Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2008, 07:29 PM

11 posts, read 71,999 times

Advertisements

I am looking to see if anyone does this commute (or close to it) and am interested in what it is on a daily basis. We are looking to relocate from Vermont back to Massachusetts and my wife has a great job oppurtunity with her old employer in Ashland, Ma. I will be working in Hartford and this is the half way point for both of us but I do not work regular commuter hours so the 45 minute ride is not so much an issue with me but her hours will be of the more normal working hours 8:30 to 5ish. I know it is all Mass Pike to 495 so we figure she would be on the road most days with the same people at the same time but is it a tough haul the whole way? Where are the back up mostly (Worcester? 495?) and what hours are the heaviest? If there is anyone that currently does this, how long does it take you? I appreaciate any/all feedback.

Our other option is to Move closer and we have looked at Shrewbury and liked the town but felt that Sturbridge had more of the feel we were looking for and we are trying not to pick a town for a job. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2008, 09:26 PM

2,905 posts, read 7,348,960 times
Default Sturbridge....

Shrewsbury to Hartford would be bad, esp.in the winter. Sturbridge to Ashland, I don't know. I used to go Worcester to Natick. Not usually any backup, until 495. pain in the ass, frankly. which way would she go from shrewsbury?? Rt. 9 is no picnic in the morning. Maybe someone else can chime in but the sturbridge part shouldn't be too big of a problem, barring any unusual traffic tie-ups. It should be smooth sailing through all of worcester, generally. If it was my husband and I, I'd probably stick with sturbridge. the mass pike is well taken care of in the winter.

hopefully you get some more answers.....

Old 08-17-2008, 09:59 PM

426 posts, read 1,490,116 times
We lived in Brookfield, just over the Sturbrige line and my Dh worked in Marlborough. Without any major hold ups the 45 miles would take him about 50 - 60 mins. Rte 20 in Sturbridge is a pain during peak hours, so is getting on/off the Pike at I-84 and I-495 exit/toll. Gets better once you are on the Pike and I agree that its well taken care of in winter.

My Dh found the commute very tiresome and was unhappy with having to waste 2 hrs a day on the road but he stuck with it for over 5 yrs. We relocated to NC last year and my Dh LOVES being 10 miles from work.

In your situation I think Sturbridge will be a good bet. I know of a few families who chose this area for the exact same reason you are considering it (one spouse works in Hartford, the other in Boston or wherever in MA)

GL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts