Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2010, 11:55 PM

2 posts, read 4,825 times

Advertisements

I just moved to Massachusetts from D.C. I have a temporary place, but I'm trying to decide where to rent. I'd don't have to live in Boston proper, but I would like to live somewhere where I have a some things within walking (or at least biking) distance. A restaurant or bar, coffee shop, maybe a small grocery store. I'd like someplace with other younger, single people. I'm in my late twenties and will either be renting a studio/one bedroom or looking for a place with roommates via Craigslist.

I'd like to stay around $800/month, but understand living alone will be more. I don't think I can afford more the $1000/month. I'll admit I'm pretty cheap about where I live. I'd rather spend my money doing things than having a ultra modern, gorgeous apartment.

I moved from D.C. so I'm okay with ethnic neighborhoods, and what some people may consider a transitional area. I'm kind of eclectic/artsy. A farmer's market would be great, local stores.

Any thought as to where to start??

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2010, 08:50 AM

7,235 posts, read 7,034,747 times
You'd have to spend a lot more than $1000 to have an ultra-modern, gorgeous apartment. Like, another thousand dollars. $1K is probably bare minimum.

$1K to live alone will be tough to find, but maybe check out Union Square in Somerville? It's one of the cheaper parts of Somerville and has coffee shops, a farmer's market in the summer, bars, restaurants, lots of different ethnicities and a fairly young (but not college-y) vibe. Somerville has a pretty strong art scene as well.

Old 01-13-2010, 10:18 AM

385 posts, read 1,454,293 times
Some neighborhoods in Dorchester would be affordable at that price, I think. Maybe check the Ashmont and Neponset areas. I think Ashmont has a farmers' market.

Malden is reasonably safe and has apartments at that price, but I wouldn't call it arty. Same deal with Quincy. Of course, if you're close to the T, it's easy to commute to hipper places.

Old 01-13-2010, 02:25 PM

18,703 posts, read 33,366,372 times
Cambridge, not Harvard Sq. Great farmer's markets and all the walkable good things you could want. Safe. More intellectual than arty, plenty of ethnic enclaves (again, not Harvard Sq., which is more expensive and not interesting at all- chain stores, suburban wannabe's.
A studio for $1000 or a bit less is certainly possible in Cambridge.
I'd also suggest Jamaica Plain, but the neighborhoods there vary wildly from block to block safety-wise, and I wouldn't like to live there (again), but it could offer some of what the OP wants.
I concur about Davis or Union Sq. in Somerville, esp. Davis.
Wise thing to skip Allston/Brighton/Comm. Ave and the gazillion college-age people there.
Best wishes on your move!

Old 01-14-2010, 12:19 PM

385 posts, read 1,454,293 times
Default Arlington?

After my first post, I realized I forgot Arlington. If you are willing to live in a studio, you would find places in your price range, and there may be some one bedrooms too (I saw one, but it was in an unappealing basement). Public transit in Arlington consists of buses to Cambridge, where you connect to the Red Line. It's not as artsy as, say, Davis Square, but it does have an independent movie theater, some popular restaurants, coffee houses, etc. No standalone bars, since Arlington is "semi-dry," but restaurants can serve alcohol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts