Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2012, 07:51 PM

12 posts, read 27,287 times

Advertisements

I'll be in Maui on early November for 11 days. What I want to do is surfing and exploring the entire island, from Lahaina all the way to Hana. So the question is do I need rental car? So far these are the pros and cons I've gathered:

Pros:
- Can get in and out to places at will without waiting for bus all day
- Can go to places buses can't take
- Much faster to go to places compared to bus

Cons:
- Risk of getting the car broken-in while surfing
- Finding parking and paying the cost of parking
- Gas cost
- Rental cost + insurance

Since I'll spend a lot of time surfing (I'll be renting surfboard on location) can I get around beaches and all the big cities without rental car? Is it recommended at all?

And is there public transportation to Hana / Haleakala national park? I'd like to visit there and see what they're like and maybe stay for a night or two.

I'll be staying at Northshore Hostel (Wailuku) for most of my stay, unless you recommend to stay elsewhere for logistical / transportation points advantage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2012, 07:57 PM

2,687 posts, read 7,410,495 times
Default Aloha...

Yes, you will need a rental car.
Koale

Old 10-04-2012, 08:00 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,217,748 times
I would think a car would be handy to get to all the places you want to check out. But, maybe you could get a car for a few days, figure out the lay of the land and then use public trans....or keep car if needed. My niece lived in Maui, in the mountains not on the beach. My daughter says Maui smells like a tropical paradise when you get off the airplane....You are lucky to be visiting there.

Old 10-05-2012, 01:44 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,439,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
But, maybe you could get a car for a few days, figure out the lay of the land and then use public trans....or keep car if needed.
Yes, this.

Old 10-05-2012, 01:48 PM

32,650 posts, read 48,040,180 times
And if the surf is not up and you need to move to another beach? Wait, wait, wait for the next bus.

Get the cheapest small rental car, pay for insurance, and don't leave anything in it that could be stolen. If you are traveling on the bus, you won't be able to carry anything that could be stolen, so no different there.

If you are staying in a hostel, perhaps another surfer would be willing to split the cost of the rental, even for a day or two, if not the entire time.

You are certain that you can rent a surfboard at every beach where you wish to surf? There will be no need to transport a surfboard?

Old 10-05-2012, 03:38 PM

Yeah, I think I'm gonna get a rental car and trying it out for few days and see if I like it. Any recommended local car rentals? Cheap, reliable (doesn't rip people's off due to small fine-prints)? And I like the idea of meeting another surfer and split the cost. Not only will the cost be cheaper but we can look after each other's stuff while the other person is surfing in the water.

I read horror stories about car brake-ins in Hawaii. Some got robbed within 10 minutes of leaving the car! Any tips to avoid this, beside not leaving anything inside the car? Any recommended safe beaches from break-ins? Safe parking lots?

Old 10-05-2012, 06:50 PM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,574,070 times
You answered your own question.. If you want to keep it, keep it on your body, Hawaii is paradise for thieves too.. More importantly though, just how familiar are you with surfing? Given your stated location, I take it you don't surf that often.. It can get very scary out on the north shore of Maui if you don't know the break, the bottom, and what you're doing. And most guys bring their own board..

Aloha and okolemaluna

Old 10-06-2012, 11:36 AM

i've surfed a few times in California. Not an expert by any means but I do enjoy it a lot. I'll stay away from the tough waves, though unless I get really comfortable with it later. Of course after learning the local rules, too.

Old 10-06-2012, 12:45 PM

1,392 posts, read 3,052,676 times
There are lots of car rental price comparison websites, but we usually end up with Budget or Avis after a bit of research.

Don't leave anything in your car applies to pretty much any tourist destination in the world. In my previous island paradise home, the best advice was to roll the windows down a bit and leave the car unlocked. Here they say to button it up tight. In both places, they say that whatever you leave in the car will be gone so, just don't bring it.

Old 10-10-2012, 10:15 AM

4,131 posts, read 7,445,051 times
Don't stay in Northshore Hostel. It's in the bad part of Wailuku, and it's nowhere near the north shore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui