Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2010, 03:37 PM

1 posts, read 5,474 times

Advertisements

Hi,
My husband and I are travelling from Ireland for a two week US vacation for the first two weeks in May. The trip will involve visiting friends elsewhere and a couple of days sight seeing in Boston but then we want to spend about five days by the sea. We are 29 and 37, no kids, foodies, like our wine and drinks in the evening but looking for more romantic dinners and drinks than clubs. Hubby loves swimming and the sea and we both like walking and exploring outdoors. I love little quaint shopping towns (been to Cooperstown, NY and Galena, IL and liked both). So I guess we are looking for great beaches, not too crowded, mix of nature/culture/shopping, good restaurants, a more romantic couples place than family/child friendly place. I have been googling a bit and cannot figure out what would work best for us. If we have a rental car can we travel around the cape and then maybe do day trips to MV and Nantucket by ferry? Or is it nicer and more relaxing to just settle for the week on one of the islands? Are there any nice places to stay that would actually be on the beach on the islands for about $200 a night? We would stretch to more if it is really special.
Thanks for any suggestions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2010, 04:30 PM

325 posts, read 924,636 times
I'd spend some time on the Cape (Provincetown, Nat'l seashore). MV daytrip is doable, though a day trip to Nantucket is a long day. It may be nice to spend a night or two on the island. I think Nantucket is more charming.

Early may is pre-season and the area should not be too crowded - and it will likely be a little cold for real beach activity. You may even be able to find a house rental at off-peak rates Cape Cod Vacation Rentals - Beach Rentals, Cottages & Home Rentals on Cape Cod (http://www.vrbo.com/vacation-rentals/usa/massachusetts/cape-cod - broken link)

Old 01-29-2010, 04:34 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,688,068 times
May is the off season also the water is real cold. In May maybe try a hotel near Braintree, as the Sheraton there. You then may do both the Cape and Boston and save money! Cape Cod from Braintree
is 1 hour. Boston is 30 minutes by the MBTA. I do like Nantucket it is nice. Boston has a lot more in May to enjoy, and not in the city does save you money! Also in Braintree they will drive you to the T
so you do not need a car etc., that will let you see Boston! Cape Cod is a run up rte 3 and 6. If you
go to the islands it will be boring because the water is cold and it will cost big bucks! Boston for sure is great to see and Marblehead and Rockport !

Old 01-29-2010, 04:37 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,688,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmass View Post
I'd spend some time on the Cape (Provincetown, Nat'l seashore). MV daytrip is doable, though a day trip to Nantucket is a long day. It may be nice to spend a night or two on the island. I think Nantucket is more charming.

Early may is pre-season and the area should not be too crowded - and it will likely be a little cold for real beach activity. You may even be able to find a house rental at off-peak rates Cape Cod Vacation Rentals - Beach Rentals, Cottages & Home Rentals on Cape Cod (http://www.vrbo.com/vacation-rentals/usa/massachusetts/cape-cod - broken link)
yes I do agree
M.V. will bore them in May, Nantucket is a real long day also and May on
the Cape is cold water!

Old 01-29-2010, 05:31 PM

325 posts, read 924,636 times
The water may be cold, but it is still pretty - and nice not dealing with hordes of tourists. I agree that Rockport and Marblehead may be worth a visit.

Old 01-30-2010, 08:37 AM

2,884 posts, read 4,986,021 times
They're coming from Ireland, they're used to cold water!

Old 02-11-2010, 04:10 PM

4 posts, read 48,820 times
The Cape and Islands are still half asleep in the first two weeks in May. I would not waste my $$$ on MV or Nantucket day trips, just nothing to do in early May. I live in Provincetown and a lot of shops are still closed during the week until Memorial Day Weekend. However, the B&B's are cheap & very romantic and you can walk the National Seashore on calm days out here. The town has not filled with gay tourists yet, so it is pretty calm on Commercial Street. There are a handful of restaurants open and ALL our liquor stores are open because we are a small fishing village with a big drinking problem! Good luck.

Old 02-11-2010, 09:52 PM

21,353 posts, read 8,447,538 times
I presume they're coming to see Cape Cod and its beauty, not the tourists that pour in come late June and early July for the summer.

Early May is a lovely time to visit our fair peninsula.

If you enjoy wine as you say, there are many wonderful wine shops that host wine tastings, there are wine shops that pair with restaurants for dinners whose courses match the wine shops wines, there are museums galore, beaches that are empty for miles and SO wonderful to stroll along during a warm spring day. There are fabulous antique shops, nautical shops, restaurants, tours through the many trails belonging to the national seashore and local towns... many of them guided. The list of things to do as a first time visitor to the Cape are endless.

Yes, Nantucket may be a far trip for a day trip, IF you take the ferry. But if you can splurge and hop on a small plane out of Hyannis, you can be there within 20 minutes. You can Google Nantucket and Nantucket activities in May to get some ideas on things to do. Same with MV. I took my ex there for a weekend in April, 11 years ago. We rented a jeep and drove the island, spent time on the bluffs, ate at the Black Dog.. and were just overall tourists for the day. We stayed overnight at a small inn that had a wonderful small restaurant.

Gosh, just thinking as I type this... you can rent kayaks or canoes to traverse our many different waterways, you might enjoy some of our many wonderful local theatre productions, or perhaps renting bikes and riding through the bike trail in the Provincetown section of the National Seashore.

That's just a few ideas off the top of my head. I might come up with more.

I wouldn't bother with Braintree. It's notthe same quaintness as the Cape.

Most of all, ENJOY!!!

Old 02-12-2010, 07:06 AM

100 posts, read 295,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAtourist View Post
Hi,
My husband and I are travelling from Ireland for a two week US vacation for the first two weeks in May. The trip will involve visiting friends elsewhere and a couple of days sight seeing in Boston but then we want to spend about five days by the sea. We are 29 and 37, no kids, foodies, like our wine and drinks in the evening but looking for more romantic dinners and drinks than clubs. Hubby loves swimming and the sea and we both like walking and exploring outdoors. I love little quaint shopping towns (been to Cooperstown, NY and Galena, IL and liked both). So I guess we are looking for great beaches, not too crowded, mix of nature/culture/shopping, good restaurants, a more romantic couples place than family/child friendly place. I have been googling a bit and cannot figure out what would work best for us. If we have a rental car can we travel around the cape and then maybe do day trips to MV and Nantucket by ferry? Or is it nicer and more relaxing to just settle for the week on one of the islands? Are there any nice places to stay that would actually be on the beach on the islands for about $200 a night? We would stretch to more if it is really special.
Thanks for any suggestions.
May? The weather is really crappy on all three in May. The weather is governed by the water temperature so expect mid 50's at the best before the end of May. Don't worry about any beaches being crowded, you will be the only people.
People don't swim in the water even in July.

As far as taking a car to Nantucket or MV, all the ferry spaces are taken before May, so you won't be able to take a car, just yourselves.

If you want to swim and enjoy beaches in May, I suggest you plan a trip farther south, like in South Carolina.

Old 02-13-2010, 08:17 AM

21,353 posts, read 8,447,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nipsip View Post
May? The weather is really crappy on all three in May. The weather is governed by the water temperature so expect mid 50's at the best before the end of May. Don't worry about any beaches being crowded, you will be the only people.
People don't swim in the water even in July.

As far as taking a car to Nantucket or MV, all the ferry spaces are taken before May, so you won't be able to take a car, just yourselves.

If you want to swim and enjoy beaches in May, I suggest you plan a trip farther south, like in South Carolina.
This is such crap, I hardly know where to begin. Please, I'd 'love' to see some vital statistics to back up your post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts