Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2023, 09:08 AM

16,374 posts, read 8,187,139 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesmaybe View Post
Just sayin... there's a lot of people out there who FOMO'd a very expensive house deep in the burbs thinking they will be able to WFH. If you're saying who might get burnt badly with the crash, they might be #1.
The assumption that everyone fled to the burbs with the only reason being that they were suddenly able to WFH is also absurd.

I also do not know a single person who has been told they can no longer WFH.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2023, 09:18 AM

8,543 posts, read 14,022,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yesmaybe View Post
Just sayin... there's a lot of people out there who FOMO'd a very expensive house deep in the burbs thinking they will be able to WFH. If you're saying who might get burnt badly with the crash, they might be #1.
Umm . . . what crash? Every offer I put in for a client is met by usually a dozen competing offers still. Prices are still headed up in this area and I'm not just talking about the Needham's, Newton, Wellesley's, etc. of the world. I've been doing a lot of work this year in Acton, Wrentham, Franklin and many other communities that don't have the same level of median income in town. You would think these towns would be more sensitive to higher interest rates but . . . nope.

Anyway as others have said, my belief is that your predictions seem to be based on some untrue suppositions.

Old 04-03-2023, 09:23 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,254,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
The assumption that everyone fled to the burbs with the only reason being that they were suddenly able to WFH is also absurd.

I also do not know a single person who has been told they can no longer WFH.
Not metro Boston but a group my wife used to manage was 100% remote when she left that job. A year later, they were told they had to come in every day by some troll 1000 miles away. They had 60% turnover in 60 days and the troll recanted on canceling WFH. This is a job with trivial to measure productivity metrics both in quantity of work and the expected dollar value of the work.

Related to this topic, I can see BLS data for the entire Boston MSA and for the Boston-Cambridge-Newton division. I can’t find a definition for what towns are in Boston-Cambridge-Newton. I’m trying to get a handle on urban vs suburban jobs. I suspect that Boston-Cambridge-Newton still has a bunch of car-dependent suburban in it.

Old 04-03-2023, 09:48 AM

Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Not metro Boston but a group my wife used to manage was 100% remote when she left that job. A year later, they were told they had to come in every day by some troll 1000 miles away. They had 60% turnover in 60 days and the troll recanted on canceling WFH. This is a job with trivial to measure productivity metrics both in quantity of work and the expected dollar value of the work.

Related to this topic, I can see BLS data for the entire Boston MSA and for the Boston-Cambridge-Newton division. I can’t find a definition for what towns are in Boston-Cambridge-Newton. I’m trying to get a handle on urban vs suburban jobs. I suspect that Boston-Cambridge-Newton still has a bunch of car-dependent suburban in it.
I know of a few people who were told they needed to come in twice a week. One person left over that and she lived in quincy, so not exactly far. People will find a way to WFH if they want to.

Old 04-03-2023, 10:51 AM

8,543 posts, read 14,022,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
I know of a few people who were told they needed to come in twice a week. One person left over that and she lived in quincy, so not exactly far. People will find a way to WFH if they want to.
Most people I know seem to have been called back to the office for at least a few days per week. I hear a bit of grumbling about it but can't say I know anyone who's quit over it. A good amount of people I know are still 100% WFH that were not WFH pre-COVID though.

Old 04-03-2023, 10:55 AM

23,549 posts, read 18,700,598 times
This board does seem to forget that probably the majority of jobs can't be done from home or remotely, at least on a typical day. The expressway isn't jammed for 10+ hours a day from people checking out the scenery.

Old 04-03-2023, 11:06 AM

15,796 posts, read 20,499,262 times
My company did request folks come back in person. This was well over a year ago i think at the end of '21. The WFH policy is a LOT looser however, but for the most part they want folks in office at least 2-3 days a week if your position allows it.

Old 04-03-2023, 11:32 AM

Seems like the people who were really wanted back in the office have been called back.

Old 04-03-2023, 02:57 PM

3,615 posts, read 1,840,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePRU View Post
Umm . . . what crash? Every offer I put in for a client is met by usually a dozen competing offers still. Prices are still headed up in this area and I'm not just talking about the Needham's, Newton, Wellesley's, etc. of the world. I've been doing a lot of work this year in Acton, Wrentham, Franklin and many other communities that don't have the same level of median income in town. You would think these towns would be more sensitive to higher interest rates but . . . nope.

Anyway as others have said, my belief is that your predictions seem to be based on some untrue suppositions.
We will all be sure to tell yesmaybe he was right if there is a crash. However, how can there be a crash when demand is greatly outpacing supply and has been for quite some time now? I'm still seeing things going for $25-300K over list on recently solds...not just metro west towns either....all over.

Old 04-03-2023, 03:06 PM

3,615 posts, read 1,840,863 times
https://www.coldwellbankerhomes.com/.../pid_51545447/ $51K over list

https://www.coldwellbankerhomes.com/.../pid_51285233/ $70+K over list

https://www.coldwellbankerhomes.com/.../pid_51288636/ $126K over list

https://www.coldwellbankerhomes.com/.../pid_52512417/ $40K over list

Here's a sampling from various areas of the state of over list sales. Even a so-so town like Abington, has a $40K over lister!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts