Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2010, 05:19 AM

1 posts, read 1,923 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I'm a CA native currently living in Oakland, fresh out of paramedic school and looking at my cross country transfer options.

My company has openings in Waltham and Newburyport. I'm up for whatever suits the situation best, but I'd prefer to work in Waltham as it seems like their 911 system would be a little busier.

I have a friend moving with me and we'd both like to keep the rent cheap, but not live in the sticks away from bars/nightlife/fun stuff that 24 year olds like to do. I've had it with the horrible parking situations in San Francisco and Oakland; I'd like to live somewhere that I don't have to drive around 6 blocks looking for a place to park when I get home from work.

I'd like to be 30-40 minutes tops away from either city for my commute. Boston seems like it is pretty much out, as I don't want to give up my car and it seems expensive.

Long story short: I'm looking for a decent sized town that isn't Boston (unless someone can talk me into it) that is reasonably priced for renters and has stuff for a hip 24 year old to do without going into Boston all the time, and that is 30-40 minutes away from either Waltham or Newburyport (I realize they are far away from each other).

Can anyone make enough sense of that to help me out? Thanks in advance!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2010, 08:25 AM

7,235 posts, read 7,041,600 times
Cambridge or Somerville fit the bill, if you take the job in Waltham.

Old 10-26-2010, 09:54 AM

2,356 posts, read 5,720,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrParamedic View Post
Hi everyone,

I'm a CA native currently living in Oakland, fresh out of paramedic school and looking at my cross country transfer options.

My company has openings in Waltham and Newburyport. I'm up for whatever suits the situation best, but I'd prefer to work in Waltham as it seems like their 911 system would be a little busier.

I have a friend moving with me and we'd both like to keep the rent cheap, but not live in the sticks away from bars/nightlife/fun stuff that 24 year olds like to do. I've had it with the horrible parking situations in San Francisco and Oakland; I'd like to live somewhere that I don't have to drive around 6 blocks looking for a place to park when I get home from work.

I'd like to be 30-40 minutes tops away from either city for my commute. Boston seems like it is pretty much out, as I don't want to give up my car and it seems expensive.

Long story short: I'm looking for a decent sized town that isn't Boston (unless someone can talk me into it) that is reasonably priced for renters and has stuff for a hip 24 year old to do without going into Boston all the time, and that is 30-40 minutes away from either Waltham or Newburyport (I realize they are far away from each other).

Take a look at Natick.

Last edited by flycessna; 10-26-2010 at 10:10 AM..

Old 10-26-2010, 10:22 AM

2,954 posts, read 12,307,085 times
Waltham itself is a good option. The downtown area has plenty of bars and restaurants, and it's not far from Boston and Cambridge. Commuter train gets from Waltham to Cambridge's Porter Square in 10-15 mins and Boston's North Station in 20-25.

Newburyport is a very cool town, but not that big, and the towns around it are pretty quiet. It's about a hour to Boston.

Old 10-26-2010, 10:34 AM

312 posts, read 868,141 times
Framingham or Natick would both be good options for a commute to Waltham.

What about Watertown? It is one town over from Waltham on the other side.

Old 10-26-2010, 10:36 AM

914 posts, read 1,807,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrParamedic View Post
Hi everyone,

If you like the busy and social life, I would say absolutely transfer to Waltham. It's near everything. Newburyport seems like it would be a bit boring. Plus, if you're cute, you should also transfer to Waltham because it's a 5 minute drive from me. Just sayin. I could be your tourguide to the city.

Old 10-26-2010, 10:39 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,923,552 times
Cambridge would be great, but it's not cheap; Watertown and Waltham would be slightly cheaper options..

Newburyport is a nice town, but it's quite a ways up on the North Shore, a good hour from Boston ( it does have commuter line service, though); it's probably too far away ,though..

Old 10-27-2010, 12:54 AM

18,729 posts, read 33,402,036 times
Waltham, hands down, especially for someone 24 years old. And I concur with those who suggest the OP could live in Waltham or Watertown. Cambridge would be ideal, but likely too expensive.
I'd forget about Natick, Framingham, etc. The only pluses there would be an OK drive to Waltham, but not a place to live for a young person.
As is Newburyport and its surrounds. The OP would go mad trying for a social life.
Best wishes on your move! Maybe I'll meet the OP- my job uses a lot of local ambulance services, and it's near Waltham, in fact, I could almost throw a pebble out the window and hit Waltham.

Old 10-27-2010, 08:15 AM

1,679 posts, read 3,018,237 times
Agreed, do not move to framingham or natick. For a 24 year old, that makes no sense, those towns have nothing that would interest you. Natick is somewhere cheap you move if you have a family.

If you work in Waltham, consider moving to Brighton or Allston. You can get a 2 bedroom for about 2K. Much more going on for young people. Somerville and Cambridge are a little more expensive.

Waltham rent would run you about 1500 for a 2 bedroom. You could also live in Boston, you would have a reverse commute. You could look at south boston rent for about 2K for 2 bedroom.

Good luck

Old 10-27-2010, 09:42 AM

160 posts, read 571,916 times
Cambridge, Somerville, Brighton, Watertown, Waltham are great recommendations. Newton Corner may also be a nice option, with a lot of singles, easy parking and great access to bars / restaurants etc (in Newton Corner / nearby Brighton Center / Watertown etc.). I spent a lot of time there back in the day... ahhh.... memories
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts