Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2021, 10:48 AM

30 posts, read 30,164 times

Advertisements

We are considering to buy a house in Southborough and I've been doing my homework on it but there is limited information I could find online.

Here are what I gathered:

1. It's a small town with almost no town center
2. mostly SFH with big lots, many conservation land areas. Septic systems and oil/propane tanks are common
3. Have two great private schools (we'll unlikely send kids to private school so not sure how this helps the town residents who go to public schools)
4. Public schools are good and seem to be rising in rankings at , reference from 1, 2, 3
5. Essentially not much commercial buildings excepts on route 9 but it's close to Westborough, Framingham/Natick and Marlborough where there are more stores and activities
6. Property tax is at $16.2 per $1000, higher than places like Shrewsbury
7. Easy access to major highways, Rt 9, 495, 90. There is a commuter rail station.

I saw some folks mentioned that it's a tier above nearby Westborough/Northborough/Shrewsbury and why is that? It seems to be a quiet bedroom town that is family oriented. We don't mind living in a bedroom town if it's a great neighborhood. I'd appreciate more comments on what parts of Southborough are better (seems to be north of Rt 9?), diversity of the demographics, safety/areas to stay away from, activities for kids/adults, things (good and bad) to be aware of, and real estate growth potential, etc.

We are not first time homebuyer but we have never lived on septic and oil/propane tank before.. is it something we should be concerned about?

Thanks so much!

Last edited by olacda; 06-21-2021 at 11:00 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2021, 11:11 AM

2,348 posts, read 1,778,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olacda View Post
I saw some folks mentioned that it's a tier above nearby Westborough/Northborough/Shrewsbury and why is that?
The commute gets very long from those towns. Southborough is at least a little bit closer.

Old 06-21-2021, 11:26 AM

right if you mean to Cambridge or Boston. In the near term that's not something i'm overly concerned. Commute to Worcester will be easy.

Old 06-21-2021, 11:29 AM

2,348 posts, read 1,778,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olacda View Post
right if you mean to Cambridge or Boston. In the near term that's not something i'm overly concerned. Commute to Worcester will be easy.
I mean that the commute is probably a big reason why it's more popular than the other towns mentioned.

Old 06-21-2021, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesmaybe View Post
I mean that the commute is probably a big reason why it's more popular than the other towns mentioned.

gotcha, that makes sense.

Old 06-21-2021, 12:28 PM

2,279 posts, read 1,341,045 times
Quote:
I think it's literally the only reason.
I doubt there is any tangible difference among those towns except the commuting distance to inner metro Boston.
Southborough and Milford are the only 2 towns in Worcester county that are part of the Boston Region Metropolitan Planning Organization.

Long distance commuters to Boston tend to be more on the middle/upper side (income) and Southborough is "kind of" at the edge. (I know there are people commuting from further away, I did it too, but it starts getting unpleasant even if you can do it at weird hours).

Old 06-21-2021, 12:37 PM

3,808 posts, read 3,137,538 times
Quote:
Some of it might be legacy. For local buyers, they might be old enough to remember when Southborough was thoroughly 'country club' while it's neighbors were still thoroughly working class. You don't have to be that old ... maybe 35-40?

All of the towns mentioned had wealthy white collar neighborhoods for much of their history dating Worcester's industry, but the white collar population didn't really expand until the mid-'90s when places like EMC, UMass Med, Bos Sci, as well as all the pharma/biotech along 495 started drawing in more skilled labor.

Old 06-21-2021, 12:43 PM

23,540 posts, read 18,687,760 times
Southborough is still different from those other towns. It's leafier, more exclusive, minimal commerce or industry, almost all large lot single family homes. While I wouldn't call any of those places "economically diverse" these days, they still have more in the way of modest/middle-class neighborhoods (even some multi-family), that doesn't really exist in Southborough.

Old 06-21-2021, 12:56 PM

2,279 posts, read 1,341,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
Southborough is still different from those other towns. It's leafier, more exclusive, minimal commerce or industry, almost all large lot single family homes. While I wouldn't call any of those places "economically diverse" these days, they still have more in the way of modest/middle-class neighborhoods (even some multi-family), that doesn't really exist in Southborough.
I don't think this is enough to qualify Southborough as a better tier than the other ones. Unless someone is bother at the idea of having middle class people living in the same town as themselves.

This aside. I think Westborough is really not very different while definitely Shrewsbury and Northborough are much larger, they have considerable shopping areas etc.

Old 06-21-2021, 01:03 PM

963 posts, read 723,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lampert View Post
I think it's literally the only reason.
I doubt there is any tangible difference among those towns except the commuting distance to inner metro Boston.
Southborough and Milford are the only 2 towns in Worcester county that are part of the Boston Region Metropolitan Planning Organization.
Southborough is just more uniformly upscale than the other borough's and Shrewsbury. Just take a drive through town on Route 30, or head up Sears Rd. To be clear, North/Westborough and Shrewsbury have always been "nice", but each had some element of socioeconomic diversity and a more "middle class" element, even if diminished. I grew up in Northborough and attended HS with Southborough in the late 90's, fwiw. I'd also say, regardless of affiliation with a Boston regional planning org, ALL of the 'boroughs have a better commute to Boston than Milford (and I'm assuming a much larger % of commuters), although Southborough has the best of that group.

To the OP, your initial hunches are pretty good. To your question on whether it has a "good" side, the north side is considered more prime, for sure (note that the commuter rail station though is on the far south side). At least it was when I was growing up. Again, there's nothing wrong with the south side of Southborough, but righty or wrongly that perception exists (or at least used to).

EDIT: also adding that the Southborough schools have ALWAYS been considered very good. Not close enough anymore to where they sit in the rankings, but they were still considered excellent back in the 90's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts