Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2024, 12:43 PM

10,033 posts, read 15,687,275 times

Advertisements

I hope she cleared this with her landlord ahead of time, lease or no lease. It would be nice to let tenants in other apartments in the building know as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2024, 02:45 PM

14,254 posts, read 14,758,164 times
Some years back I knew a father of two toddlers that "hired" a live in older woman to take care of the toddlers when he was not home. She needed and inexpensive place to live and his home had an in-law suite that she lived in and he paid her some money but not a lot. The arrangement worked out for both of them. She lived there for almost 15 years.

Old 02-16-2024, 02:46 PM

16,454 posts, read 8,242,983 times
Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
Some years back I knew a father of two toddlers that "hired" a live in older woman to take care of the toddlers when he was not home. She needed and inexpensive place to live and his home had an in-law suite that she lived in and he paid her some money but not a lot. The arrangement worked out for both of them. She lived there for almost 15 years.
I dont see the problem with that. It certainly doesn't sound like an ideal situation for the father...and he was doing what he could to better the situation. Sometimes I wonder what people expect other to do? Not everyone can afford daycare...so if they find another way that is safe and works so be it.

Old 02-16-2024, 02:51 PM

3,402 posts, read 1,556,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
I hope she cleared this with her landlord ahead of time, lease or no lease. It would be nice to let tenants in other apartments in the building know as well.
Let's just say I live in an apartment and drugs and other activity happens and I live near the upstanding town of Lexington.

Old 02-16-2024, 03:00 PM

959 posts, read 542,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
I know situations like this. For elderly people too. What I cannot see is people en masse inviting migrant families to live with them. Seriously... in US where even within extended families people rarely live under the same roof.

Remember only migrant families with kids have a right to shelter. So this means inviting families with kids.

Old 02-16-2024, 06:06 PM

6,037 posts, read 3,749,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justyouraveragetenant View Post
slaves in the South worked for free. the only difference is this woman can leave if she wants to but probably has no money. so yes working for free in any manner is slavery.

she is stuck in this situation if she works 8 hours a day for this woman because she can not get a job.
Clearly, you don't have a clue what you're talking about, but I imagine that several other people have already said the same thing. I just didn't bother to read 6 pages of comments before making my comment.

Old 02-16-2024, 06:43 PM

3,402 posts, read 1,556,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas863 View Post
Clearly, you don't have a clue what you're talking about, but I imagine that several other people have already said the same thing. I just didn't bother to read 6 pages of comments before making my comment.

You know this lefty woman is racist. She loves it that she has a hired cook for free Lefty's are the most racist and condescending.

Old 02-17-2024, 05:42 AM

10,033 posts, read 15,687,275 times
I don't believe she's racist.

Old 02-17-2024, 06:31 AM

6,706 posts, read 5,944,855 times
My town, a less wealthy community near Lexington, got about 200 Haitian families dumped into the local fleabag hotel. The state reportedly pays $6000/month per room, plus 3 meals a day delivered from Hanscom base. 2-3 families per room. My wife has visited there and was told a lot of the food was tossed because the Haitians didn’t like it. It seems the menu has been updated however to be more to their taste.

There’s not that much available apartment stock around here and it’s not clear where these people are going to go, once the hotel decides it wants to be a hotel again, though it seems like it’s just going to be a homeless shelter forever. A few long time residents of the hotel were kicked out to make room, by the way.

One or two Haitians work at the nearby McDonald’s, which will hire anybody. They speak zero English but the mostly Hispanic workers can communicate with them. Once I stopped there and had an order brought out to my car by a Haitian. I said “Is this my quarter pounder?” and he just smiled nervously and babbled a non-response. My kid, who works there, says they’re very hard workers.

I can guarantee you, no one in my town could afford to or wishes to let such people into their homes. I’m pretty sure my wife, an ultra liberal, would not do it, though I’ve not asked her. Anyway we don’t have room. No one knows why they’re here, or what the plan is for when another hundred Haitians arrive. Some of them brought children and I have no idea how the school system is going to deal with them. Suddenly adding 20 new kids to the elementary school would be difficult.

Kudos to the woman who enslaved a Haitian, but it doesn’t sound like a sustainable way to absorb the newcomers into society.

Old 02-17-2024, 06:37 AM

3,639 posts, read 1,862,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
My town, a less wealthy community near Lexington, got about 200 Haitian families dumped into the local fleabag hotel. The state reportedly pays $6000/month per room, plus 3 meals a day delivered from Hanscom base. 2-3 families per room. My wife has visited there and was told a lot of the food was tossed because the Haitians didn’t like it. It seems the menu has been updated however to be more to their taste.

There’s not that much available apartment stock around here and it’s not clear where these people are going to go, once the hotel decides it wants to be a hotel again, though it seems like it’s just going to be a homeless shelter forever. A few long time residents of the hotel were kicked out to make room, by the way.

One or two Haitians work at the nearby McDonald’s, which will hire anybody. They speak zero English but the mostly Hispanic workers can communicate with them. Once I stopped there and had an order brought out to my car by a Haitian. I said “Is this my quarter pounder?” and he just smiled nervously and babbled a non-response. My kid, who works there, says they’re very hard workers.

I can guarantee you, no one in my town could afford to or wishes to let such people into their homes. I’m pretty sure my wife, an ultra liberal, would not do it, though I’ve not asked her. Anyway we don’t have room. No one knows why they’re here, or what the plan is for when another hundred Haitians arrive. Some of them brought children and I have no idea how the school system is going to deal with them. Suddenly adding 20 new kids to the elementary school would be difficult.

Kudos to the woman who enslaved a Haitian, but it doesn’t sound like a sustainable way to absorb the newcomers into society.
Now they're catering to the menu preferences of these migrants while wasting food that plenty of other homeless in our state would love to have? Have they heard of beggars can't be choosers? I guess not since they're now so used to getting everything handed to them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts