Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2023, 07:16 PM

2,710 posts, read 1,730,097 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
What are your thoughts on homes that come with a guest house? Example:

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...18989428_zpid/

I mean based on the pic, it all looks nice, the guest house looks quite livable. Whoever buys the house won't be able to rent out the guest house due to some law. It made me think why would you really want/need a guest house? First thing that comes to mind is older parents, maybe kids in college or living there temporarily after, maybe a nanny. Most of those situations are pretty temporary though...for me I just can't see getting excited about spending 2.5M on a decent house that has a guest house. Whatever the situation it's spending 2.5M to house someone else, lol
It's against the law to rent out a guesthouse? What about all those Airbnbs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2023, 07:25 PM

16,317 posts, read 8,140,203 times
I don't know to be honest but I've heard certain towns have laws about what can or can't be rented out.

Old 05-01-2023, 08:15 PM

8,547 posts, read 14,015,219 times
Quote:
I don't know to be honest but I've heard certain towns have laws about what can or can't be rented out.
They sure do! Take for example Hull, they don't allow short term rentals in the town. Strange that a seaside community known as a summer destination wouldn't allow weekly rentals but that's the case. Can you imagine if they did that on the Cape? A ton of people would probably unload their houses.

Old 05-01-2023, 08:35 PM

Default Re

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePRU View Post
They sure do! Take for example Hull, they don't allow short term rentals in the town. Strange that a seaside community known as a summer destination wouldn't allow weekly rentals but that's the case. Can you imagine if they did that on the Cape? A ton of people would probably unload their houses.
Yes I believe Duxbury has a similar rule to hull. They basically don't want it to become a touristy town I guess. I am guessing one could do something under the table so to speak but I just don't see someone paying 2.5 mil to do something like that. The guest house was actually there before the house.

Old 05-01-2023, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePRU View Post
I just searched Hull on Airbnb and there's a bunch of short term rentals available.

Old 05-01-2023, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Yes I believe Duxbury has a similar rule to hull. They basically don't want it to become a touristy town I guess. I am guessing one could do something under the table so to speak but I just don't see someone paying 2.5 mil to do something like that. The guest house was actually there before the house.
Many Airbnb available in Duxbury too.

Old 05-01-2023, 09:55 PM

I would love to have a guest house btw. I'd rather have my in laws in a separate unit than inside our house LoL.

Old 05-02-2023, 06:02 AM

Default Re

Quote:
Originally Posted by matrix5k View Post
I would love to have a guest house btw. I'd rather have my in laws in a separate unit than inside our house LoL.
Oh hell yeah. But I wouldn't be spending 2.5m for a house with a guest house for my MIL.

Old 05-02-2023, 07:20 AM

86 posts, read 46,424 times
Quote:
What are your thoughts on homes that come with a guest house? Example:

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...18989428_zpid/

I mean based on the pic, it all looks nice, the guest house looks quite livable. Whoever buys the house won't be able to rent out the guest house due to some law. It made me think why would you really want/need a guest house? First thing that comes to mind is older parents, maybe kids in college or living there temporarily after, maybe a nanny. Most of those situations are pretty temporary though...for me I just can't see getting excited about spending 2.5M on a decent house that has a guest house. Whatever the situation it's spending 2.5M to house someone else, lol
Could be for multigenerational households (asians). Nice house but 2.5M in the middle of nowhere... I don't see this happening.

Old 05-02-2023, 07:21 AM

86 posts, read 46,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgal123 View Post
The article specifically cites this happening in Wellesley. If it was Brookline, Needham, etc.similar deal. However, in regard to ranking on Swellesley, I think it's because I always remember on Mix 98.5 years back, the host would have a weekly Swellesley report segment and go thru all the 'egregious' crimes that happened in town. It was his play on an uber wealthy town where nothing bad can happen, it's always glorious in Swellesley and he would highlight the type of silly things the residents would get in an uproar over. lol
Where do you live?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts