Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2021, 06:30 PM

8 posts, read 7,510 times

Advertisements

We rent in Belmont. Love it, and would ideally buy here. Problem, for 800 - 950k, we could get a piece of crap fixer upper home, or an over priced condo where we roll the dice on who we live with. We look at Melrose and we see a suburb close to Boston with beautiful old homes in that same range. We know the difference in price must be attributable to schools. Can anyone shed any light on the differences and how they are likely to manifest? Just looking at the scores/rankings doesn’t tell us much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2021, 07:01 PM

1,899 posts, read 1,402,954 times
I can’t speak to the schools firsthand, but the difference can be attributed to ease of access to the city as well.

An $800-900k condo in Belmont probably isn’t overpriced.

Old 03-17-2021, 07:14 PM

24,558 posts, read 18,244,243 times
Look at the demographics. Belmont is 17.2% Asian. Melrose is around 1/3 that. Belmont is 3/4 college educated adults. Melrose is a very good 60%+ and you can safely assume that it's much higher for school age parents who need the high income to afford the location. No town with that kind of demographics is going to have bad schools. You can guess that the schools will be less pressure cooker.

Old 03-17-2021, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by porterhouse View Post
I can’t speak to the schools firsthand, but the difference can be attributed to ease of access to the city as well.

An $800-900k condo in Belmont probably isn’t overpriced.
They both are on the commuter rail, just a couple of stops away, right?

For 900k we could get a meh condo in Belmont, or a gorgeous house in Melrose. My experience with real estate is that everything is priced a certain way for a reason, and I am trying to get to the bottom of why.

Old 03-17-2021, 10:44 PM

21,629 posts, read 12,746,938 times
Beaumont is in a somewhat wealthier and more desirable part of the metro. Schools are better because there's more (East) Asians.

Old 03-18-2021, 05:40 AM

10,008 posts, read 15,656,467 times
Schools have always been better in Belmont, long before there was any substantial influx of East Asians.

Old 03-18-2021, 07:14 AM

875 posts, read 663,478 times
I live in Belmont with kids in the school system if you have specific questions. We are very happy here and feel that it is a perfect fit for our needs.

Seeing as you are already living here, I don't think I need to state the positives - but let me know if you have specific questions.

A similar question came up last year - "Why Belmont MA is expensive but highly sought after?" - there is a lot of good information in this thread

https://www.city-data.com/forum/mass...ut-highly.html

That being said, the real estate market in Belmont is absolutely insane right now. I had a quick look and there are only 12 SF houses on the market - 2 of those are under 1M and need a full renovation, 9 are between 1.5M and 6M.

I am not familiar with Melrose but I have friends who are are recent transplants there who love it, and are very happy with the schools. Hopefully there are other Melrose parents on here who can weigh in.

(In general I think there is a lot of unwarranted hand wringing in MA re. schools - we are very fortunate with the quality of schools and are splitting hairs in many cases)

Old 03-18-2021, 07:30 AM

24,558 posts, read 18,244,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sawyer2 View Post
(In general I think there is a lot of unwarranted hand wringing in MA re. schools - we are very fortunate with the quality of schools and are splitting hairs in many cases)

It depends on your zip code. Massachusetts has plenty of disaster public school systems. They're not in towns/cities like Melrose with 61% college educated adults and 6-figure median household income.

Old 03-18-2021, 07:36 AM

We love Belmont. Would prefer not to leave. But the difference in real estate prices between what appear to be two similarly situated towns is enormous, and if the difference in schools is not much, it has to be something else. Real estate markets generally don’t lie.

Old 03-18-2021, 07:43 AM

2,279 posts, read 1,341,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
Schools have always been better in Belmont, long before there was any substantial influx of East Asians.
This is the case for pretty much any good school district in MA I believe.
Asians tend to move in good school district, rather than a school district is good because there are Asians living into. Though for sure many asians often put an extra emphasis on education.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts