Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2020, 06:00 AM

21,628 posts, read 12,718,846 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewtexan View Post
You've heard of Northboro and Southboro, but not Westboro? That's pretty funny.
Southboro has St. Marks and i played them in sports. Had a kid in my class from Southborough.... Northborough ..i think i saw sign for it in Southboro.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2020, 07:16 AM

3,808 posts, read 3,135,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
From context, I believe he means he’s always seen it written Westborough and never Westboro. Back in the dark ages when I was between startups, I worked at the main Data General building in Westborough. Internally, it was Webo. Generally, it was spelled Westboro and you didn’t see much of Westborough. I did a startup in Marlboro in the industrial park just outside 495. I don’t recall ever seeing Marlborough on anything in the mail.

If you see Westborough now, I figure it’s because the realtors got at it to make it more pretentious.
I'm pretty sure it's origin point was the construction of the U.S. interstate system. X'borough was quite a bit of typography for a single road sign, thus is was truncated on 495/90 signage. The town was incorporated as "Westborough", the state funded town town signs read "Westborough", and all of the town websites and offices list as "Westborough" ... it's Westborough, despite what others limiting their knowledge to highway signage might think.

What doesn't help is towns like Attleboro which fail to acknowledge historical context. Pretentious? Perhaps.

Old 01-29-2020, 07:35 AM

5,037 posts, read 6,918,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewtexan View Post
You've heard of Northboro and Southboro, but not Westboro? That's pretty funny.
Massachusetts has a lot of directional towns, but most of the sets seem to be incomplete.

The hamptons all seem to be there. Northampton, Westhampton, Easthampton, and Southampton. They even seem to be vaguely in the right position.

There's a Northborough, Southborough, and Westborough, all of which broke off from Marlborough, but there's no Eastborough.

There's Weston, and Easton, and even a Norton, but there's no Southton. Also, Weston is, if anything, north of Easton and Norton is definitely south (and a bit west, at least) of Easton.

And there's Westwood, which is north of Norwood (and a little bit west, thankfully), but the only Eastwood in Massachusetts is in movie theaters.

Old 01-29-2020, 08:07 AM

24,557 posts, read 18,230,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrewsburried View Post
I'm pretty sure it's origin point was the construction of the U.S. interstate system. X'borough was quite a bit of typography for a single road sign, thus is was truncated on 495/90 signage. The town was incorporated as "Westborough", the state funded town town signs read "Westborough", and all of the town websites and offices list as "Westborough" ... it's Westborough, despite what others limiting their knowledge to highway signage might think.

What doesn't help is towns like Attleboro which fail to acknowledge historical context. Pretentious? Perhaps.

I realize all those towns are incorporated as *-borough but the alternate shortened spelling is pretty common for all of them. You're not going to see Westboro in a town property tax bill but everybody else uses the spellings interchangeably. I have to see if I have any ancient business cards kicking around from my Marlboro and Westboro jobs. I'm pretty sure both companies used Marlboro and Westboro but that was a looooong time ago when Spags was a thing.

Old 01-29-2020, 08:11 AM

23,568 posts, read 18,661,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrewsburried View Post
"Attleboro" was formed when they split the original town of "Attleborough" into Attleboro and North Attleborough , in which the latter kept the "ough".

Old 01-29-2020, 08:15 AM

3,808 posts, read 3,135,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by massnative71 View Post
"Attleboro" was formed when they split the original town of "Attleborough" into Attleboro and North Attleborough , in which the latter kept the "ough".
Just like North Andover and Ando ... oh wait.

Old 01-29-2020, 10:26 AM

961 posts, read 721,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrandom View Post
Massachusetts has a lot of directional towns, but most of the sets seem to be incomplete.

The hamptons all seem to be there. Northampton, Westhampton, Easthampton, and Southampton. They even seem to be vaguely in the right position.

There's a Northborough, Southborough, and Westborough, all of which broke off from Marlborough, but there's no Eastborough.

There's Weston, and Easton, and even a Norton, but there's no Southton. Also, Weston is, if anything, north of Easton and Norton is definitely south (and a bit west, at least) of Easton.

And there's Westwood, which is north of Norwood (and a little bit west, thankfully), but the only Eastwood in Massachusetts is in movie theaters.
I grew up in Northboro in the 90's (see what I did there?) It's common for locals to drop the "ugh" for some reason. Effectively, the 4 of them function as one town (as someone noted, they once were) and most residents criss-cross the boroughs regularly for shopping, dining, etc. Northboro & Southboro share a school system (Algonquin) whose main rival is (duh) Westboro. I believe Marlboro was more of a rival to Hudson, at least back in my day (we whipped all 3 of them in hockey regularly

It's true that they are not the most happening suburbs, but growing up there was nice enough. Claim to fame: Julio's Liquors is one of the best liquor stores on the east coast, if not the country. If you at all appreciate fine bourbons, scotches, wine or beer, do yourself a favor and hop on the pike and get yourself there. It's a requisite stop for me when visiting my folks. I regularly see out-of-state license plates there when I visit.

Old 01-29-2020, 10:34 AM

41,938 posts, read 36,935,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcb175 View Post
It's true that they are not the most happening suburbs, but growing up there was nice enough. Claim to fame: Julio's Liquors is one of the best liquor stores on the east coast, if not the country. If you at all appreciate fine bourbons, scotches, wine or beer, do yourself a favor and hop on the pike and get yourself there. It's a requisite stop for me when visiting my folks. I regularly see out-of-state license plates there when I visit.

Yeah, its a good store, but I gotta say, with that Total Wine opening, its almost not going to anymore. Same bourbons are like a quarter to half as much at Total Wine, for example, Basil Hayden is $10-15 cheaper at Total Wine.

Old 01-29-2020, 10:47 AM

961 posts, read 721,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Yeah, its a good store, but I gotta say, with that Total Wine opening, its almost not going to anymore. Same bourbons are like a quarter to half as much at Total Wine, for example, Basil Hayden is $10-15 cheaper at Total Wine.
For the basics, I tend to agree. But, you go there for the Buffalo Trace Antique releases, the Four Roses Single Barrel Julio's store picks, things like that. Also, you get some labels that Total Wine would never have access to. And the employee knowledge base there is world class. You do indeed pay for all of that though.

Old 01-29-2020, 10:49 AM

41,938 posts, read 36,935,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcb175 View Post
For the basics, I tend to agree. But, you go there for the Buffalo Trace Antique releases, the Four Roses Single Barrel Julio's store picks, things like that. Also, you get some labels that Total Wine would never have access to. And the employee knowledge base there is world class. You do indeed pay for all of that though.

Yeah, I can see that. One thing with Total Wine (I don't know if its the same as Julios) is the good stuff doesn't hit the floor. You have to ask. Julios has, or had, a club thing, but I never did it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts