Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2009, 02:08 PM

289 posts, read 1,271,869 times

Advertisements

I think the OP already left, but Historic Deerfield should really be added to the list! I'm surprised no one's mentioned it. http://www.historic-deerfield.org/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2009, 08:08 AM

3,440 posts, read 6,549,878 times
I don't know quite how they manage it but when the Aussies come to the US they seem to manage to stay about 6 weeks. That must sure get expensive and of course if they are employed, they have very generous vacation time.

I would love to be able to afford to spend 6 weeks - or even 2 weeks in Europe.

Old 12-01-2009, 07:11 AM

185 posts, read 535,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshadow View Post
I'm looking forward to coming to Massachusetts in 2009 and I'd love to hear from people that have spent some time in the area.

What are your Top 10 things to see, do and experience in Massachusetts?

Maybe someone mentioned this already but the JOHN QUINCY ADAMS Estate in Quincy is wonderful. The NPS does an excellent job. Start @ the Visitor's Center.

David McCullough's book entitled John Adams is fantastic read. Made my recent visit to the estate all the more interesting, including my visits to Concord and Lexington.

Enjoy. I hope you fall in love with New England.

Old 12-20-2009, 03:03 PM

9,912 posts, read 13,904,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by felicitev21 View Post
I didn't see anyone mention the Basketball Hall of Fame in Springfield! How could anyone forget that as we are such a sports loving culture here in Mass.? That's a great day trip as well!
Thanks felicitev. Actually someone did mention it in the thread already. I'm not sure if I'll make it to Springfield but if I do I'm looking forward to both the Basketball Hall of Fame AND the Dr Suess National Memorial.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theh View Post
Locking ourselves inside and hibernating is actually kind of accurate...Some people like to ski.

Check out La Salette for Christmas. They deck the whole place out in Christmas lights and it's a lot of fun. Christmas at the Shrine (http://www.lasalette-shrine.org/Christmas.html - broken link)

Have a good time!
Aah! Thanks for that theh. I'm actually finding plenty to do here in the snow, case in point I just finished shovelling the driveway.
We are going to be going snowmobiling in January and ice skating at some point. I'm hoping for Frog Pond at Boston Common.
Now I'm here an in it I can see why folks need to be indoors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blehman View Post
Stockbridge: The Norman Rockwell Museum Norman Rockwell Museum*|*The Home for American Illustration.
Westminster: Wachusett Brewing Company Wachusett Brewing Company
Princeston: Wachusett Mountain(any time of year) Wachusett Mountain State Reservation
South Deerfield: Yankee Candle Village Yankee Candle Company

Lowell: Lowell Spinners Baseball Lowell Spinners: Home
Boston: Museum of Fine Arts Museum of Fine Arts, Boston: Home
Boston: Park Street Church and Granary Burying Ground www.parkstreet.org
Worcester: Higgins Armory Museum
Higgins Armory Museum - Worcester, MA - A Museum of Arms and Armor
Springfield: Dr. Seuss National Memorial Sculpture Garden Dr. Seuss National Memorial History
Charlemont: Mohawk Trail Massachusetts Vacations - The seasons come alive on the Mohawk Trail - Western MA Vacations - New England Getaways with nearby Shopping, Arts, and Outdoor Adventure - Western MA Attractions - The Mohawk Trail Region
All excellent suggestions blehman, thank you.

We've actually managed a trip to Yankee Candle at South Deerfield and took in the Magic Wings Butterfly exhibit while we were there. So lovely and warm and tropical inside and the butterflies are just gorgeous.
Yesterday we headed into Boston and followed the Freedom Trail down to the Charles River. We also spent quite a bit of time checking out Fanueil Hall, Quincy Market that area. We stopped at quite a few quaint and interesting little historic spots along the Freedom Trail and I thoroughly enjoyed it.
These other suggestions are great but I suspect I'll not get to all of them this trip as we're running out of time now, not to mention the snow and cold weather makes some things less appealing than others. Might manage them next time. (IN SUMMER!!! )

Quote:
Originally Posted by theh View Post
I think the OP already left, but Historic Deerfield should really be added to the list! I'm surprised no one's mentioned it. Historic Deerfield | Opening Doorways To The Past.
Actually we've been out to Historic Deerfield twice now! I love it! We went the last weekend in November so we could go on the houses tours before they closed for the season. They had a lot of folks dressed in period costume doing all manner of interesting things of the time period. Then we went back the second week of December and stayed overnight in the Deerfield Inn. It was wonderful!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newdaawn View Post
I don't know quite how they manage it but when the Aussies come to the US they seem to manage to stay about 6 weeks. That must sure get expensive and of course if they are employed, they have very generous vacation time.

I would love to be able to afford to spend 6 weeks - or even 2 weeks in Europe.
Most Australians get 4 weeks annual leave plus ADO's and Public Holidays. Most companies will also allow people to apply for a month's leave at a time for overseas travel. Seeing as it can be very pricey to buy the airline ticket to get most anywhere it makes sense to stay as long as possible and most Aussies tend to do it that way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by camer View Post
Maybe someone mentioned this already but the JOHN QUINCY ADAMS Estate in Quincy is wonderful. The NPS does an excellent job. Start @ the Visitor's Center.

David McCullough's book entitled John Adams is fantastic read. Made my recent visit to the estate all the more interesting, including my visits to Concord and Lexington.

Enjoy. I hope you fall in love with New England.
Thanks camer. We're definitely still planning on heading to Concord and Lexington. Now that MM is back at work we're doing our adventuring on the weekends. Plus Christmas has us concentrating on day trips in between all the hussle and bustle of organizing for Christmas.

We've managed a couple of trips to Old Sturbridge Village, which I just adore, including an evening visit as part of the 12 Days of Christmas and we had Thanksgiving there as well. It was very interesting and I'd thoroughly recommend it to tourists and locals alike.

There's been a day trip to Connecticut to go antiquing and we had lobster on the lake at Webster on the way home.

We spent 3 days at Marthas Vineyard and enjoyed some gorgeous weather and some fabulous sights and scenery. I am particularly thrilled I got to see the Gingerbread Houses at Oaks Bluff and I loved Edgarton.
We also drove along The Cape to Provincetown and enjoyed more lovely sunshine and warm weather and found it to be my kind of place.

We've had a day trip to Rhode Island to check out The Mansions. Still not sure what I think about all that. But they really are something to see.

Attended some wonderful concerts at the Hanover Theatre and the world class Mechanics Hall in Worcester. (The acoustics at Mechanics Hall are magnificent and it's such a gorgeous building.) We've also managed a trip to Northampton to Pearl Street Ballroom to see Dropkick Murphys which I'm so thrilled about. AND we've been out to Mill Street Brews at Southbridge to see Crumb and Marcy Playground. An excellent venue with an excellent staff and the bands were great too!

As I said earlier we've had two trips out to Deerfield, both were excellent and if you ever get a chance to eat at Champney's at The Deerfield Inn, DO IT!!! It's top tucker!

We've been enjoying trying out all the local real American Diners, managed to see my first ever live Hockey game and we're planning on going to another and we've still got a list a mile long of things I want to do before I go home at the end of January.

I have to say I really am loving it here.
And thanks again to all of you for your suggestions and information, it's greatly appreciated.

Old 12-21-2009, 08:37 PM

67 posts, read 414,725 times
Get a No R Tshirt

Old 03-20-2012, 08:08 PM

13 posts, read 14,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshadow View Post
... Most Australians get 4 weeks annual leave plus ADO's and Public Holidays. Most companies will also allow people to apply for a month's leave at a time for overseas travel. Seeing as it can be very pricey to buy the airline ticket to get most anywhere it makes sense to stay as long as possible and most Aussies tend to do it that way.
Spot on there Moonshadow... and I really do miss that 4wk/yr accumulating paid leave!

This is a great thread ... we'll be posting a link to it on our network's MA group for sure... I think we should make it mandatory reading for any Aussies venturing up MA way !!!

Incidentally, there's a growing group of Australians In The USA who are networking & working together to help keep the community of Aussie (& Kiwi) expats across the US in touch...

We have a facebook page for our national network - search: "Australians In The USA"

There you will find a list of our "geographically relevant / convenient" groups throughout the USA - one for each and every US state - including MASSACHUSETTS ! (the specific groups welcome & serve expats who are current or past residents of that state, & are from, or who have family who are from, down under).

Cheers !
Darren.

PS You guys are all such very hospitable and helpful folks!

Old 03-20-2012, 08:39 PM

422 posts, read 1,476,088 times
might be interesting to do a tour of one of the working cranberry bogs too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts