around 700-800 then Natick might be your best choice. If you're willing to live in a townhouse instead of a single family then you might be able to get a little closer in. Real estate values around here are through the roof.

Agreed, it's pretty insane right now, but it's hard to see any significant drop in values occurring.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2021, 12:46 PM

31 posts, read 28,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by advrider View Post
I don't know those towns well, will have to look into them more. I'm still wondering if I'd be better off trying to look in Milton or one of the nearby towns with trains to south station.
Take a look at Quincy. Your budget should get a SFH along the lines of what you are after within walking distance of the red line (plus commuter rail if near Quincy Center). Probably one of the easiest public transit commutes if you want the option of both Seaport and Kendall.

Solid schools, especially in the areas you'd be looking.

Old 03-15-2021, 05:23 PM

604 posts, read 560,920 times
Do any of the new Silver Line stops in Chelsea have parking? Could be a good alternative for getting to seaport if driving down from the hard north shore towns.

Maybe a Blue Line to Silver Line connection at Airport could work too.

Old 03-16-2021, 06:05 AM

9,874 posts, read 7,197,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BosYuppie View Post
Do any of the new Silver Line stops in Chelsea have parking? Could be a good alternative for getting to seaport if driving down from the hard north shore towns.

Maybe a Blue Line to Silver Line connection at Airport could work too.
Parking is not available along the SL3 stops. It's an inner city route targeted at those who live in Chelsea and work in Boston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts