Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-08-2023, 09:10 AM

16,303 posts, read 8,126,207 times

Advertisements

Substitute teacher from Scituate:

https://www.wcvb.com/article/hingham...ested/45738188

She had some mental illness issues, had to wear a GPS device. It's interesting that she made it past the CORI testing and was able to be a sub. Every parent at my kids school has to do be CORI'ed if they want to volunteer...even to go in and read a book for 15 min.

I also think it's odd they felt the need to arrest this woman AT the school. Was it that urgent? couldnt have waited until she went home? It's not clear what she did exactly but there's a trespassing and animal abuse charge. Bad things...but not sure there was a need to arrest her at the school and someone who abuses animals should be able to teach kids in a school
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2023, 10:46 AM

7,920 posts, read 7,806,919 times
What probably happened is they did a SORI and not a CORI. Generally you should do both, especially with SORI and any access to kids. I used to manage some records like this and if they didn't get an OK they couldn't be allowed in the building.

Old 11-08-2023, 10:51 AM

ok but they messed up then. I had to do a CORI to read to a group of kids but this substitute teacher only did a SORI (if that's even what happened).

let's not forget that this is hingham as well where people pay a ton to live there...I guess that didnt matter here.

I mean having a teacher be arrested at BPS would create a scene, never mind in privileged hingham.

Old 11-08-2023, 01:59 PM

12,824 posts, read 21,993,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
I also think it's odd they felt the need to arrest this woman AT the school. Was it that urgent? couldnt have waited until she went home?
Even they didn't believe she's an imminent threat to the students, it's probably a case of CYA. It may not be pleasant for the school or students to have a teacher arrested on the property. But if they have a warrant for her arrest and know her location, even a slight risk is too much when children are involved. Can you imagine the blowback if the police decided to wait until after school to get her at home, she catches wind that she's about to be arrested, and then does something stupid like try to hold kids hostage? They'd be be legally destroyed, not to mention getting dragged relentlessly in the media. This is someone who clearly wasn't well or making good decisions. There's zero change a law enforcement agency takes that risk just to let her and the school save a little face and/or keep the kids from seeing someone get cuffed.

Old 11-08-2023, 02:03 PM

3,584 posts, read 1,816,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
Even they didn't believe she's an imminent threat to the students, it's probably a case of CYA. It may not be pleasant for the school or students to have a teacher arrested on the property. But if they have a warrant for her arrest and know her location, even a slight risk is too much when children are involved. Can you imagine the blowback if the police decided to wait until after school to get her at home, she catches wind that she's about to be arrested, and then does something stupid like try to hold kids hostage? They'd be be legally destroyed, not to mention getting dragged relentlessly in the media. This is someone who clearly wasn't well or making good decisions. There's zero change a law enforcement agency takes that risk just to let her and the school save a little face and/or keep the kids from seeing someone get cuffed.
One of the articles said they arrested her where no students were able to see it happening.

Old 11-08-2023, 02:05 PM

12,824 posts, read 21,993,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgal123 View Post
One of the articles said they arrested her where no students were able to see it happening.
Perfect. Then it's even less of an issue.

Old 11-08-2023, 02:09 PM

I did see that she was called to the office and arrested there so not many saw...apparently the incident was leaked a few days later and now the whole town and beyond know about it. People are just wondering how she was allowed to be a teacher.

Old 11-09-2023, 07:18 AM

7,920 posts, read 7,806,919 times
This isn't the first teacher that's been arrested in hingham. Notre Dame had one about 15 years ago. Private schools are extremely quiet about this because they oftentimes have lower standards in public schools. When you pay money for private school what you're really paying for is the quiet atmosphere and trying to think that you're getting better connections. The reality is it's not true at all.

I grew up near and hanging and I actually went to grad school with a former Town Administrator of Hingham who later on got into quite a bit of trouble. Hang on public schools isn't anything special just like the 128 belt isn't anything special. I worked within the two and frankly it just gets to be some little clicky place that died out after covid. If you really want to spend half a million or a million on a house because you think it gets your kid into Harvard go ahead but it's not going to really add up too much. Unless you rent out a house you're not going to make money off of that house. Otherwise it's just a line of credit which doesn't make any sense either or you do a reverse mortgage which are then kind of defies the logic because Banks might not want to buy a home back at that price to begin with.

This whole Mantra that you have to get very good grades to get into a very good school and then get a very good job so that you can buy very nice things doesn't work. Most people at hype up education do not tell you at all about Investments. Taxable Revenue is based more on income tax rather than capital gains tax. Even Trump mentioned this years ago. I would rather be given half a million dollars in Microsoft stock than to have a job working at Microsoft for half a million dollars. This is also why it's pointless want to work in the tech sector if you can just invest in it and make the same returns
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts