Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2010, 08:40 PM

7,920 posts, read 7,810,469 times

Advertisements

Considering that we're one of the states that allows gay marriage I can't see any sort of anti gay feelings simmering in the area.

The only thing I can really consider in the area is that during the summer traffic can clog up during the summer near beaches and the cape but most tv channels report the traffic and conditions can be found online. If you do need to go into boston there's fair amounts of trains that get you there (and a boat from hingham)
the state might have a stereotype for being liberal but it might depend as to the issue. The state is much more liberal say west of Worcester near the pioneer valley. Socially I'd say it isn't so much that people here are tolerant but it's that we really don't get in other peoples faces. You can have neighborhoods that are quite quiet because most just want it that way.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2010, 04:58 AM

40 posts, read 106,225 times
I would not recommend a same sex couple move to any of those towns. Those are all very conservative areas. If you want more liberal neighborhoods, you might consider something like Jamaica Plains or South Boston.

Old 08-21-2010, 02:51 PM

116 posts, read 316,716 times
None of the towns on the South Shore are very gay friendly. I would go to the western suburbs (Concord, Lexington, Lincoln, Newton) if you want more educated/open minded people.

Old 08-21-2010, 04:31 PM

4,422 posts, read 6,256,732 times
I don't know if the South Shore towns are necessarily gay "friendly", so much as they are gay "indifferent." If someone has a problem, they would probably just keep it to his/herself. Most towns on the South Shore (ie Duxbury, Cohasset, Hingham) are very educated, but they are a little small compared to the towns posted by the poster above (Newton, Lexington). You're more likely to run across other gay couples in Greater Boston.

Old 08-22-2010, 08:59 PM

23,540 posts, read 18,687,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaioak36 View Post
None of the towns on the South Shore are very gay friendly. I would go to the western suburbs (Concord, Lexington, Lincoln, Newton) if you want more educated/open minded people.
??? You mean like educated that it takes a mother and father to raise a child?

Old 08-25-2010, 03:32 PM

12,831 posts, read 22,009,846 times
I think the OP (or any same sex couple) would be fine just about anywhere in Eastern MA. One poster said that a number of towns would be same-sex indifferent. That's just about the worst-case scenario. There are some communities where you may not find dozens of other same-sex families; but they'll still be just fine.

If you're concerned about outcry against same sex couples or intolerance I don't think you'll find that. At least not beyond the k-12 age children and random idiots hiding behind the veil of anonymity on the internet. Boston, Salem, Provincetown, and a few other communities will be where you can find some very visible same-sex communities, but everywhere else is more than O.K.

Old 09-12-2010, 01:41 AM

116 posts, read 316,716 times
Cohasset over Hingham. No question!

Old 02-27-2012, 06:21 AM

1 posts, read 1,131 times
For the same sex couple (w/3yr old) You might comsider Mansfield. We have an incredible school system. I am asenior (Lgbt) I have always felt welcome here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts