Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2009, 09:55 PM

22 posts, read 83,474 times

Advertisements

Hello

We are moving to Lexington (never visited the Boston area!) next month and I wanted to check where can I do my Chinese groceries nearby?

Where we are now there is a store "Sprouts" which is a farmer's market store (something in between Trader's Joe - with more choice - and Whole Foods - but cheaper) where I shop for cheaper organic/natural produce and meat. Anything similar in the neighborhood?

Also, any recommendation for good dim sum restaurants? Or Vietnamese restaurants?

Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2009, 10:02 PM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,180,569 times
I'd recommend checking out the Super 88 Markets in Allston and Medford. Free parking and you don't have to deal with the congestion and traffic of Boston's Chinatown. Allston has a few good Vietnamese restaurants, Pho Pasteur and V Majestic and they are on the same street as the Super 88 Market, Brighton Ave. There's also a good dim sum restaurant there. In Newton, there is a good Chinese restaurant on California St. called Chung-Shin Yuan that serves dim sum on the weekend, otherwise, Chinatown is best for that. China Pearl and Grand Chau Chow are my favorite ones.

Old 02-21-2009, 09:54 AM

2,312 posts, read 7,528,127 times
The Super 88 in Allston is not that great. The produce is rotten, the fish is suspect. When I buy the meat there I'm always wondering if I should. Whenever I go there I feel like they're just about to go out of business. Maybe the one in Medford is better. Try that one first. I used to shop at the one in Quincy all the time--it had a very strong Vietnamese customer base.

I heard there is a very good fish market in Cambridge somewhere--my friend from Taiwan would only buy from there. I just get whatever from whole foods or Wulf's in Brookline. My standards aren't the highest.

I haven't had a good Vietnamese meal here yet--but I haven't really been on a mission. I will try the places Miu suggested since they are convenient. I have found that Chowhound is a fantastic resource when trying to find good restaurants and food shopping. There are some real experts on this very topic on that site.

I love Shabu Zen in Allston--it's a hot pot place. Hot pot places are super popular in Boston. There's also another place in Allston that's gotten great reviews, Shanghai Gate. Haven't tried it. And there's a really good dim sum place in Brighton called Gitmo's.

You are entering asian food paradise here in Boston--welcome!

Old 02-21-2009, 10:24 AM
miu

Super 88 is still convenient because of the parking and the selection of Asian groceries on their shelves is very extensive. We like their frozen dumpling offerings and their frozen edamane beans are cheaper than at Whole Foods. For the best quality fish and meats, she should stick with Whole Foods, although I do all my meat shopping at Stop n Shop. In Allston, I like the Chinese restaurant in the food court. I like to buy from their case of roast ducks, roast pork with the crispy skin, and the soy chickens.

Old 02-21-2009, 03:50 PM

42 posts, read 162,820 times
There is a Trader Joe's in Burlington just outside Lexington near Rt 128. There is also a Trader Joe's in Arlington, not too far from Lexington either. The Super88 close to Medford is in Malden, a little further away from Lexington. Fish and vegetables are OK there. There is an Italian grocery store in Waltham that offers very fresh stuff at lower price than Wholefoods. Sorry I can't recall the name right now.

Old 02-22-2009, 02:37 PM

1,810 posts, read 10,488,925 times
Just to clarify.... Neither of MIU's suggestion is Vietnamese.
Chung-Shin Yuan is a Taiwanese dim sum place only Sat and Sun.

China Pearl and Grand Chau Chow in Chinatown are Hong Kong/Cantonese Style dim sum. There are 2-3 more restaurants that serve similar things in Chinatown.

Dim Sum Chef in the food court of 88 supermarket in Allston is also very good.

Gitmo's... I think you mean Gitlo's Dim Sum Bakery in Allston. I never been to... but has good review for food but not service.

Shanghai Gate as the name says... is Shanghai dim sum... they serve very different things.... but I find their quality best...

As to Vietnamese... There are so many of them... so similar... I could not recommend any.... If you're in Atrium Mall shopping... I would go the LE's simply because of their $6 noodles...

Beside Chinatown/Allston/Brighton... Quincy, Malden, Cambridge, Newton has very high concentration of Chinese. They usually have grocery stores and restaurants that supports the population. (Lexington used to have a grocery store until the rent is too expensive... and Upper Crust pizza took over..)

As other posters says... if you're shopping for meat and vegetables... you can get most of them in local supermarket or farmers market. Wilson Farm in Lexington.... Roche Brothers... all have very good selections. Chinese markets do offer more varieties... of seafood... special cuts... and spices... You can even get Thai Jasmine rice from Costco nowadays....

Here's a list of Chinese Supermarket... from the Chinese newspaper website.... If you are looking for Chinese Language School..... there is a good list also...
http://www.wjbusiness.com/wjb_ma.htm

Last edited by smarty; 02-22-2009 at 03:40 PM..

Old 02-22-2009, 05:54 PM
miu

Quote:
Originally Posted by smarty View Post
Just to clarify.... Neither of MIU's suggestion is Vietnamese.
Sorry my post was confusing, but I am right about the restaurants I said were Vietnamese.

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Allston has a few good Vietnamese restaurants, Pho Pasteur and V Majestic and they are on the same street as the Super 88 Market, Brighton Ave.
Pho Pasteur and V Majestic ARE indeed Vietnamese restaurants and very good ones at that... and there is at least one Vietnamese restaurant in the Super 88 food court.

Old 02-22-2009, 06:22 PM

2,312 posts, read 7,528,127 times
Yes, as I was writing Gitmo's I was associating it with Guantanamo Bay and it didn't set right with me.... Gitlo's it is, and the food is a little slow coming, but it's good.

Thanks!

Old 02-22-2009, 09:01 PM
miu

Russo's in Watertown has a great reputation as a market. I noticed their name in a recent newspaper article. They carry wild boar bacon!

Welcome to Russo's

Old 02-23-2009, 11:21 AM

1,810 posts, read 10,488,925 times
I just remember YangTze River restaurant right in Lexington has dim sum buffet brunch on weekends. However, $14pp is a little too much for me.... I cannot eat that much... and I walk back out
Yangtze River Restaurant

Wilson Farm is an upscale farm or farmers market in Lexington... lots of fresh vegetables...
Wilson Farms Growing Since 1884

I love MIU's suggestion... Russo Farm. They are very good. But, it may be a little out of the way for you guys.

I'm still hoping... H-mart (Korean Supermarket - w/50K sq ft building)... originally going to open in early 2009 in Burlington... but it does not look good... and no construction yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts