Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2010, 04:57 PM

17 posts, read 50,775 times

Advertisements

Hello,

As a software engineer (signal processing algorithms) with experience in
C#.NET, C and MATLAB and an interest in
audio signals and algorithms I am trying to figure out which state I should move to....

Which of the following 3 states would you
recommend to move to when it comes to overall
quality of life?

North Carolina, New Jersey or Massachusetts ? And which city would you recommend?

I'm married and I have kids (<5 years old).

For argument's sake let's just say that you have 3 job offers; 1 offer from each state. The jobs are identical in every way imaginable. Which state would you choose and why?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2010, 05:06 PM

9,324 posts, read 16,667,243 times
I wouldn't choose NJ as there are high property taxes and the current administration is in the process of reducing teachers and revamping school districts.

I wouldn't choose NC as friends have moved back north as the education available is poor.

I can't comment on MA.

Old 04-29-2010, 05:21 PM

1 posts, read 2,014 times
NC has one of the best educational systems; public schools are amazing. Lots of high-level pubic high schools or magnet schools in Raleigh or Charlotte. Chapel Hill is famous for its high schools as well. They're well rounded with good academics, arts, and athletics. Excellent college opportunities; Duke, Chapel Hill, Wake Forest, and Davidson. Education available is poor? Really?

Old 04-29-2010, 07:59 PM

110 posts, read 316,385 times
I am in Charlotte currently and can attest that a programmer here lives at the level of 2 programmers in Boston If you want Cambridge jobs in signal processing, u will have hard time finding it in Charlotte. Banking yes, all day long. However, since you already have a job offer, why not NC. You don't need the best school "system". You only need the best "school". For the money u would spend on realestate in Boston, u are guaranteed to have your kids in equivalent school in NC. I vote NC.

Old 04-29-2010, 08:00 PM

5,037 posts, read 6,926,821 times
The answers you'll get will tell you more about the people answering the questions than about what you should do.

Each region has its benefits and its drawbacks. NYC is one of the biggest cities in the world and is a cultural and economic capital. It's also really big and housing is expensive. Boston is a compact city with tons of history and lots of cultural activities (not nearly as many as NYC), but is a much more manageable size. It's also quite expensive. NC is a pretty big state and it has a pretty diverse landscape, ranging from coastal plains to high mountains (at least for the Eastern US). There are cities, but they have largely developed after automobiles and sprawl a bit more than either Boston or NY/NJ (although NC has more urban parts and the others have more rural and suburban areas). I think you'll generally find that your salary will stretch further in NC. It will also be warmer.

I'm sure if you found the right living situation you could be happy in any three of those areas; if you found the wrong situation I'm sure you could be miserable in all three.

Old 04-30-2010, 05:12 AM

3,689 posts, read 7,432,032 times
The better question is why are you looking to leave your current situation in Virginia?

The answers to that question will help to better frame your decision making as to your next location.

Clearly your spouse should have some input in to the process as well, what are her interests?

That said, I would choose NC over MA and NJ due to a lower overall cost of living.

Old 04-30-2010, 06:18 AM

368 posts, read 1,388,687 times
Depends on too many other factors... what are the educational needs of your children? What type of lifestyle do you like? What are your 'trade' points... ie: what are you willing to pay for. What type of community do you like? etc...

Old 04-30-2010, 07:28 AM

14,483 posts, read 11,285,313 times
Mercer has Boston at number 35 in the world for QOL, only Honolulu and San Fran fared better in the U.S.

But I have to say that, for 7 to 8 months out of the year, you need some form of jacket when leaving the house.

Old 04-30-2010, 04:15 PM

350 posts, read 1,090,940 times
You should also consider how the culture in each area will fit for you as they would be very different - very different types of people, lifestyle and pace between Boston, NJ and NC - some or many aspects may or may not appeal to you. I would weigh this just as heavily as cost of living and it will have immense bearing on how well you fit in over time.

Old 04-30-2010, 05:11 PM

110 posts, read 316,385 times
I am dying with anticipation to hear johnjohnson392's decision

Some random points about places:

Don't know about NJ, but in NC you cannot find a good skiing resorts. MA is teeming with amazing slopes, if you are into that kind of thrill.

Be ready for all wheel driving in Boston. It maybe necessary in NJ as well, but being a programmer, you probably can skip work on snow days ;P

Do you like meuseums? That's abundant in Boston.

Do you like less taxes? You will pay a lot less taxes in NC. Per square foot, you will pay 1/2 the tax. RE tax rate is similar in MA as NC, but the evaluations are thru the roof in MA. If you will own an "average" price house in NC, you will pay $2,000/year in tax. In MA/boston, you will pay $6,000 for that same average priced home. (ignore my math which doesn't add up)

I've never lived in Carry, NC, but in '06 Money magazine voted it 5th best place to live: MONEY Magazine: Best places to live 2006: Cary, NC snapshot

Charlotte, NC, #7 in '08
Charlotte-Named-Best-Place-to-Live: Personal Finance News from Yahoo! Finance

Im sure good review can be found about each metro area in the US. But since there are 366 total according to management and budget office, #5 and #7 is very good.

NC - high on pollen during spring that causes many sinus problems and allergies. From what i hear - it is not so bad in MA.

NC - purple state as of '08 elections. MA - red state.

MA - a lot of small towns around Boston, and you will have to figure out which to live in. It will drive you mad. NC - you will live only a handful of cities or in their vicinities. Urban sprawl and annexation makes Charlotte, for example, considerably larger than Boston 242sq.mi vs. 4.7sq.mi.

NC - no toll roads. MA/Boston area - trip to the grocery store is usually free

MA - Jet Blue hub. One of the best and cheapest airlines, free 1 item luggage. NC - USAir hub, higher fares i think, no TV, you pay for luggage.

NC - car tax 3%. MA - 6.25%

Highschool - best i can find in Charlotte in 1 minute search - Providence HS: SAT score 1708. MA - Brookline HS. SAT 1727 (in '07). To live in Brookline, take a house in Providence school district and add a million dollars. :P

Diversity - lookup CityData. You may be surprised as I was.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts