Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2021, 12:17 PM

17,097 posts, read 8,713,628 times

Advertisements

this article popped up on Yahoo for me, it highlights a childcare facility in Weymouth:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/child-car...140539951.html

I think childcare work has been associated with low pay for years. In the MA area I don't know how anyone could survive on this pay. It does seem like it could be a crisis in years to come. I'm glad the days of needing daycare are behind me and that I never had to use it. It made little sense to me that in the Boston area daycare could cost up to $2500 a month for people yet the day care workers were paid so little. All to basically have your kids get sick while (germs are rampant in these places) while you yourself go to work.

I don't have a solution for it...i do think daycare workers should be paid more though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2021, 12:26 PM

We also seem to be living in interesting times where people are able to leave these jobs (bus drivers, restaurant workers)...apparently they're not desperate to stay...my question is where are they going? Also who will now be the types of people hired for these jobs? The article mentions some are moving on to admin asst type jobs, bank tellers etc. I didn't think there were many of those types of jobs left these days.

Old 09-20-2021, 01:47 PM

1,557 posts, read 1,154,218 times
Wow $12/hour?

Based on the PPP loan amount the daycare I pay for received, I'm confident that the teachers at my child's daycare get at least $40k/year plus benefits. Most teachers have stayed for many years so I assume that's competitive.

In my circle of friends where both spouses work, the pandemic's made them realize even more how valuable childcare is.

Old 09-20-2021, 01:57 PM

I'm not sure if the weymouth place paid $12 an hour...but it wouldn't surprised me.

I've heard the same that people value childcare more now and are paying more for it. I think the problem is the daycare facilities that hire the workers arent paying them more. It's the people at the top who want to keep the money in every industry.

Old 09-20-2021, 06:44 PM

12,716 posts, read 9,909,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
I'm not sure if the weymouth place paid $12 an hour...but it wouldn't surprised me.

I've heard the same that people value childcare more now and are paying more for it. I think the problem is the daycare facilities that hire the workers arent paying them more. It's the people at the top who want to keep the money in every industry.
Sadly, it's like that in a lot of businesses that charge a hefty fee for their services - they don't pay their employees, who actually provide the service, squat, and that is true across a broad sector of job categories and pay grades, from what I have seen.

Old 09-20-2021, 06:48 PM

Maybe childcare workers will start expecting tips from parents.

Old 09-20-2021, 08:04 PM

5,037 posts, read 6,966,295 times
Quote:

That’s what I liked about the small in-home daycare we brought our kids to. Since they didn’t have any employees, I knew that all the money was going directly to the people looking after our kids.

Old 09-21-2021, 06:11 AM

9,961 posts, read 7,338,983 times
Quote:

The $12/hour is a national average. In MA, they are paid at least $13.50/hour and average is $13.

I'm guessing that the national daycare chains are top heavy in compensation just like any other for profit business. Just like many other businesses today, they are finding that they now have to compete for the people who do the work. I know someone who works for a national chain as a manager and she stays because discounted care for her 3 kids is worth it. If paying out of pocket, she'd leave.

The Weymouth center mentioned in the article is not a for profit daycare business. They are funded by 3 cities and towns as well as the United Way to provide services for those towns including before and after-school care. My town offers a similar program and slots are highly coveted.

Old 09-21-2021, 06:13 AM

9,961 posts, read 7,338,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrandom View Post
That’s what I liked about the small in-home daycare we brought our kids to. Since they didn’t have any employees, I knew that all the money was going directly to the people looking after our kids.
In-home daycares have low overhead and many, especially unlicensed ones, are pretty much baby-sitting services.

Old 09-21-2021, 06:52 AM

5,037 posts, read 6,966,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
In-home daycares have low overhead and many, especially unlicensed ones, are pretty much baby-sitting services.
I mean, there are plenty of fully-licensed in-home daycares. Ours was definitely a few steps above a 'baby-sitting service'. We found ours by looking through the licensing board's website: https://eeclead.force.com/EEC_ChildCareSearch
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts