Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2022, 11:06 AM

326 posts, read 926,585 times

Advertisements

OP is looking for a college town. Easthampton and certainly Southampton do not have that vibe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2022, 02:47 PM

4,889 posts, read 13,859,086 times
What about Williamstown?

Old 04-29-2022, 04:07 PM

26,662 posts, read 28,762,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmass View Post
OP is looking for a college town. Easthampton and certainly Southampton do not have that vibe.
True, to an extent. There isn't a college IN the town, but they're both close enough so that you can jump in the car and be there in minutes. Southampton is where I would live if I could afford it because you are close to the college towns and you have such beauty. But Easthampton--my house used to be exactly ten minutes from downtown Northampton and just a few minutes from Smith College. It was just as good as living in Northampton except if I had kids I wouldn't send them to that school system. But, yeh, you didn't see college kids walking around town and it doesn't have the vibe.

Old 04-29-2022, 05:28 PM

856 posts, read 516,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
True, to an extent. There isn't a college IN the town, but they're both close enough so that you can jump in the car and be there in minutes. Southampton is where I would live if I could afford it because you are close to the college towns and you have such beauty. But Easthampton--my house used to be exactly ten minutes from downtown Northampton and just a few minutes from Smith College. It was just as good as living in Northampton except if I had kids I wouldn't send them to that school system. But, yeh, you didn't see college kids walking around town and it doesn't have the vibe.
My thoughts exactly. Unless you are in downtown Hamp, it's doesn't have a pure college town feel. I don't think living in Easthampton is all that different than living in the Florence or Leeds sections.

Old 05-01-2022, 12:42 PM

2,556 posts, read 2,292,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestRiverTraveler View Post
My thoughts exactly. Unless you are in downtown Hamp, it's doesn't have a pure college town feel. I don't think living in Easthampton is all that different than living in the Florence or Leeds sections.
True. I live in Florence and one of the things that I like about it is that I am more or less equi-distance between downtown Northampton and Easthampton, so it makes it easy to go in either direction for shopping or whatever. I also love having the little downtown of Florence here which is closer and less hassle for certain things.

Old 05-02-2022, 05:08 AM

7,934 posts, read 7,843,219 times
Generally these questions should consider things like education and health care and Transit. I don't know about you but I don't think I'm going to be driving my whole life. At the same point I'm not saying I need a Trauma Center next to me but I'd like to know where I'd be going for Health Care should something happen. And then there's of course the cost of living and access to food.

The problem I see with akademi in general is that it doesn't exactly create wealth It generally subsidizes it. What I mean by that is that what it attracts are usually low-wage. Your bars and restaurants and clubs and small shops are literally not paying enough to live there. Yes there can be some arts and entertainment and I certainly understand that but unless you get something that's either more industrial or business based it's not going to amount to that much.

With respect to Williamstown with Williams College it is a nice little spot but we're talking almost like a district-level amount of niceness gear it's almost on the same level as Montpelier Vermont but even smaller. I could probably enjoy everything that Williamstown has to offer me in less than a half an hour
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts