Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-21-2009, 01:54 PM

12 posts, read 34,991 times

Advertisements

I'm taking a job in Woburn and a friend has offered his apartment in Mansfield which is obviously very generous. However, I'm really concerned about the commute which, with traffic, looks really far. Can anyone tell me how bad a commute it will be and if I'm worrying about nothing? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2009, 02:36 PM

2,954 posts, read 12,332,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by liketheshoe View Post
Can anyone tell me how bad a commute it will be and if I'm worrying about nothing? Thanks!
You are not worrying about nothing. That commute would be quite tough.

It's at least about 45 minutes without any traffic, but well more during the rush hours. 95 North and 128 are both pretty bad traffic-wise in the AM and PM rushes. Once you get past the Mass Pike on 128, the worst of the traffic is going the other way, but it would still take a long time just to get that far.

Old 12-21-2009, 05:41 PM

12 posts, read 34,991 times
Is it safe to say that with traffic it would take betwee 1.5 and 2 hours?

Old 12-21-2009, 06:14 PM

3,459 posts, read 10,299,176 times
I have a friend who does a similar commute (Easton to Burlington) and it takes him 1.5 hours. He's sick of it!

Old 12-27-2009, 09:41 AM

32 posts, read 148,095 times
Well, if the apartment is free, then I say go for it, at least for a little while. But if you're paying rent, find someplace closer. Unless you're working second shift, that commute is going to be a killer. Rt 128/95 is pretty much the most direct route and it blows during regular working hours.

Old 12-27-2009, 07:13 PM

5,813 posts, read 15,963,020 times
Agree with Rek. It might be good not to look the proverbial gift horse in the mouth, and to take the offer of a free apartment . . . for a little while. Once you're settled in, and it's time to look for your own place, you may want to look closer to Woburn.

I think you posted a similar question about commuting from another town south of Boston. The answer about whether this commute is reasonable will pretty much be the same for commuting to Woburn from any town south of Boston, the answer being that it's likely to be a tough commute. The general rule is that if you work in a town either north or south of Boston and want to have a reasonable commute, you want to live on the same side of Boston as where you work. Commuting either through Boston from one side to the other or around Boston on 128 will usually be tough. Even though Woburn is more like northwest rather than north, it's still far enough around toward the north that you'd have to go through Boston or around via 128 to get there from any town to the south, so that's not good.

Depending on the specific locations involved, commuting from towns west of Boston to either north or south could work, but you have to look at that on a case-by-case basis. From some western suburbs to some northern or southern 'burbs might be an okay commute, but with other towns it could be rough. But it's pretty much always best to avoid crossing from south to north or vice versa.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts