Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2023, 10:08 AM

8,543 posts, read 14,020,436 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ca1337 View Post
I've seen MCM properties here and there in the Boston inner suburbs (Newton for instance). I'm personally partial to this style architecture but I have worries about potential resale value, because I'm not sure how popular this is with the wider Boston public.

I'm not from here so it's hard for me to tell what the market values. Would a real estate insider give me a primer on popularity of MCM homes in the 2,300-2,500 sq ft range with a price point right under 2M? Assuming recent gut reno, mint shape.

Thanks!
MCM definitely has a following and there is a percentage of the population that certainly appreciates and seeks out that specific style. Not a significant percentage but those people are out there for sure. I would say generally speaking that modern/contemporary architecture has really increased significantly in popularity around these parts. I see a ton of contemporary style new construction in most towns in the area. Lots of those "modern farmhouse" style homes but especially in Newton I see a lot of very contemporary new construction.

I don't get a ton of clients who actively seek them out this style of architecture although I've had a few in recent years. I probably get more clients who consciously avoid these MCM properties. It's not necessarily the aesthetics of the style that are problematic but often these houses are basically split level style layouts which a lot of people don't like/appreciate. I've also had clients avoid them over conceners about their energy efficiency (tons of glass and usually not a ton of insulation in these houses). As long as the house has the things that most people would want in any house you'll likely be OK (renovated kitchen and bathrooms, minimum 3-4 bedrooms on one floor, etc.).

I don't see why you would have an issue finding a house as you describe within your budget.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgang239 View Post
They are somewhat common in in Weston and Wayland, and even more so Lincoln and Lexington. Someone with more knowledge could point out why but the area drew bahaus folks and other unique designs. Might be tough under $2mil but you can look for past sales.
Concord has a good amount too. A lot of MCM architects were drawn to these areas in the 50's & 60's and put up whole neighborhoods of these homes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston_Burbs View Post
One thing that I noticed is alot had their original windows and sliders which would be big $$$ to replace. Also I question how much insulation is in the cathedral ceiling roofs.
Absolutely! I've had clients not put in offers on a MCM house because the windows and sliders were old/original. These houses typically have a TON of glass and old glass can often be very drafty and replacing that much glass can be VERY expensive.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2023, 10:43 AM

432 posts, read 414,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio516 View Post
Initial reason? In 37, Gropius and Marcel Breuer moved to Cambridge to teach at Harvard GSD and flee the Nazis. Gropius found a plot of land in Lincoln to build his house. Even in 38 when the house was done, that was a decent commute to Cambridge.

Gropius got the land from Hellen Storrow. She was so happy, she sold/gave/donated more land to 4 other Harvard professors and Gropius designed two of their houses.
Maurice Smith from MIT was pretty influential also. Maybe more Mid-Century influenced but did some cool stuff.
His Indian Hill House in Groton is pretty well known.
There is another, more contemporary house nearby that I wonder if he had a hand in. It was built as an MIT project in 1977

Old 02-08-2023, 10:55 AM

254 posts, read 257,406 times
I believe a lot the MCM houses constructed in metro west are from a builder called Acorn Deck House or something like that. My grandparents built one in Carlisle back in the day. Personally, I really like the style.

Old 02-08-2023, 11:06 AM

432 posts, read 414,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southshorebound View Post
I believe a lot the MCM houses constructed in metro west are from a builder called Acorn Deck House or something like that. My grandparents built one in Carlisle back in the day. Personally, I really like the style.
https://www.deckhouse.com/
Still in biz in Acton

Old 02-08-2023, 11:23 AM

14,246 posts, read 14,733,373 times
Techbuilt, Weston MA

https://www.weston.org/1102/Architectural-Description

Old 02-08-2023, 11:29 AM

15,962 posts, read 7,021,038 times
Some in Andover, a whole section. I love the design.

Old 02-10-2023, 12:51 PM

254 posts, read 257,406 times
https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/6...ource=txtshare

Saw this listing from Boxford in my inbox and thought of this forum. Pretty groovy interior - very 1960s MCM. A little dated, but a cool house for sure. Although, I can see myself falling off the staircase.

Old 02-10-2023, 07:26 PM

6,571 posts, read 6,736,907 times
There are a good number of them in the Morningside neighborhood of Arlington near the Winchester Country Club & the Mystic lakes.

Beautiful homes, but many of them need a lot of work after all these years.

Old 02-11-2023, 03:19 AM

531 posts, read 425,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
Some in Andover, a whole section. I love the design.
Cb2008,
Where in Andover? I’m there a lot and would love to take a look. Big MCM fan here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts