Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2009, 09:44 AM

12,825 posts, read 21,999,989 times

Advertisements

^Though he's not from the city, Herman Melville's influence on New Bedford can't be overstated. His inspiration for "Moby Dick" came from sailing aboard the New Bedford Whaling ship, the "Acushnet." Melville stated that his life, "began that day." The city has a "Herman Melville Square" in the heart of the Whaling District, a statue of him near city hall, and has preserved many buildings and landmarks mentioned in his book, "Moby Dick."

In fact, today the city is hosting its annual "Moby Dick Marathon" at the Whaling Museum where readers read the entire book out loud. Everyone's favorite representative, Barney Frank was one of the readers. Full story here: SouthCoastToday.com: A novel idea
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2009, 07:03 PM

9,912 posts, read 13,898,300 times
Thanks for the info about Melville and the Whaling Museum and Moby Dick marathon lrfox, very interesting. I got a little interested in Melville while researching references to him in Suddenly Last Summer when I was dramaturg for a production of the play. I was particularly impressed to discover he is the grandfather of the musician Moby.

Anyway, I've managed to get myself a small travel book on Boston with lists of Top 10 things to do and see and I'm reading my way through it now. It does include day trips to particular areas outside of Boston and a lot of other great stuff so I'll keep reading but might be back with questions if nobody minds.

Old 04-06-2009, 07:20 PM

21,353 posts, read 8,448,246 times
Moonie, when are you coming to Mass? If your plans do end up including the Cape (I actually live halfway down the Cape even though my screen name says CoastalMaine), I hope we can meet and greet over a little bite or spot of tea! I'd love to meet you in person!

Old 04-06-2009, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastalMaine View Post
Moonie, when are you coming to Mass? If your plans do end up including the Cape (I actually live halfway down the Cape even though my screen name says CoastalMaine), I hope we can meet and greet over a little bite or spot of tea! I'd love to meet you in person!
Not till the end of the year CM. I'm hoping for mid October til Mid January but if I can't manage that then before Christmas (maybe just before Thanksgiving) and then stay for about 6 weeks and go home in early 2010. (is it nearly 2010 already???? )

It would be great to catch up for tea or cawfee. I'd really like to meet you in person also. I'm sure we can wangle something.

Old 10-10-2009, 02:12 AM

Default Bay Staters & New Englanders please tell me about......

...your Top 10 favorite things to do in Winter.

I've just discovered that a whole bunch of the places that I'd like to visit while I'm in Massachusetts will be closed over the winter months and I figure you can't all be locking yourselves inside your houses and hibernating for the whole of winter, (surely?? ) so I'm wondering what kinds of things you like to do?

I'll be in Massachusetts from Thanksgiving til late January and I've got a list of great things to get through in early December (thanks to those of you that made some great suggestions for me before ) but now I'm wondering about what you folks do when the snow comes.

I'll be going sledding, ice skating and sleigh riding and there's Christmas obviously. We're planning some car trips and to see bands and some theatre. I also intend to get to as many galleries and museums as I can when the weather turns cold but a lot of them don't appear to be open, so what is your favorite thing to do that time of year? Any suggestions on the quintessential Massachusetts Winter experience?

Old 11-18-2009, 12:42 AM

Ok, I'm on the eve of my great adventure here. AND it's stinking hot but I'm sure that's about to change for me very quickly.

Anyway, I just wanted to say thank you to all of you for all the really useful info you provided me with here and in the other threads on Massachusetts. It's been a HUGE help in planning my trip.

THANK YOU!!!

Old 11-18-2009, 07:37 AM

294 posts, read 1,107,084 times
I didn't see anyone mention the Basketball Hall of Fame in Springfield! How could anyone forget that as we are such a sports loving culture here in Mass.? That's a great day trip as well!

Old 11-18-2009, 01:59 PM

289 posts, read 1,270,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshadow View Post
...your Top 10 favorite things to do in Winter.

I've just discovered that a whole bunch of the places that I'd like to visit while I'm in Massachusetts will be closed over the winter months and I figure you can't all be locking yourselves inside your houses and hibernating for the whole of winter, (surely?? ) so I'm wondering what kinds of things you like to do?

I'll be in Massachusetts from Thanksgiving til late January and I've got a list of great things to get through in early December (thanks to those of you that made some great suggestions for me before ) but now I'm wondering about what you folks do when the snow comes.

I'll be going sledding, ice skating and sleigh riding and there's Christmas obviously. We're planning some car trips and to see bands and some theatre. I also intend to get to as many galleries and museums as I can when the weather turns cold but a lot of them don't appear to be open, so what is your favorite thing to do that time of year? Any suggestions on the quintessential Massachusetts Winter experience?
Locking ourselves inside and hibernating is actually kind of accurate...Some people like to ski.

Check out La Salette for Christmas. They deck the whole place out in Christmas lights and it's a lot of fun. Christmas at the Shrine (http://www.lasalette-shrine.org/Christmas.html - broken link)

Have a good time!

Old 11-20-2009, 01:03 PM

12,825 posts, read 21,999,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by felicitev21 View Post
I didn't see anyone mention the Basketball Hall of Fame in Springfield! How could anyone forget that as we are such a sports loving culture here in Mass.? That's a great day trip as well!
I read your reply and thought, "yeah! how could someone forget that!?" Then I re-read the first page of this thread. In the first reply to the original post the International Basketball Hall of Fame was mentioned as one of the sights to see in the Pioneer Valley area. It's absolutely a big deal!

Old 11-21-2009, 08:18 AM

91 posts, read 330,201 times
Stockbridge: The Norman Rockwell Museum Norman Rockwell Museum*|*The Home for American Illustration.
Westminster: Wachusett Brewing Company Wachusett Brewing Company
Princeston: Wachusett Mountain(any time of year) Wachusett Mountain State Reservation
South Deerfield: Yankee Candle Village Yankee Candle Company

Lowell: Lowell Spinners Baseball Lowell Spinners: Home
Boston: Museum of Fine Arts Museum of Fine Arts, Boston: Home
Boston: Park Street Church and Granary Burying Ground www.parkstreet.org
Worcester: Higgins Armory Museum
Higgins Armory Museum - Worcester, MA - A Museum of Arms and Armor
Springfield: Dr. Seuss National Memorial Sculpture Garden Dr. Seuss National Memorial History
Charlemont: Mohawk Trail Massachusetts Vacations - The seasons come alive on the Mohawk Trail - Western MA Vacations - New England Getaways with nearby Shopping, Arts, and Outdoor Adventure - Western MA Attractions - The Mohawk Trail Region
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts