Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2021, 12:54 PM

4 posts, read 6,623 times

Advertisements

Looking for some advice on where to consider living as I move back to the Boston area after being away for almost 20 years.

I'll be taking a job in the Seaport and will be expected to be in the office the majority of the time post-COVID. The other hub for my industry is around Kendall square so it would be nice to have flexibility to take a job in the area without making my commute completely miserable.

Mid-30s couple, with a 5 and 3 year old so schools are starting to become a consideration. My wife is currently a SAHM, but is hoping to return to work within the next year or two. Our income is around ~ 260k, although 15-20% are bonuses/RSUs, I can reasonably expect my income to climb to 300k+ within a few years, but I'd rather be cautious initially as we're one salary. No debt, but only have around 100-150k for a down payment because I'm just finishing up a graduate program.

My priorities are a reasonable commute, good schools, and a safe neighborhood. Less concerned about space - I think we'd be content with ~ 1500sq feet, ideally would prefer a single car garage at least though as I have a lot of outdoor hobbies.

It looks like I may be able to get in Milton which would tick some of the boxes, the commute seems like a mixed bag because if I took the red line I'd still need to get to Ashmont or one of the trolley stops.

Went to HS in Westwood so familiar with that town, it looks expensive and wouldn't be great for commuting to Kendall if I change jobs.

Should I consider towns north of the city? I have family west and north of the city and spend a lot of time in NH/VT so I'm not sure how far south of the city I'd be open to moving.

Appreciate any advice!

Last edited by advrider; 03-12-2021 at 02:16 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2021, 01:20 PM

2,348 posts, read 1,778,418 times
If you're working for one of those techbro companies you might want to consider limiting to subway. CR schedule might not work for you.

Maybe Braintree? I would also suggest Arlington but that might be too much.

Old 03-12-2021, 01:36 PM

1,537 posts, read 1,123,542 times
How long are you willing to commute by train? By car?

Seaport will be equally horrible the north and south (Pike is a little bit better) so north/northwest is best if you want to keep Kendall open.

Old 03-12-2021, 01:48 PM

8,543 posts, read 14,018,658 times
Seaport and Kendall are two very different commutes. Also, it's not clear whether you're planning on driving or taking public transit.

Seaport - if you're driving in somewhere along the Pike would yield the easiest drive. Public transportation commute you'd have to switch to the Silver line at some point or walk from South Station. Either way, you need a train that terminates at South Station. So, ideally something along the Red line or one of the Commuter Rail lines that terminate at South Station (basically any line south of the Pike).

Kendall - if driving it would be ideal to live as close to Cambridge as possible or perhaps along RT2. Public transportation commute would ideally be red line or less ideal would be taking the Fitchburg line of the commuter rail and switching to the red line or driving to the red line.

It might help if we knew what you wanted budget you wanted to keep to for your home purchase.

Old 03-12-2021, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesmaybe View Post
If you're working for one of those techbro companies you might want to consider limiting to subway. CR schedule might not work for you.

Maybe Braintree? I would also suggest Arlington but that might be too much.
Appreciate the reply - won't be working for a techbroâ„¢ company. From speaking to people at the company I'll be joining it sounds like they are definitely understanding about CR schedules and leaving at a particular time to catch a time. I'd expect my normal hours to be 8-5.

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplexsimon View Post
How long are you willing to commute by train? By car?
I'd prefer to use public transportation although I could see myself driving occasionally - I don't know what's reasonable, ideally an hour door to door.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePRU View Post
Seaport and Kendall are two very different commutes. Also, it's not clear whether you're planning on driving or taking public transit...

It might help if we knew what you wanted budget you wanted to keep to for your home purchase.

Appreciate the reply, not sure how much I should weigh being able to potentially commute to different areas of the city vs. just prioritizing the commute to the seaport.

As for the budget it doesn't really look like I can get very much below 700-800k.

Old 03-12-2021, 03:26 PM

1,708 posts, read 2,910,549 times
Alot of buildings in the seaport have Shuttles to the blue line which will get you to Wonderland MBTA station where you could drive to Nahant, Swampscott or Marblehead. There is also a bus from Wonderland to these places. Commute would be a little over an hour, especially if you dont drive to wonderland.

Old 03-12-2021, 03:52 PM

2,348 posts, read 1,778,418 times
If you are cool with the CR you might be able to do Natick for 800k. You'd have several options to getting to either place, none amazing but doable.

Old 03-13-2021, 07:56 AM

513 posts, read 646,631 times
I live on the North Shore (about 20 miles north of Boston) and commuted to both Kendall and Seaport. Driving (pre-covid) to Kendall was out of the question, as the area was not created to handle a high volume of cars. I walked from North Station. There is a shuttle that has several stops around Kendall. In total, my commute was about an hour.
When I worked in the Seaport it was much easier to drive. Traffic was terrible, but once you hop off 93, it was a pretty easy ride over to the Seaport- a little over an hour leaving before 7 a.m barring a traffic catastrophe.
The commute would not be bad to either from towns such as Reading,Wakefield, or Lynnfield. The commute from metro west is better, but the real estate prices are much higher in the western burbs.

Old 03-13-2021, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston_Burbs View Post
Alot of buildings in the seaport have Shuttles to the blue line which will get you to Wonderland MBTA station where you could drive to Nahant, Swampscott or Marblehead. There is also a bus from Wonderland to these places. Commute would be a little over an hour, especially if you dont drive to wonderland.

Thanks for the suggestion, hadn't really thought to look up there. Looks like the commute could be kind of complicated depending on what traffic is like driving towards Wonderland?

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesmaybe View Post
If you are cool with the CR you might be able to do Natick for 800k. You'd have several options to getting to either place, none amazing but doable.
Appreciate it, I grew up around Natick and couldn't wait to escape. Now I've come full circle and it looks like I can barely afford it.

Old 03-13-2021, 02:48 PM

8,543 posts, read 14,018,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by advrider View Post
Appreciate it, I grew up around Natick and couldn't wait to escape. Now I've come full circle and it looks like I can barely afford it.
If your budget is around 700-800 then Natick might be your best choice. If you're willing to live in a townhouse instead of a single family then you might be able to get a little closer in. Real estate values around here are through the roof.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts