Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2022, 03:25 PM

3,601 posts, read 1,831,257 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
Is that really the main reason though? I just don't think it is. So suddenly if we get an influx of people willing to work and help build houses, voila, the cost will be less for anyone wanting to purchase a newly built house? We'll see a significant decrease in new construction homes thanks to undocumented workers?
I've used expensive painting contractors before that dropped off a handful of what could have been undocumented workers at my home that didn't speak a word of english. The result was me paying a couple grand for a room or two to be painted only to have to point out missed spots and imperfections while trying to get them to understand what the issue was. Going forward, I refused to let any contractor drop off their workers and leave for the day unless there is at least one fluent english speaking crew member on hand at all times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2022, 03:28 PM

16,325 posts, read 8,162,213 times
Whatever the case I don't think it has much to do with 'lack' of workers. At one point it was shortage of supplies, now it's lack of workers. Even if we get more workers and supply chain gets better people are greedy and this is MA. The prices are NOT going to go back down. So stop justifying opening our borders in the hopes that anything like that will happen.

Old 12-22-2022, 03:30 PM

3,601 posts, read 1,831,257 times
These workers are not getting paid a lot....they take what they make here and go back to Brazil or wherever for awhile to support their family then come back and work some more. The company owners are still charging the high prices regardless.

Old 12-22-2022, 03:58 PM

9,283 posts, read 14,897,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lampert View Post
July 1st 2022 data released today.

MA has now 6,981,974 people. 7,700 less than last year equivalent to -0.11%

https://www.census.gov/data/tables/t...age_2011805803

The US overall was up 0.38%

New England % changes

ME 0.59
NH 0.56
CT 0.08
VT 0.01
MA -0.11
RI -0.3

Last year:
ME 1
CT 0.72
NH 0.65
VT 0.63
RI 0.06
MA -0.09

It seems the trend of people moving to the actual middle of nowhere (VT, ME) is slowing down fast. Possibly will reverse next year?
NH can probably sustain the growth to the proximity to Boston metro in its southern part where most people live anyway.
MA keeps bleeding some people due to high COL.
CT and RI...no idea.

Worst census ever taken. I don't believe these stats at all. RI is not losing population- it's just undercounted. I doubt MA is either. There are no vacancies here! Ask anyone looking for a house or an apt. Ask about traffic and parking- ha ha.

Old 12-22-2022, 04:06 PM

23,540 posts, read 18,687,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
Worst census ever taken. I don't believe these stats at all. RI is not losing population- it's just undercounted. I doubt MA is either. There are no vacancies here! Ask anyone looking for a house or an apt. Ask about traffic and parking- ha ha.
This is not a census, Holly. The 2021-2022 YoY is an estimated number.

Old 12-23-2022, 04:36 AM

5,096 posts, read 2,661,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by r_p View Post
But it is the undocumented folks who keep labor costs down. There's an ongoing thread on how new construction is unaffordable in MA and the main reason is shortage of such workers.
I see, so we should look the other way on our immigration laws so their labor can be exploited? People are trafficked here for labor and other reasons, too. Is that a good thing?

Old 12-23-2022, 05:27 AM
r_p

230 posts, read 221,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostongymjunkie View Post
I see, so we should look the other way on our immigration laws so their labor can be exploited? People are trafficked here for labor and other reasons, too. Is that a good thing?
I am not advocating for exploiting anyone. My point was can you cannot simultaneously complain about expensive food/housing and illegal immigration as majority of undocumented folks work in agriculture and construction industries.

Old 12-23-2022, 05:44 AM

5,096 posts, read 2,661,482 times
Quote:
I am not advocating for exploiting anyone. My point was can you cannot simultaneously complain about expensive food/housing and illegal immigration as majority of undocumented folks work in agriculture and construction industries.
I guess a lot of that depends on how you define expensive because we're seeing inflation at levels not seen in many years independent of the immigration issue. Yes, if you want "cheap" food/housing illegal labor certainly helps accomplish that. But it also undermines the American worker's wages and working conditions. Too many in this country have grown accustomed to "cheap" but that's an unrealistic expectation in many ways. "Cheap" comes at an expense. It may not be at your expense but it will be to someone.

Old 12-23-2022, 06:12 AM
r_p

230 posts, read 221,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostongymjunkie View Post
Quote:
Too many in this country have grown accustomed to "cheap" but that's an unrealistic expectation in many ways. "Cheap" comes at an expense. It may not be at your expense but it will be to someone.
I totally agree and that's why I said you cannot have both. Cheap things also lead to overconsumption, pollution (plastics?) and suffering (factory farms?).

Old 12-23-2022, 11:10 AM

9,283 posts, read 14,897,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
This is not a census, Holly. The 2021-2022 YoY is an estimated number.
The link is to the census. Estimated or not, it makes zero sense and has zero validity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts