Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2008, 05:18 PM

13 posts, read 49,602 times

Advertisements

Hi all, I'm English and new to Boston. Been living in Brookline for the last year and doing the reverse commute to Southborough for work. Commute is killing me and I'm looking to move nearer to work. I've been looking at the Avalon apartments to rent in Marlborough, I'm pretty much ready to pay my deposit but after some advice on the area first. So your input is greatly appreciated!

Firstly I'm living on my own and single, so I want to be somewhere where I can at least walk to a bar to have a few drinks and make friends. I noticed fireFly's was near the Avalon Marlborough site. Any good?

I reall like Avalon, but I'm not sure on Marlborough. Not much of a town center, commuter rail to Boston doesn't look too good either. But golf course over the road and walking areas around and enough strips of shops.

I'm in to sailing, any lakes near by you can do that on?

Anything bad about Marlborough or Avalon? Any advice is welcomed, the good the bad and the ugly!

thank you in advance.

PS. I also looked at Avalon Westborough, but it looks too far from town and in the middle of no-where. Do you agree? e.g. I couldn't walk anywhere, would always need the car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2008, 06:41 PM

967 posts, read 4,786,574 times
Welcome! The Westboro Avalon is indeed in the middle of nowhere and not walkable to anything useful. Marlboro is one of my least favorite towns in the area. I just don't see what it really has to offer and the downtown does have a certain element of crime. A lot of downtowns around here are not good walkable areas unfortunately. Re: the train from Marlboro, depending on what part of town you're in the closest commuter rail station I think would be Southboro.

Wellesley has a nice walkable downtown but is pricey, although I've seen some rentals around $1600-1800 there near downtown. Maynard, while being a little depressed, has a fun pub and a few restaurants to walk to.

For sailing you can go to Lake Ft Meadow in Marlboro or better yet, Lake Whitehall in Hopkinton because there are fewer motorboats there. You can also sail at Lake Cochituate in Framingham. There's also sailing at Lake Quinsigamond in Shrewsbury but that's a huge lake with a mix of lots of jet skis and craziness sometimes.

I hope that's a little helpful!

Old 05-12-2008, 06:44 PM

that's great thanks. I'm willing to spend up to $1,750 a month rent. there is Avalon in Shrewsbury, but I've not driven past, it looks a bit out of town on the map though. Any other apartment companies similar you can recomment around the areas you mention? thx again.

Old 05-12-2008, 06:50 PM

Yes, Avalon in Shrewsbury is outside of the town too. Are you set on living in a large complex or open to rental in a multi-family or single-family?

Old 05-12-2008, 07:09 PM

part of the problem is at the moment I am renting a loft apartment above a family home. And whilst the apartment is nice I don't control the heating and in the winter if the owners are out I'm freezing! Secondly the house is old and when the heating is on the pipes clank and in the middle of the night it wakes me up and I don't get properly rested. So I'm looking for something a little more modern where I know all these basics will be good. Not knowing the areas I'm finding it difficult to know what to look for, and I don't want to end up in the same situation again. I guess I got burned and am cautious.

Old 05-12-2008, 07:10 PM

and being new to the area, I feel a community may give me a good way to meet friends. I don't want to be too isolated.

Old 05-12-2008, 07:43 PM

I hear you! Our last rental was a beautiful old home that was made into 6 apartments and had lovely detailing but it was freezing. It's a common issue, as a lot of the big houses that were broken up into apartments are old and consequently, drafty unless they've replaced the windows and added better insulation. I'm trying to think of other newer complexes that aren't so isolated. Maybe post again & ask that question also so people know you're looking beyond Marlboro. Folks here are pretty helpful & will certainly chime in, I hope. :-)

Old 05-15-2008, 04:18 AM

1,810 posts, read 10,488,243 times
You are moving to the suburb... in a suburb... everyone drives.. very seldom do people walk...

As to meeting people, you'll find where you live really does not matter as people usually don't talk much inside an apartment. I find people meet usually at a place where they do things... or gather.. bars, gym, parks, ... firefly is very good... we love their bbq... has bar and pool. It is probably one of the best in Marlboro... You may like kennedy on Rt85 also.

btw... most people move to the suburb when they are married with kids...

As to Marlborough, it is really a city with a big mix of neighborhoods... Near downtown... is ok... but a few block away towards Rt495 on Lincoln St is not as nice... on the other side... the golf club is very nice... There are usually not much cultural activities in the suburb... You'll find you'll have to drive into Boston to get that... However, commute to Southboro is fine ... just have lots of lights to deal with on Rt85...

Old 05-15-2008, 07:57 PM

257 posts, read 946,295 times
If you go to the Avalon website, you will see there are several other locations. The only bit is that the closer you are to town (urban) the higher the price. The website gives all the floorplans, the price, and the availability in most cases.

There are a couple in QUincy. Isn't that near water and trains?

Old 05-19-2008, 01:37 PM

thanks for all your replies. I'm now thinking completely differently, moving to Back Back. Close to the pike so my commute will be about the same, if not quicker, but prices are higher, apartments smaller and parking scarce or expensive. Anyone git any advice on the Back Bay area? thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts