Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2014, 02:06 PM

4,131 posts, read 7,445,051 times

Advertisements

You're in luck, the pit bull is the state bird of Hawaii.

But why wouldn't you want to live in Austin?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2014, 10:23 PM

4,131 posts, read 7,445,051 times
Be warned that state law requires that your pitbull ride in the back of your lifted Toyota pickup at all times.

Here are some examples of local pitbulls abiding by the law:

Old 02-10-2014, 02:17 AM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,574,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winkosmosis View Post
Be warned that state law requires that your pitbull ride in the back of your lifted Toyota pickup at all times.

Is the one on the right a mahu pitbull?

Not that there's anything wrong with that

Old 02-10-2014, 11:14 PM

337 posts, read 613,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winkosmosis View Post

I lol'd really hard.

Old 02-11-2014, 12:45 AM

3,752 posts, read 11,513,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyan06 View Post
Hi.

I currently live in Austin Texas, and I will have my Colorado nursing license at the end of February. My boyfriend and I are looking to move to Maui sometime in late May or early June. I will still be a relatively new nurse with no, if any very little, experience and was wondering what the job market would be like as far as me not being a native to the island and a new nurse at that. I don't mind commuting or where I work as long as I can find a job before or when I get there. What are my best options? I also have a pit bull mix that I am planning on bringing and am curious about the quarantine procedures to take him along. Thanks everyone!
Reality Check.

1. Why are you looking to move to Hawaii?

2. Jobs for new nurses on a very small island such as Maui are almost non-existent.

3.Does the boyfriend have a REALLY good income that will transfer? If not, how will you live/survive? Got one big trust fund?

4. Dog - Good luck on finding a rental with owning a pit bull mix.

Old 04-11-2014, 02:21 PM

4 posts, read 8,836 times
Inexperienced need not apply. I'm not being an arse- really- "new grads" in the CONUS states can't even find job openings for less then a year experience. some REALISTIC advice__> get two years stateside in a SPECIALTY, then move. Believe me I am speaking from experience. It's just not worth the "risk". Even if your man HAS a trust fund, long term for you as a nurse with no experience that solves nothing... If you work as an LPN 'to get your foot in the door' it won't be enough to cover even a small apt. Think $16 an hour... you'll spend all your time working to live and zero time actually enjoying the place you reside. Wait for it. I promise it will be everything you're hoping for if you just hold off a couple years...find a great internship in a place you can tolerate and put that energy into making yourself marketable as a nurse who stands out!

Old 04-11-2014, 06:35 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,443,557 times
Sad to say, local nursing school grads can't find jobs in Hawai'i. It's a big problem.

Old 04-11-2014, 07:11 PM

52 posts, read 89,772 times
Default Doom n gloom!

OP: I read your post and all the responses with trepidation. You initial post does leave out a lot of info, much of which can be found herein by doing a search or following links that were already provided. If you are planning on renting, YES, you WILL have much more trouble finding one that accepts pets. Yes, jobs (even nursing jobs) are NOT as plentiful here as on the mainland. YES, when they are available they do pay a lot less! Everything is relative though...Perhaps you are one who can afford to live and be happy on much less than others, it's possible.

I am a nurse, although an LPN, not an RN and not a new grad (20 years experience) and I moved here in February. Do I miss making $80K/year? sometimes, but I can live here just fine on less. But I also miss the 10 months of gray weather, massive traffic jams every day, working OT & the 'rat race'. In any case, I wish you all the best of luck and continue your search on here for more info, particularly about the animal/direct release program.

Old 04-11-2014, 07:37 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,035,149 times
Well, there ya go! Someone in the know.

Did you find employment as a nurse, BnJForever, before you moved to Maui or afterwards? (I'm assuming you're employed as a nurse on Maui, although your post doesn't explicitly say so). The OP doesn't have a Hawaii license, will the Maui hospitals be interested in hiring someone who doesn't have their Hawaii license yet?

Although, if the OP is planning on bringing a dog, with the 120 day quarantine (whether it's done on the mainland or here in Hawaii, it's still 120 days) they still aren't going to be ready until around mid-June at the earliest. Assuming the OP started the procedures as soon as she found out about them.

Although the OP has only had two posts on the forum, this one and another one about working in a nurse in Vegas while saving money to move to Hawaii so we may never know what the OP chose to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui