Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2013, 11:38 AM

2 posts, read 4,831 times

Advertisements

Aloha
I made the move to Maui last year, and while I checked this forum a few times prior, I didn't find it helpful. There are a few negative individuals,as well as many who want to go to Maui, but either a- don't live here or b- don't have any actual experience moving here. This first part is my year long pre-planning steps. This is from a mid 30s single, female persective on what is important to me personally, so it might not apply to you (bear that in mind while reading). If you have particular questions please email directly. I have now been here a year.

A- Save, Save, Save. I had a stable job with income, so I then cut out all the little extras for a year. I also worked a part-time job as my Maui fund (made $3600). I cut out cable, drinking, coffee runs, and dining out for one year straight.
B-I bought as much and as many summery items as possible during the sales season of fall and winter (shorts, tanks, sandals etc.) you get the idea. I figured if it didn't happen, at least I'd have good finds to last a few years. I perused Target, Ross, Marshall's, and Macy's on a weekly basis.
C-I started the quarantine process with my vet for my yorkie. Very Easy! My vet is familiar with the process as I lived on the West Coast. Midwest and East coast vets might not be as familar. The process is via hawaii.gov/ai/aqs/info. I worked with the West Maui Animal Clinic. FYI- the dog is with you on the mainland the entire time, and now you can do direct release at Kahului if you pay the island clinic. They meet you at the airport. My first visit was inserting an international microchip and first rabies shot, 30 days later she had a second rabies and then a blood draw. They send this to Kansas. Once cleared they send the report to Hawaii. I carried her onboard on Delta airlines out of LAX.
D-I booked my studio VRBO rental in Kihei for 4 weeks. This cost $1400.
E-I booked my budeget car rental for the 4 weeks. This cost $700
F-I booked a free miles flight RT out of LAX.
G-In April/May I applied for several jobs in my specialized field. You will know if you are specialized. (RN, doctor, speech therapist, teacher, police, fire,engineer etc.) I got 5 interviews intially by phone. I scheduled in person interviews.
H- I had my eye appt. and ordered a years worth of contact lenses, got new glasses; scheduled my dental cleaning (free) and had a filling done; had my yearly physical and refilled meds (free) for allergies, heartburn, and birth control.
I- I then cleaned and gave away things I no longer needed to Goodwill. I took photos of things in case I moved so I could up load them online before returning. I also pre boxed 3 boxes in case I returned to move. 1- kitchen items (juicer, Keurig etc.) 2- Dog box (bones, treats, bowls, toys) etc. 3- Work box I locked my condo and left my car in the underground space while gone a month.
J- I purchased 3 lightweight samsonites at Marshall's (2 30 inch and 1 carry on). I took one of these 30 inch bags and the carry on my first trip, and jam packed it with summery clothes. I also brought along toiletries from the mainland walmart to last several months (floss, aspirin, tampons, toothpaste, hair and skin care etc.) I brought along my ipod, laptop, kindle, iphone in my carry on. As cost is an issue I figured bringing as many mainland items as I could would be a great idea. I will probably do the same when I go back for 3 weeks this summer.
K- I arrived on a Saturday. I had two interviews Monday, and three Tuesday. By Thursday I had a
job. I took the highest paying job at 48,311. ( this is high for Maui) I know also teach one class at the college, and teach two fitness classes. These opportunities came a little later once I lived there. This is the case for most residents for extra income.
L- I searched for a place to live that would take a dog. I had 2 paycheck stubs. I was on vacation at this time and still employed. My credit report. My job offer. My last rental reference. I also had a video of my dog on my iphone. I worked soley with property management companies. Maui landlords are tricky. There are a few good apples, but I felt safer going with a separate unit off someone's land. Many are very picky- no pets, can't smoke, can't have visitors, can't even use bug spray or perfume/candles etc. Some even charge a lot and expect you to do chores. It just wasn't my thing. I ended up with an ocean front studio apartment on the west side for $1300. This is on the pricier side, but it was nice, clean and took a dog! Hard to find on the island.
M-I went to Kmart, Walmart, and Ross for bath and kitchen basics. I spent about $200 total. (dishes, pan, rugs, sheet set, comforter)
N-I bought a rattan dresser and a small rattan kitchen set for $100 total off CL.
O-I bought a new queen mattress for $300. Frame was $35.
P-I went car hunting and realized either it was something with high miles and not a very good deal via CL, or a newer car at a dealership charging a few thousand more than mainland prices, so I decided to ship my car.
14-Via my laptop in Maui I put all my items at home in my downtown studio loft on FB and CL. When I got home I sold it all and made roughly $1700. The remainder I gave to Goodwill.
15- I used T.A.S for enclosed car shipment 1800-779-3329 from Long Beach. It was $1100.
16- I booked another free miles one way on Delta, but had to pay to carry my dog on. I jam packed the second large bag with items (mostly exercise wear, shoes, dvd player, toiletries etc.) and checked that.
17- Arrived and was met by the West Maui animal clinic. It took about an hour to get her inspected. I then rented another car for 3 weeks while waiting for mine.
18- I started work a week later.

Off to the beach, and will post my experience during my year long stay when I have time. I'm not leaving as it's really worked out well, but I have many personal experiences to share.

Enjoy!

Old 05-20-2013, 12:39 PM

280 posts, read 473,143 times
Phenomenal information! I will be contacting you! I am supposed to be in Maui June 17th and you may or may not have read some of my posts but I've done a bit of research as well.

Everyone says ship your car. YOU need to decide if it's worth it for you to ship your stuff, vs ship as little as possible + carry on + buy when you get there.

I have a question, if I cannot carry my 80lb Golden Retriever onto the plane...can I still get the direct release like you did? Keep in mind, I am moving from the middle of the country, so Buddy my dog will need to take a pit-stop on the West coast somewhere.

Old 05-20-2013, 12:42 PM

1 posts, read 2,408 times
Lots of info. Me, I'm a 23 year old guy. I went to college on and off, but haven't graduated. as I guesss u work at the college, what r the programs? Can u help get me in the school?

I have 2 german shepards and a 2 year old son. Any ideas on where to live?

I have some experience in retail, janitorial work, construction. Ideas where to look? I see nothing in the paper.

I live in WI and spend part-time in Illinois for my kid. I hate it. Can I crash with you? Where do you live exactly? i was looking at a map.

Also, how much is food?

How much is gas?

Will they allow my dogs on the island?

Any help appreciated.

Old 05-20-2013, 12:52 PM

280 posts, read 473,143 times
Also, A couple personal questions you may or may not answer:

1. How much would you say the move cost you total, with the 2 plane tickets, the dog and all of the stuff you purchased when getting over to Maui and the Suitcases and items you purchased before you left etc.

2. Did you take the second job for personal reasons, or financial reasons like not being able to do the things you want to do.

I am in the middle of the country and I envy folks who made the move from the West Coast right now My POD 8' x 7' x 7' Quote was at $5,000. Still waiting to hear about the quote to ship my 2011 Silverado 4x4 extended cab...but I'm sure I don't want to know. Thank goodness the job I landed prior to moving is paying for relocation expenses.

Old 05-20-2013, 01:31 PM

2 posts, read 4,831 times
Answers:
My plane tix were free on miles both times. Second flight I paid $150 for my 'dog ticket'. My suitcases were each $100 at Marshalls, carry on was $59. I was charged for checking the bags. I also have a pay me back 2% credit card for gas and grocery I use here. This year I earned $300 worth of gift cards via capital one. I got a Starbucks for $100 and a Macy's for $200 to use on island. I also have a Hawaiian miles card number and visa which earns points for all plane trips on Hawaiian and Delta plus other purchases.

My combined income for 2 jobs is 49k plus 8k for the night class I teach. So, 57k a year gross. After health premium, HI taxes, Fed taxes,and 5 % into my roth retirement I only have $2300 a month left! Seems unreal right? My college jobs gives me an extra $400 per month, as I'm paid per class I teach. I taught 2 courses so far. I get cash payment for each fitness class ($50 per week), so $200 in cash per month. Yes, I did it for financial, as it can be rough. I do have money left over for emergencies and savings, but I live frugally.

I moved after 6 mos. from my current place. I now live in Kihei for $900 a month. Lots of people move around at first. If your job is paying, then I guess bring your stuff. I only shipped a few things, and a sony tv as I had the original box. I would not bring your stuff in my opinion. Do you have a house already? Houses and condos are really tiny here and you can find things for the same price or used. I would not buy a bed or couch here though as things like bed mites, lice etc are frequent here.

You can do direct release for any dog I'd assume. Check out the website and contact the vet on island. They would know best. Did you find a rental again? It will be hard to find a rental for a person with an 80 pound dog, but it can be done with effort. You have to pay to cargo the dog.

I'd assume your truck is the same cost as a car, but I'd check. Best bet is to fly to LA and cargo the dog, find a hotel that is dog friendly overnight, fly from LA to Kahului and cargo the dog the next day. Here is where I am confused though- you said you have a job? You have a 120 day waiting period for the dog. When does this job start? You won't be able to bring the dog immediately until the blood test is back and you finish the waiting period.

Gas is cheapest at Costco. I don't have a membership though. Last I filled up was around $4.39 last week. I shop at Safeway primarily and spend about $75 a week for one person, but I eat a lot less here. I never throw anything away. A typical breakfast is one scrambled egg, one slice turkey meat, some pineapple. Lunch is half a sandwich, Maui chips, fruit salad mix. Dinner is generally half cup rice, small piece of fish, and a small salad. I don't eat meat or a lot of dairy which is the most expensive. My grocery list is always the same. You will find odd items on sale at times, so check the ads and stock up. If you have a sweet tooth, boxes of choc cover macadamias are 1.99.

I generally don't eat out. I eat breakfast at this cafe once a month- cheap- $7 before tip for a full breakfast plus coffee. I also go to happy hour once a week. Beer is $2, Wine $5 etc....Fred's on Tuesdays has great deals when I get down south. Tacos $3, Margaritas for $5 etc....

Life here is different but good. You have to let go and adjust. Recycle, reuse bags. In fact, they glare at you unless you bring a reusable bag for shopping, even at clothing stores! I keep all my items to recycle or reuse. I eat less, I live with less etc....

Old 05-20-2013, 01:51 PM

1,872 posts, read 2,814,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadeittoMaui View Post
Aloha
I made the move to Maui last year, and while I checked this forum a few times prior, I didn't find it helpful. There are a few negative individuals,as well as many who want to go to Maui, but either a- don't live here or b- don't have any actual experience moving here. This first part is my year long pre-planning steps. This is from a mid 30s single, female persective on what is important to me personally, so it might not apply to you (bear that in mind while reading). If you have particular questions please email directly. I have now been here a year.
I understand where you are coming from and I wish you the very best Jlz123.
Whoops, I mean Mauiloa.

Old 05-20-2013, 04:26 PM

1,730 posts, read 3,809,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McFrostyJ View Post
Whoops, I mean Mauiloa.
Maybe it was:
Jlz123 = items A to P
Mauiloa = items 14 to 18

Old 05-20-2013, 04:50 PM

6,384 posts, read 4,825,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McFrostyJ View Post
Whoops, I mean Mauiloa.
An added bonus was when Maui Dreaming, on his first post, asked to crash with Madeittomaui. Someone's head is just overflowing with imaginary people, and they are all blabbermouths!

Troll alert: Add Maui Madness to the list!!!

Last edited by Futuremauian; 05-20-2013 at 04:56 PM.. Reason: Spotted another freak!

Old 05-21-2013, 12:23 PM

32,635 posts, read 47,995,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maui-intoxicated View Post

I have a question, if I cannot carry my 80lb Golden Retriever onto the plane...can I still get the direct release like you did? Keep in mind, I am moving from the middle of the country, so Buddy my dog will need to take a pit-stop on the West coast somewhere.
You will have to call a couple of airlines and ask.

A few airlines will allow a dog that fits under the seat to ride in the cabin. If the dog does not fit under the seat, it goes as "accompanied baggage". The dog gets checked in at the passenger desk and rides in cargo.

"Accompanied baggage' sometimes has a size limit. If the crate is bigger than that, then you must take the dog to the cargo area and check it in there. The dog will probably travel on the same plane you are in.

The dog must be able to sit upright and raise it's head in the crate. I recommend Vari-kennels becasue they are proportionately tall. Measure the crate, weight the dog, crate, and bedding. Then call the airlines.

Cargo dogs get airport release if their papers are in order.

You will not be allowed to take your dog out during plane changes. Once teh dog is checked in, he stays checked in. Use absorbent bedding in the crate.

I have always been able to get the stewardess to verify that my dog has been loaded aboard, before we leave the ground.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
View detailed profiles of: