Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which party do you support?
Republican 4 26.67%
Democrat 7 46.67%
Liberaterian 2 13.33%
Other 2 13.33%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2014, 04:47 PM

44 posts, read 130,785 times

Advertisements

Also noticed that there is Tea Party presence and wondering how big it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2014, 05:51 PM

4,131 posts, read 7,442,101 times
More Republican. The current mayor is a Republican

Old 06-17-2014, 08:06 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,430,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winkosmosis View Post
More Republican. The current mayor is a Republican
I'd say it's more Democratic, and the current mayor's party affiliation is irrelevent.

Looking at the last major election, the 2012 results, every Democratic candidate on the ballot for state and national office won the vote on Maui by at least a 2 to 1 margin, if not more.

The County elections are non-partisan, so while Alan Arakawa is Republican, he didn't run as a Republican. He also served as Mayor previously, from 2003 to 2007, and on the council before that, so some say the public's familiarity with him was more important for his election in 2010 than his party affiliation.

http://hawaii.gov/elections/results/.../files/com.pdf

Checking back to that 2010 election, all but one of the State Representative races were also won by Democrats, in nearly the same 2 to 1 or better vote ratio.

http://mauinow.com/2010/11/01/maui-2...ction-results/

Last edited by OpenD; 06-17-2014 at 08:18 PM..

Old 06-17-2014, 10:00 PM

5,638 posts, read 6,514,480 times
For the longest time I had strong Left Libertarian views, but that has changed. Now my views on politics and economics are consistent with an Anarcho-Capitalist.

Last edited by kaimuki; 06-17-2014 at 10:14 PM..

Old 06-17-2014, 10:28 PM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,571,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaimuki View Post
For the longest time I had strong Left Libertarian views, but that has changed. Now my views on politics and economics are consistent with an Anarcho-Capitalist.
I know EXACTLY what you mean. I was once a firm neo-quasi-semi- SPAMunist, however, on occasion, I waver, and find myself leaning towards the terra-firma-SPAM-Lite party.

It's a hard choice, any way you slice it

I've never felt that politics were taken too seriously on Maui. Folks don't exactly go lolo over it. However, newcomers???

Old 06-17-2014, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungjohann View Post
I've never felt that politics were taken too seriously on Maui. Folks don't exactly go lolo over it. However, newcomers???
Rumors are that a small cell of radical SPAM® Chorizo warriors has been quietly amassing land near Kula as a base for their campaign of food terror attacks.

Why can't we all get along?

Old 06-18-2014, 12:57 AM

4,131 posts, read 7,442,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
I'd say it's more Democratic, and the current mayor's party affiliation is irrelevent.

Looking at the last major election, the 2012 results, every Democratic candidate on the ballot for state and national office won the vote on Maui by at least a 2 to 1 margin, if not more.

The County elections are non-partisan, so while Alan Arakawa is Republican, he didn't run as a Republican. He also served as Mayor previously, from 2003 to 2007, and on the council before that, so some say the public's familiarity with him was more important for his election in 2010 than his party affiliation.

http://hawaii.gov/elections/results/.../files/com.pdf

Checking back to that 2010 election, all but one of the State Representative races were also won by Democrats, in nearly the same 2 to 1 or better vote ratio.

Maui 2010 General Election Results | Maui Now
He was asking about Maui vs Oahu-- I'm pretty sure Maui is more conservative. There are many Republicans here. Most of the cowboys Upcountry are Christian Conservatives. I think most of the small business owners on Maui are Libertarian. Think they support Democratic platform planks like raising the minimum wage?

Old 06-18-2014, 02:01 AM

Quote:
He was asking about Maui vs Oahu-- I'm pretty sure Maui is more conservative. There are many Republicans here. Most of the cowboys Upcountry are Christian Conservatives. I think most of the small business owners on Maui are Libertarian. Think they support Democratic platform planks like raising the minimum wage?
You could be right, I suppose, but in the 2012 Election Maui voted Democratic more than did the state overall in these key elections...

Obama, President..... Maui 73.7%.... Hawaii 70.1%

Hirono, Senator.... Maui 67.8%... Hawaii 61.6%

Gabbard, Represent. Dist 2... Maui 77.5%... Hawaii 76.8%

Old 06-18-2014, 09:30 AM

177 posts, read 338,595 times
It seems to me that Hawaii is a lot like Illinois. The stronger Party is Democratic but the people may not really be hard core. In Chicago where I grew up there was one party DEM It was called the Daily (first Mayor) Machine because the city and the county used mechanical machines to vote they basically had one candidate and a lever it was hard to vote independent. I had co-workers who's wives were told by the Party rep that they were republican and would be a paid voting watcher so they could hold an election with both parties present. The Local Captain would control the ward and the jobs that were associated with it. I'm now in a county that is the exact opposite It is Republican and there are few Dem candidates on the ballot.

Because of Chicago and Its county is so large it's bully power controls the state.

Just remember that "All Politics is Local" the person that can help you the most and thinks closest to you in what you consider important is the one you support a Label is not important.

I tend to be on the conservative side of the isle But a responsible (fiscally) and approachable representative is what I look for.

Old 06-18-2014, 05:04 PM

44 posts, read 130,785 times
Quote:

Right, that was my guess as well. Maui appears to be more homogenous than other islands(many more white faces) which may be the attraction for tourists/transplants alike. There also seems to be a large contingent of hippies and harley riders for some reason.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui