Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2010, 06:25 PM

70 posts, read 288,068 times

Advertisements

aloha

a few months ago i posted that after a 30 year dream i was moving to maui from oregon

well its now 4 months since i moved and ...its been a wonderfull experience ..

i have a nice 2 bedroom apt in kihei across from beach and away from direct noise contact with kihei road ..yes it get loud especially with loud 2 wheeled bikes ...

buying furniture etc ...well you have lots of options from stores to ...

i waited 20 days for my vehicle to be shipped from seattle via honolulu to maui ...everything was fine ...including peoples on both sides of ocean ..

i joined several fellowships both religious and spiritual and have made many friends that i meet on the island ..ie you cant go to a big box store without saying hi

i ordered // the usual city services and had no problems maui electric does want a decent deposit tho... the rest just a call or a local visit to set things up...being nice goes a long way the world over

the basic items like food etc are easy ..from local kihei markets to big box brothers to the local produce markets that happen just about daily...

in consideration of food being an expense i have taken it to ..i am very carefull in what i buy and where ..ie milk in one store is 3.99 a gal to 4 to 5 bucs in other places ...i shop the specials etc to save imho money

gas is higher on maui about 3.78 and i bought over a truck that only gets 14 mph ..oh well

the weather /// how can anyone argue with it ,,,geeze 80 vs 40 in oregon,,,duh....

i could go on //

the people //and thats what makes the world go round ..its a very simple concept ...be nice ..respect the aina and the more i give the more i get back ....p r i c e l e s s ..

mahalo

xstonedrocker
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2010, 06:53 PM

1,234 posts, read 4,591,440 times
Nice post ex!
People will get a lot from this please keep updating us.
Things like this is why I'm trying so hard to get there.

Last edited by KoaKine; 02-02-2010 at 06:54 PM.. Reason: spelling this dog of mine is on my lap

Old 02-02-2010, 06:55 PM

737 posts, read 1,463,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xstonedrocker View Post
aloha

a few months ago i posted that after a 30 year dream i was moving to maui from oregon

well its now 4 months since i moved and ...its been a wonderfull experience ..

i have a nice 2 bedroom apt in kihei across from beach and away from direct noise contact with kihei road ..yes it get loud especially with loud 2 wheeled bikes ...

buying furniture etc ...well you have lots of options from stores to ...

i waited 20 days for my vehicle to be shipped from seattle via honolulu to maui ...everything was fine ...including peoples on both sides of ocean ..

i joined several fellowships both religious and spiritual and have made many friends that i meet on the island ..ie you cant go to a big box store without saying hi

i ordered // the usual city services and had no problems maui electric does want a decent deposit tho... the rest just a call or a local visit to set things up...being nice goes a long way the world over

the basic items like food etc are easy ..from local kihei markets to big box brothers to the local produce markets that happen just about daily...

in consideration of food being an expense i have taken it to ..i am very carefull in what i buy and where ..ie milk in one store is 3.99 a gal to 4 to 5 bucs in other places ...i shop the specials etc to save imho money

gas is higher on maui about 3.78 and i bought over a truck that only gets 14 mph ..oh well

the weather /// how can anyone argue with it ,,,geeze 80 vs 40 in oregon,,,duh....

i could go on //

the people //and thats what makes the world go round ..its a very simple concept ...be nice ..respect the aina and the more i give the more i get back ....p r i c e l e s s ..

mahalo

xstonedrocker
Congrats! Great post but I think you might be making some people jealous

Old 02-02-2010, 07:02 PM

780 posts, read 1,344,787 times
How is the economy as well as discretionary ( spending $ ) income in Hawaii ?

Old 02-02-2010, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skylar0201 View Post
How is the economy as well as discretionary ( spending $ ) income in Hawaii ?
The economy is hurting pretty bad. Spending money depends on the person/situation. The people who can budget their money and sacrifice here and there(and most importantly have a job/some kind of income) are doing ok. It's pretty rough right now but living here and going out every now and again(spending) isn't out of reach.

Old 02-02-2010, 07:30 PM

780 posts, read 1,344,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by franklin42 View Post
The economy is hurting pretty bad. Spending money depends on the person/situation. The people who can budget their money and sacrifice here and there(and most importantly have a job/some kind of income) are doing ok. It's pretty rough right now but living here and going out every now and again(spending) isn't out of reach.

Hmm, I guess I was under the assumption that Hawaii was so expensive, and especially considering what jobs pay there.

I think it would be a beautiful place to live, and having temps never hit freezing or going above 100 would be great.

Are people able to get by one on income ( paying for apt rent, groceries, etc ) if they don't hold a degree, and have some spending $ if they want to fly to the mainland ?

Old 02-02-2010, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skylar0201 View Post
Hmm, I guess I was under the assumption that Hawaii was so expensive, and especially considering what jobs pay there.

I think it would be a beautiful place to live, and having temps never hit freezing or going above 100 would be great.

Are people able to get by one on income ( paying for apt rent, groceries, etc ) if they don't hold a degree, and have some spending $ if they want to fly to the mainland ?
My friend and his wife are doing it right now(you meant one income, right?). It all depends on how much you make, where you live, how you spend... Don't get me wrong, it definitely is expensive compared to other areas of the country. I guess what I'm trying to say is that it is possible to live in Hawaii and be comfortable(what ever that may mean to you/everyone's different). You just need to find a job first! Which can be quite difficult.

Old 02-02-2010, 10:51 PM

70 posts, read 288,068 times
many mahalos to those that read and replied..

for the ones who are sitting in some kind of temperature that looks cold and i guess is cold ..

in the months here i have only put on a sweatshirt t w i c e ...

life only goes around once so what i make of it in my way is important ..

yes my life has become more simple ..but i made that my choice and i have accepted that as my decision to move to maui 3000 miles from...

i live on 2 to 2500 a month ...and that gets me rent ..food ... gas..regular usa bills etc and i go out for a meals when i want to but not at the grand hotel etc..i am not a tourist ...

the beach is a wonderfull f r e e activity that fills my day in ways that are priceless... i have found a few beaches that offer up shells..... beach glass and other cool beachie things ...nothing living at all ...

in fact i found a beach that i ....and i just finshed making a really true maui puka bracelet or if i continue on a necklace/ lei

this time of the year the whales are kewl.. from shore or even a boat ride for a special 2 for 30 dollars for 2 hours ...

maui offers so much ..all i have to do is go and find each day offers a new vista ..

rainbows that will show you the true spectrum of colors

i had a dream years ago ,,today i live that dream

i respect and honor all those that came b4 me and to leave each day a little bit better

its not hard to do and i dont have those petty worries today...

b4 coming i did research to the best of my ability and then when i got here the gifts of living here were the best gifts of my life ... but i was prepared ie i had come with some money ....how much is not important but that first month is easy to spend 2 to 5 thousand dollars ..

to come here expecting to be taken care of ...well its possible but why .......

to those reading this and thinking and i mean thinking real hard ..

my suggestion is to come on a trip first and get an idea of the island ..the many peoples that live here and its different ways and soak it all in and ... read the paper ...look around and see what you see... as you should know jobs are not easy to find and ... most pay minimal...you may get lucky but i believe if you think it it can happen ,,,

if you thinking about it GO FOR IT ...maui is my favorite ...yours might be ....

mahalo

xstonedrocker

Old 02-03-2010, 01:36 AM

5 posts, read 24,502 times
Hey rocker,

I am from Oregon also and hopefully moving to Hawaii soon. Any advise?

Old 02-03-2010, 05:50 AM

2,270 posts, read 4,126,838 times
It is so nice to hear from a person who feels at home here after making the move from the mainland! I am that you are able to enjoy the things that make you happy and that you are not feeling deprived; also nice that you note that you have not met with hostility and that you have found friends and a Spiritual home as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui