Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2009, 06:21 AM

45 posts, read 199,574 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone, new to the board. We are planning to get married either this fall or next summer and are planning for 125 people, about half coming from out of town. We are paying for this ourselves and are getting prices in the $13000 range for the reception... ouch! Wondering if anyone knows of a cheap(er) place on the North Shore or in southern NH where we could hold the reception and keep the costs down to a dull roar. Hopefully we can get out of this for $8000 or less (our savings!). We are willing to cut everything but the guest list! Any help at all would be greatly appreciated. All ideas welcome. Thanks!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2009, 06:35 AM

10,007 posts, read 15,656,467 times
Maybe something like a clambake? This company does them: Ipswich Clambake, I'm sure there are several others.

My daughter had a friend who had her wedding at a college and they had a barbeque catered from a local restaurant. She said it was wonderful.

Old 05-14-2009, 11:05 AM

45 posts, read 199,574 times
We've considered Ipswich Clambake... we eat there about once a month. Prices are reasonable, but we would also need a place to hold the event, any ideas on that?

Old 05-14-2009, 11:21 AM

10,007 posts, read 15,656,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmak57 View Post
We've considered Ipswich Clambake... we eat there about once a month. Prices are reasonable, but we would also need a place to hold the event, any ideas on that?
No, but maybe another poster will have some ideas. In the meantime have you checked out Wedding Dresses - Wedding Cakes - Wedding Planning - Unique Wedding Ideas - By TheKnot.com. There's lots of local help for Boston area wedding suggestions there. The only other suggestion I can think of is to get in touch with one of these caterers themselves and maybe they can give you some ideas?

Old 05-15-2009, 05:18 AM

74 posts, read 287,135 times
The Elks at Bass Rocks is a nice place. Went to a wedding there years ago. The view is spectacular. Couldn't believe it was an Elks hall. There's also a Legion Hall on the ocean up there too,.

Old 05-15-2009, 03:50 PM

133 posts, read 559,106 times
I was going to suggest THE ELKS

Just about every Elks has a hall and they are really reasonable. If you are or know a member you get a discount.
Some of the nicer ones I know of are in Medford, MA
Billerica, MA Tewksbury/Wilmington Lodge in MA and Woburn, MA all have nice halls. I know there is one in Nasua, NH but I've never been in the hall. Give them a shot.

Old 06-06-2009, 08:22 AM

639 posts, read 3,527,532 times
Definitely check one of the ELKS halls out. You can save a LOT by going this route. Getting your own caterer in & all that will save you a mint all around with one of these halls. I was going to suggest the town of Hampton's Galley Hatch Conference Center on Rte 1 along Lafayette Road. It's actually down in back of the Inn of Hampton along Rte 1, you'd never know it was there from the road, yet once you drive up to it, you'll be amazed like us that it's even there. When you walk in to this place you'll be surprised too, it's gorgeous! But from what I remember of it I think they charge you for the function room & you'd be using the Galley Hatch's catering business, that I know for a fact. Yet, they do quite a business with this function place, let me tell you, it's always busy. We ended up having my mothers birthday party with them and they did a fantastic job. Their food was wonderful & the room they gave us was positively beautiful & a perfect size for our 75 guests. We had a blast having this party there. The waitresses couldn't believe it was some ones 80th there were so many people up dancing & having a great time, it was pretty funny! Here's their site to check it out, you should call them to see what they can do for you just the same:

Galley Hatch Conference Center

Best of luck wherever you have it & Best Wishes too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts