Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2009, 07:00 PM

3 posts, read 10,466 times

Advertisements

We've been here for a month now, and we absolutely love it. Look through the difficulties of living a sustainable life here, and it truly is paradise.

The background:
-I'm a web entrepreneur, and I've spent most of this year in a very cash flow negative state getting a web business off the ground. So aside from the getting here part, being here isn't any more costly.
-My girlfriend is an experienced ER nurse who is hoping to get into MMMC if/when they're hiring again. In the mean time she's networking, hopefully picking up some clinic duties, and doing some outdoorsy part time work (more for a hobby). Until she get's a real job, she's also cash flow negative and burning up savings.
-We're only able to afford it because we sold our condo before moving and have a decent chunk of down payment money we got back to live off of. That was the idea though, it was buyers remorse that made us realize we wanted less responsibility, not more.... let's un-invest.

The good:
-We have more hobbies (and more to come) than we have time for. This is way better than being in a city where the only thing to do is consume.
-Couldn't be happier with the large number of beach options and lack of crowds. Can't wait to dive and also learn how to surf this week. We snorkeled and came across our first sea turtle the other day. Good stuff.
-Rent is a lot cheaper than Boston/Cambridge, and that's for a place with a big back yard w/ private-ish beach in Kihei, furnished.
-We're actually saving money on not going out and consuming (night life, shopping). It's not much of an option here.
-I've already made a few car enthusiast buddies around the island
-It's easy for me to get work done because my schedule is mostly clear, quite the opposite of what it was before I moved - that was the idea.
-We eat a lot healthier by eating at home and shopping at farmers markets.

The bad:
-Our negative monthly cash flow is painfully negative. The biggest worry is my gf not being able to get a job. There's too much luck involved.
-We don't have health insurance anymore.
-Our landlord is so obnoxious, if we didn't sign a short, 3 month lease, we'd be walking away from our deposit.
-The stress of potentially not 'making it' sometimes eclipses the joys of being here. Now that we've got a taste, we don't want to have to leave or to have to go to Oahu for jobs-sake.

The hopes:
-To get hiking soon, my knees were giving me trouble when we moved here so I decided to wait (I'm 25?).
-To make some more friends around Kihei or anywhere really.
-To hit break even cash flow wise, and soon. I'll be shopping for telecommute web dev jobs in a few months once my web site is closer to a final draft (would have done the same on the mainland), and my gf pretty much has to get a nursing job in order to not lose money every month.
-To not burn every cent (thousands) we got back out of our condo, I need it for my biz and future investments. It'll likely be gone, but I guess it's a lifestyle investment.

Anyway, thought I'd say hi / aloha and share an example of another transplant on Maui attempt. I hope it works, I hope it to make some friends, and I hope I can 'give back' some day, even if by affording to pump mainland money into the local economy.

-Robert
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2009, 07:09 PM

292 posts, read 948,919 times
Thanks for sharing your story. I hope it works for you longterm.

Old 10-14-2009, 09:42 PM

37 posts, read 126,554 times
I'm glad you love it. My girlfriend and I will be making the move at the end of the month from California and are looking forward to it. I myself have a marketing degree and have high interest in graphic design. My girlfriend is a licensed cosmetologist. Maybe we can collaborate and get some kind of web based business going. It's good to know people, especially in a place you are unfamiliar with because sometimes it's not what you know, but who you know that gets you places.

Old 10-14-2009, 10:52 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,035,149 times
Not only who you know but what you know about who you know as well as who knows you.

Rchampion, it sounds like you are still in your honeymoon stage with the islands which is a fun time. Things should get less expensive after you get settled in a bit. Good luck!

Old 10-15-2009, 01:27 PM

3 posts, read 10,466 times
Thanks guys

Old 10-15-2009, 04:35 PM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,574,070 times
See you at Kam 1 tomorrow morning, 6:15am, free paddling lesson.....

Aloha and,, uuuurrrrpppp,scuze me, okolemaluna

Old 01-20-2010, 10:09 PM

91 posts, read 419,729 times
Are you still enjoying Maui "rchampion"? Or has the honeymoon phase worn off?

Just curious because I'll be moving out there in the summer!

Old 01-21-2010, 02:38 PM

14 posts, read 49,797 times
Great Posts guys. RC & Hermandie. I will be a "trailing spouse" in the next year 2010 and will be moving to Hilo (Big Island. I too am looking to network with other Web Porfessionals on the islands. I am a 15 year Marketing and e-Commerce veteran and am looking to set up Web-Based business and work from home since the jobs are scarce over there. Somehow though networking on ALL islands may seem possible as well as getting business from the locals. Let emknow how it all goes. I am am also a graphic designer/creative director etc. and am looking to expand any freelancer contacts around the islands. Maybe a group of polished professionals that can bring media and marketing savvy to the islands could work? Love to hear feedback and takes from everyone.

Aloha

Old 01-21-2010, 03:01 PM

138 posts, read 355,173 times
lol with all us internet workers going to hawaii someone needs to bring clients from the mainland.

Old 01-21-2010, 08:20 PM

1,046 posts, read 4,897,052 times
Welcome to Maui, "rchampion!" I'm over in West Maui, but your post sounds very familiar. Moving here is an adjustment in so many ways. I hope things work out. All I can add to this thread is that as a designer/art director/creative director/marketing consultant myself, I'm glad I'm mostly retired. The competition on-island is getting fierce!

Best wishes for your gf finding a good job and for your knees, etc. I'm a big hiker, and there are so many great places to see here that it's worth rehab or treatment to be able to get about on-foot.

Best of luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui