Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2009, 11:12 AM

20,797 posts, read 9,739,063 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crispo View Post
I've been playing quite a bit of golf around the RI/Mass area this summer. I've joined up to play with many Mass/RI native strangers at the course. They are helpful when it comes to finding lost balls and quick to compliment a nice shot. However, not one has asked me where I work or really any personal information at all. Now this is a captive situation - we are stuck with me for a couple of hours with no escape. I do this to network about career opportunities, but with natives it's nearly impossible. Come on guys lighten up - you might learn something :-)

I think that maybe because we were taught manners when we were growing up and part of them was to mind our own business. Maybe these people know you are just looking for a career opportunity.

Clevedark you sure seem to have no problem insulting people. Maybe some act insane just to escape your criticism.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2009, 11:41 AM

12,825 posts, read 21,993,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyworld View Post
I think that maybe because we were taught manners when we were growing up and part of them was to mind our own business. Maybe these people know you are just looking for a career opportunity.

Clevedark you sure seem to have no problem insulting people. Maybe some act insane just to escape your criticism.
This seems like you're the one being insulting (by claiming how people act a certain way just to avoid these two forum members).

I believe people playing golf casually are probably doing just that... not trying to avoid talking to him/her to avoid discussion of his/her career opportunity.

Furthermore, you can't tell me you've never met anyone in MA who seems a little loopy. Personally, I enjoy the good with the bad. My best friends are here in MA and I love them to death. I enjoy hanging out with them and we are, for lack of better terminology, BFFLs. That being said, running into some nuts can be rather funny (sometimes depressing) if you look at it lightly. Mass is a very liberal state. There are going to be some incredibly left-wing nut cases. Just like if you went to any super conservative area, there will be some incredibly RIGHT wing nut cases. Nut cases and extremists on either end are, well, nutty and I find it to be amusing (except when one has a position of power). I don't think it's insulting to make an observation along those lines. Clevedark didn't say, "everyone in MA was nuts" and it shouldn't be taken as an insult. I love this state, but there are some incredible nut jobs here and to deny that is to be oblivious.

Old 06-05-2009, 12:01 PM

20,797 posts, read 9,739,063 times
You know I did come off that way and I am sorry......
AND I know plenty of nutjobs. I guess I am so very tired of people grouping everyone in MA together and I am tired of the bashing threads so again I apologize. There are plenty of good/bad people in every state.

I too love this state I have lived here all my life.

Old 06-05-2009, 01:21 PM

1,801 posts, read 3,553,043 times
I thought people from Massachusetts (and New England as a whole) were very kind and polite. Friendly, more than enough, in a nicely reserved way. I am from a rainy, Atlantic, mild-to-cold place (Galicia), not as cold as Massachusetts is but cold by Southern European standards. We have a reputation for being quiet and not friendly to strangers, but that's not true, at least the second part of it. We're certainly not Andalusians or Mediterraneans but we're friendly and feisty enough for our taste. I second the theory that the climate has a lot to do with the character of a country or region and each one of us will generally tend to prefer the kind of people and place we're more familiar with.

As I said, I loved people from Massachusetts. I even made some friends in relatively little time.

Old 06-06-2009, 07:08 AM

50,339 posts, read 63,906,560 times
I was raised in MA and moved to the midwest after I got married. My reservedness comes from my background of rather stoic English and Swedish people...and NE was thickly settled by those nationalities. We aren't super outgoing and don't really trust those who are.

Old 06-06-2009, 05:32 PM

2,312 posts, read 7,523,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyworld View Post

Oh, please, I was just sayin'. I wasn't talking about anyone on this board.

Old 06-06-2009, 05:53 PM

394 posts, read 1,397,414 times
Hey, even the Globe was picking up on this:

Where do all the neurotics live? - The Boston Globe

Old 06-08-2009, 09:29 PM

81 posts, read 331,896 times
Absolutely agree with Teachertype. We moved to Worcester fourteen years ago. I have to say it took us MANY YEARS! to make some friends among the locals. For years, all of our friends were the ones like us, people who came to live here from some other places, both in USA and abroad. The locals seem very suspicious of your outsider's culture.after many years they get used to your presence in the neighborhood, you start talking their talk... and --TATA!you become accepted and loved, and appreciated. It took us around 10 years though to break that wall. Once you break it, they couldn't be nicer, but that's a tough brick wall all right!!!

Old 06-09-2009, 07:34 AM

1,446 posts, read 4,596,039 times
Default Massachusetts People

I recently saw this post on the Massachusetts forum describing the people as rude and arrogant. This caught my attention because I have seen the differences in how nice people are between New York City and small-town New Hampshire. However, I would like to know where the people of Massachusetts really are in comparison to other regions, based on your experiences. I am simply curious on this one.

First, living in exo-suburban New Jersey people tend to keep to themselves. They are not really friendly, but they are not rude either. Here they are courteous, but will never say hi to a stranger on the street. People are money-orientented, trying to keep up with the Jones, but tend to be well-educated and more worldly.
There can be more rudeness the closer you get to NYC, which I find the people downright histile on occasions.
People in small-town NH were very nice. Very little hostility and rudeness was expeirenced during my time there, despite a reputation of being a little reserved. Some people (strangers) would even say hi to you as you walked by (Unthinkable in NYC). They were less superficial but there was a provincial attitude among the general population.

Now, I ask...Where are the people of Massachusetts in relation to these localities? Is suburban Boston like where I am from? I have a hunch it is. Are small towns in Mass like NH? Are the people in Boston as rude as those in New York city? I only visited a few times. Let's try to put it into perspective since I saw some negative comments about Mass people in other posts.

Last edited by CaseyB; 06-09-2009 at 07:44 AM.. Reason: merged into existing thread

Old 06-09-2009, 08:19 AM

2,054 posts, read 4,577,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crispo View Post
I've been playing quite a bit of golf around the RI/Mass area this summer. I've joined up to play with many Mass/RI native strangers at the course. They are helpful when it comes to finding lost balls and quick to compliment a nice shot. However, not one has asked me where I work or really any personal information at all. Now this is a captive situation - we are stuck with me for a couple of hours with no escape. I do this to network about career opportunities, but with natives it's nearly impossible. Come on guys lighten up - you might learn something :-)
Buy the first round at the clubhouse!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts