Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2009, 08:49 AM

202 posts, read 505,117 times

Advertisements

Senate OKs 25% sales tax increase - BostonHerald.com

Quote:
The state Senate approved a 25 percent sales tax hike last night and removed the exemption on booze, bringing recession-ravaged Bay State residents one step closer to paying more at the cash register.
Senators also passed a municipal package that would let cities and towns boost taxes on meals and lodging despite their concerns that taxpayers might seek payback - in the voting booth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2009, 10:51 AM

548 posts, read 2,097,953 times
Big deal. Pay your taxes if you want police, fire, public schools, road repair, snow removal, services for elderly and disabled and children, etc.

Old 05-20-2009, 11:05 AM

2,541 posts, read 5,852,730 times
Is this really going to matter to anyone? Say you are going to spend $1000 on something that is taxable. Are you really going to driver to NH to save $50? Once this passes, are you going to drive to NH to save $62.50? Does the $12.50 make a difference?

Old 05-20-2009, 11:05 AM

289 posts, read 1,271,703 times
You know that's still below the national average, right? I think we can live.

Old 05-20-2009, 11:25 AM

371 posts, read 1,162,069 times
Sounds like a consensus. Glad you Mass Morons are happy.

I just don't get the rationale behind wanting to pay more and more taxes - are you really getting a bang for you tax buck with the Massachusetts government? seriously

Old 05-20-2009, 11:36 AM

2,726 posts, read 6,115,039 times
This moron is content.

Old 05-20-2009, 11:36 AM

12,873 posts, read 22,035,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dognh View Post

I just don't get the rationale behind wanting to pay more and more taxes - are you really getting a bang for you tax buck with the Massachusetts government? seriously
I just don't get the rationale behind wanting to come onto the Massachusetts forum and bash everything we do. If you're in NH... why the hell do you care? I've been amazed by how much people who live in other states are so concerned with how we live in Massachusetts. I couldn't care less what you guys do in NH. I'm happy here in Mass. I'll happily pay my slightly increased sales tax (I paid more when I lived in Maine where I absolutely detested living). If you're happy in NH, then good for you, why is it that you have nothing better to do than bash the way of life in Massachusetts?

End rant. I'll continue being a moron. At least I'll be a moron who has better things to do than complain about minor tax increases in other states.

Old 05-20-2009, 11:45 AM

278 posts, read 703,436 times
Wow some of you are out of your minds.

Its not that the increased sales tax is going to affect most of us in a meaningful way. It is the principle of the increase that is the problem.

A permanent tax increase to fix a temporary revenue problem. What will happen during the next recession? The state will get used to the extra money, and we'll be right back in the same boat. Meanwhile, there has been no significant reforms to common areas of government waste (pensions, transportation, the list goes on......)

Old 05-20-2009, 11:59 AM

2,605 posts, read 4,844,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teachertype View Post
Big deal. Pay your taxes if you want police, fire, public schools, road repair, snow removal, services for elderly and disabled and children, etc.
This is exactly what the legislature hopes you will say. The clueless masses.

Explain to me why the cost to run this state increases 8% per year and has doubled since 1999, then we'll talk.

Old 05-20-2009, 12:02 PM

2,605 posts, read 4,844,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dognh View Post

These people just do not seem to understand dognh. When they all voted to keep the income tax they sent a message to the legislature. Money? We don't need money.

The income tax is next mark my words and you will still get these people who have not the remotest idea of what they are talking about saying "Big deal, it's only another 2% out of your paycheck".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts