Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2008, 10:20 AM

2,027 posts, read 4,213,972 times

Advertisements

How safe is gay marriage in the state? What are the chances of it being repealed? I'm not asking these questions to start any arguments, I simply don't follow exactly how the law could be overturned so I was hoping you guys who know about MA could say one way or the other if it can or probably will be overturned or stay safe. Thanks in advance.

Old 11-05-2008, 10:21 AM

385 posts, read 1,456,406 times
I don't think it will be overturned here. There isn't enough support to get it on the ballot like there was in CA. Also, it's now been legal for several years so I think most people are simply used to it.

Old 11-05-2008, 10:32 AM
miu

17,770 posts, read 40,214,467 times
I think that gay marriages are very safe in MA. There is a lot of tolerance for alternative lifestyles here. I don't know why the other thread got locked (the one about same-sex marriage and churches in MA) but about 5-6 years ago I attended a lovely lesbian wedding in Groton at the First Parish Unitarian Church there.

First Parish Church of Groton

Old 11-05-2008, 10:32 AM

194 posts, read 408,945 times
Safe. It isn't much of an issue anymore

Old 11-05-2008, 10:46 AM

10,041 posts, read 15,707,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
I think that gay marriages are very safe in MA. There is a lot of tolerance for alternative lifestyles here. I don't know why the other thread got locked (the one about same-sex marriage and churches in MA) but about 5-6 years ago I attended a lovely lesbian wedding in Groton at the First Parish Unitarian Church there.

First Parish Church of Groton
Oh, I can answer that. That thread was locked because the original poster had received the correct answer from several people, and the rest of the comments had to either heavily edited or deleted entirely due to bashing of certain denominations.

Old 11-05-2008, 12:35 PM

2,605 posts, read 4,849,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lz1982 View Post
I don't think it will be overturned here. There isn't enough support to get it on the ballot like there was in CA. Also, it's now been legal for several years so I think most people are simply used to it.
There was enough support to put it on the ballot.
Unfortunately we have a legislature who decided that they knew better than us and they killed it.

Old 11-05-2008, 01:08 PM

1,004 posts, read 2,707,737 times
You have to keep in mind this is a very progressive area of the country. Unlike CA, we don't have too many pockets of the traditional (Orange County-type) "conservatives" that push the agenda. Most of the opponents that have attempted to have same sex marriage overturned were not even from this area. "Conservative" in the minds of Bay Staters means that what you do in your backyard is YOUR business, and if you're not breaking the law or hurting anyone, it should be respected. Growing up I never appreciated living in Mass, but as I travelled around the country, I learned otherwise and to be proud our state. Sadly, it seems in order to live in a progressive area of the country like CA, NY or MA you have to make a good living, because the popularity of blue states has caused them to become more and more expensive.

Last edited by 1979; 11-05-2008 at 01:25 PM..

Old 11-05-2008, 03:24 PM

894 posts, read 1,561,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1979 View Post
because the popularity of blue states has caused them to become more and more expensive.
Taxes, zoning, restrictive business regulations, etc. have made blues states expensive places to live.

Old 11-05-2008, 03:30 PM

18,737 posts, read 33,444,122 times
I'd say close to zero (although you never know about people who live elsewhere who stay up late at night trying to figure out if other people are doing something "unacceptable" in the privacy of their own lives and homes).
The sheer fact of gay marriage being a fact on the ground means it would take a real activation energy to change it, and I don't think there is that energy here. There are plenty of same-sex marriages (even some co-workers!) and the Republic is still standing, and so far I don't see any proof that same-sex married couples have had a corrosive effect on hetero marriages.
I say, let gay people make the same mess of it that straight people have...

Old 11-05-2008, 08:42 PM

1,004 posts, read 2,707,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustmove View Post
Taxes, zoning, restrictive business regulations, etc. have made blues states expensive places to live.
This has more to do with economy. If businesses leave, the economy will reflect in a depreciation in property values. The Boston metro area has maintained resilience. Think about it...... if Mass becomes more attractive to business, will that cause property values to up...or down? Obviously, they would go up even higher.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts