Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2023, 02:38 PM

9,070 posts, read 6,300,219 times

Advertisements

My extended family came from Woburn. Two of my grandparents lived in Woburn from birth until death and the other two grew up in Boston and moved to Woburn when they married. When my mother was pregnant with my younger sister, we moved to Billerica to find a larger, yet affordable place to live that could accommodate a family of four. All of my elder relatives as based out of Woburn, pronounced Billerica the way it is spelled: Bil-Ler-Rica. During the childhood years I lived there, my pronunciation morphed into Bill-Rica like someone's name: i.e. Mr. Bill Rica. In my late teen years my family moved to Maine and with time my pronunciation morphed back to Bil-Ler-Rica as I still had contact with family but no contact with Billerica area locals. After Maine, I lived in Lowell for about seven years and my pronunciation reverted back to Bill-Rica. Now living in New Hampshire without contact with Billerica / Lowell area locals, the pronunciation is reverting back to Bil-Ler-Rica. Supposedly people whose families lived in Billerica for generations pronounced it as Brica but I never, ever pronounced it that way.

I pronounce most Massachusetts communities the way MA locals do: Woobin, Woosta, Hayvrill, Bedfid, Medfid, Andovah except Billerica. Go figure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2023, 02:49 PM

23,568 posts, read 18,661,418 times
Caution: Foul language present

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8knD9XD04wA

Old 12-09-2023, 02:51 PM

9,070 posts, read 6,300,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sitonmywhat View Post
Another example of the "No R in our alphabet" is New Bedford. "Bed-fud." Jerry Remy, God bless him, was maybe the best illustration of that accent, though he was from Rhode Island. (Dustin Pedroia becomes "Dustin Pedroi-er." Martha becomes "Mah-ther.")
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostongymjunkie View Post
Native New Bedfordians would say New Beffa.
Whenever I see "...ford" at the end of a name, I pronounce it as "...fid", "...fud" just does not sound right to me. I have also heard "...ford" reduced down to the 'a' though, like Meffa or Beffa.

This topic is driving the spellcheck crazy.

Old 12-09-2023, 07:22 PM

4,859 posts, read 450,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
yes or even upstate NY. Never in my life have I said Bahston.
Ya, I laughed when I heard it used in the original movie, MASH. It was applied to Elliott Gould when he first arrived to the unit; he portrayed Trapper John McIntyre of "Bah-ston." It was done with some deliberate affectation.
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0066026/

Later, David Ogden Stiers portrayed Charles Emerson Winchester III, from "Bah-ston." He was sickened by having to do all the rush-job "meatball" surgery at MASH 4077. "Best Care Anywhere!"

Old 12-09-2023, 10:09 PM

842 posts, read 551,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtkinsonDan View Post
My extended family came from Woburn. Two of my grandparents lived in Woburn from birth until death and the other two grew up in Boston and moved to Woburn when they married. When my mother was pregnant with my younger sister, we moved to Billerica to find a larger, yet affordable place to live that could accommodate a family of four. All of my elder relatives as based out of Woburn, pronounced Billerica the way it is spelled: Bil-Ler-Rica. During the childhood years I lived there, my pronunciation morphed into Bill-Rica like someone's name: i.e. Mr. Bill Rica. In my late teen years my family moved to Maine and with time my pronunciation morphed back to Bil-Ler-Rica as I still had contact with family but no contact with Billerica area locals. After Maine, I lived in Lowell for about seven years and my pronunciation reverted back to Bill-Rica. Now living in New Hampshire without contact with Billerica / Lowell area locals, the pronunciation is reverting back to Bil-Ler-Rica. Supposedly people whose families lived in Billerica for generations pronounced it as Brica but I never, ever pronounced it that way.

I pronounce most Massachusetts communities the way MA locals do: Woobin, Woosta, Hayvrill, Bedfid, Medfid, Andovah except Billerica. Go figure.
This video is good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EfPLjwUdHoE

Old 12-11-2023, 09:14 AM

24,557 posts, read 18,230,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostongymjunkie View Post
Native Portuguese, not native NB.
Please explain the difference. LOL

Back in the 1970s when there was an actual printed phone book, there was an entire page of Manuel Medeiros.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts