Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2021, 06:01 PM

531 posts, read 424,384 times

Advertisements

I’m curious to hear people’s thoughts on Georgetown. I’ve heard someone people claim it’s posh and others say it’s a hick town. I’m genuinely interested to hear what your perceptions are (good, bad, ugly).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2021, 10:07 AM

5,015 posts, read 3,909,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remy11 View Post
I’m curious to hear people’s thoughts on Georgetown. I’ve heard someone people claim it’s posh and others say it’s a hick town. I’m genuinely interested to hear what your perceptions are (good, bad, ugly).
My experience with Georgetown is that it's a fairly typical, small, Essex County town. That is, predominantly white, middle-upper class with median income in the $115k-$130k range, with the median home for sale between $550k - $800k, and population at ~10k or less. It's not dissimilar to Middleton to the south, or Rowley to the north, or Hamilton to the east.

I'd say Boxford is posh.. Larger homes/Estates, mini coopers and Range Rovers, extremely high educated. That is not how i'd describe Georgetown.

Old 10-20-2021, 10:29 AM

12,368 posts, read 9,473,336 times
I haven't been there a ton exploring around, but Georgetown isn't too far away from me, and I've certainly been there. It doesn't have the vibe of an elite town for what that's worth, but it's still actually quite nice in my view - not a dump, not a hicktown, no crime issues, and the homes are well maintained. There isn't a ton of commercial development, but there is a smallish downtown with essential businesses like a bank, drugstore, lumberyard, supermarket, some gas stations and maybe 6-10 simple restaurants... they've also got a very nice garden center - Nunan's, which is why I often am visiting there. If you need to commute in to Boston/Cambridge, it's not as bad as it may look, as I-95 is always smooth sailing, plus it's not far up to nice coastal towns - e.g. Newburyport, MA, Rye or Portsmouth, NH, Kittery or Ogunquit, ME for great weekend daytrips. If you like classic smalltown American life, I think it's well worth considering.

Old 10-20-2021, 11:02 AM

6,457 posts, read 7,789,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post
My experience with Georgetown is that it's a fairly typical, small, Essex County town. That is, predominantly white, middle-upper class with median income in the $115k-$130k range, with the median home for sale between $550k - $800k, and population at ~10k or less. It's not dissimilar to Middleton to the south, or Rowley to the north, or Hamilton to the east.

I'd say Boxford is posh.. Larger homes/Estates, mini coopers and Range Rovers, extremely high educated. That is not how i'd describe Georgetown.
I know someone that lives there and that is a good description.

Old 10-20-2021, 11:26 AM

12,368 posts, read 9,473,336 times
Another town I'd suggest looking at near Georgetown would be Amesbury. It's another 10 minutes up I-95 and I think is in the same broad price range for houses, probably a bit cheaper. In terms of the "walkable downtown", Amesbury is nicer than Georgetown IMO, plus it has a little nicer outdoor areas in the immediate area - Lake Gardener, and the Merrimack River, and I really like Cider Hill Farm on the backside for fresh local produce and U-pick too. 20 years ago, Amesbury was more rough around the edges but it's gradually been gentrified.

Old 10-20-2021, 01:12 PM

132 posts, read 182,171 times
I know a number of teachers in the Manchester-Essex school district who live in Georgetown as it's more affordable than Manchester-Essex or Hamilton-Wenham. It's not as charming as the coastal town and skews more to middle class than upper middle class. I agree it's a similar socio-economic mix as Middleton.

Old 10-21-2021, 05:39 PM

1,708 posts, read 2,909,169 times
It has its own high school which is a plus .

Old 10-30-2021, 08:53 AM

Thanks all! Lots of great feedback here.

Old 10-30-2021, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparklingforest View Post
I know a number of teachers in the Manchester-Essex school district who live in Georgetown as it's more affordable than Manchester-Essex or Hamilton-Wenham. It's not as charming as the coastal town and skews more to middle class than upper middle class. I agree it's a similar socio-economic mix as Middleton.
Sparklingforest,
Funny, someone I grew up with married an administrator in the Manchester schools and they live in Georgetown.
Speaking of Manchester BTS, would you say the downtown is comparable to Ipswich and/or Amesbury?

Old 10-30-2021, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
I haven't been there a ton exploring around, but Georgetown isn't too far away from me, and I've certainly been there. It doesn't have the vibe of an elite town for what that's worth, but it's still actually quite nice in my view - not a dump, not a hicktown, no crime issues, and the homes are well maintained. There isn't a ton of commercial development, but there is a smallish downtown with essential businesses like a bank, drugstore, lumberyard, supermarket, some gas stations and maybe 6-10 simple restaurants... they've also got a very nice garden center - Nunan's, which is why I often am visiting there. If you need to commute in to Boston/Cambridge, it's not as bad as it may look, as I-95 is always smooth sailing, plus it's not far up to nice coastal towns - e.g. Newburyport, MA, Rye or Portsmouth, NH, Kittery or Ogunquit, ME for great weekend daytrips. If you like classic smalltown American life, I think it's well worth considering.
OutdoorLover,
Thanks for getting back to me! Nunan’s is lovely and has grown so much over the years. It’s our go-to greenhouse as well.
I’m looking forward to trying Cafe Serena. I hear great things, but haven’t been yet.

Last edited by Remy11; 10-30-2021 at 09:17 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts