Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2018, 03:09 AM

11,049 posts, read 24,014,485 times

Advertisements

Well, she said she had two masters degrees anyway. She's off somewhere else and I'm sure Maui is now a happier place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2018, 07:00 AM

2,481 posts, read 2,233,156 times
I agree with Viper...

That poster goes through CD under many accounts, the story and message is always the same, she or he just goes to different locations and 'disses' the area gets people worked up

They change a few details, but the writing style and negativity is the same.

Old 06-07-2018, 05:29 PM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,569,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
Well, she said she had two masters degrees anyway. She's off somewhere else and I'm sure Maui is now a happier place.
Are you nuts? It's not a happier place, it friggin sucks!!! Milk is fifteen dollars a quart, rent is out of control, the people are all crazy, the locals aren't even local, you need a key to open a can of SPAM, the beach is covered with sand, and, THE OCEAN HAS FRIGGIN SALT IN IT!!!!!

HAPPIER PLACE!!!! Get a grip!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 06-08-2018, 11:43 AM

139 posts, read 180,473 times
the beach is covered with sand, and, THE OCEAN HAS FRIGGIN SALT IN IT!!!!!

AHHHHH, That's why my feet stay exfoliated, and there is a funny taste in my mouth!

Old 06-09-2018, 04:47 PM

1,719 posts, read 1,143,716 times
I'm so sorry she left. I was just getting ready to offer her my hand in marriage.

Old 06-09-2018, 04:55 PM

3,696 posts, read 2,893,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanthegoldengod View Post
I'm so sorry she left. I was just getting ready to offer her my hand in marriage.
Don't despair; I'm sure that she will be back under a different user name and then you can propose

Just make sure you don't say 'Maui'. Seems kind of triggering for this person...

Old 06-11-2018, 09:30 AM

654 posts, read 630,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungjohann View Post
Are you nuts? It's not a happier place, it friggin sucks!!! Milk is fifteen dollars a quart, rent is out of control, the people are all crazy, the locals aren't even local, you need a key to open a can of SPAM, the beach is covered with sand, and, THE OCEAN HAS FRIGGIN SALT IN IT!!!!!

HAPPIER PLACE!!!! Get a grip!!!!!!!!!!!!
I always see these complaints about the freaking price of milk in Hawaii..Who in the heck goes to Hawaii to drink milk anyway? Just cut it out of your diet, adults should not be drinking milk, it is a habit acquired by Northern Europeans because it was a plentiful source of protein that was readily available. When you visit or move to a new place, you should adapt to things that are plentiful and inexpensive there, rather than trying to shoehorn your existing lifestyle into a place where it does not fit!

Old 06-12-2018, 09:47 AM

5,529 posts, read 12,660,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weaubleau View Post
I always see these complaints about the freaking price of milk in Hawaii..Who in the heck goes to Hawaii to drink milk anyway? Just cut it out of your diet, adults should not be drinking milk, it is a habit acquired by Northern Europeans because it was a plentiful source of protein that was readily available. When you visit or move to a new place, you should adapt to things that are plentiful and inexpensive there, rather than trying to shoehorn your existing lifestyle into a place where it does not fit!
We also complain about the high cost of electricity. Are you suggesting that we give up on our silly need for lights and computers and stuff?

BTW I do still eat cereal here and like to use milk. Although I also go outside and pick bananas and papayas to put on top.

Old 06-15-2018, 08:58 AM

2,378 posts, read 1,313,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaikikiBoy View Post
While I think the presentation of this information could be better and more clearly presented, but I do think there are some truths to be found in the post. And it is good for people to hear these experiences. It's certainly not all popcorn and candy.

There are very limited cultural activities in Hawaii ... even on Oahu ... compared to almost any major metropolitan city on the mainland. You can drive around any island and shake your head at the condition of many homes. It does seem like the average overall condition of homes in many neighborhoods can be pretty poor ... again by normal mainland standards.

Many threads on this forum discuss the high cost of living and that you get less for your money in Hawaii than on the mainland in almost everything ... housing and food. And there have also been many posts about the difficulty building friendships and relationships in Hawaii.

Your post has shined a big spotlight on some of the downsides to Hawaii. There are great things about the islands, but there are downsides too.

When you moved to Maui where were you moving from ? And where have you now moved to ? I'm still curios why you moved to Hawaii to begin with ? Did you come on a vacation and love it. Decide to move based on that vacation and then find out living in Maui was nothing like vacationing on Maui ?

The one thing I am having trouble wrapping my head around is the condition of many homes in Hawaii. I’m not saying the mainland is without this issue, but many of the crapholes on the mainland is subsidized housing. Most people who own their homes take care of their homes. I look at realtor and see $500K homes that are complete dumps inside and out in Hawaii. The person who is currently living in that Home whether owner or renter, the mortgage or rent has to be expensive. For someone to be approved for a $500K mortgage or afford the rent to a $500K home has to at least have professional skills where they are earning over at least $120K. Not sure if $120K is accurate to be approved for such an expensive mortgage, but I know a good steady salary is required to get an approval whether for the mortgage or renter. I just don’t understand someone who is able to afford such an expensive home would not take better care of that home. How can someone allow such an expensive home fall apart.

Last edited by Nyfinestbxtf; 06-15-2018 at 09:41 AM..

Old 06-15-2018, 09:08 AM

2,378 posts, read 1,313,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PGEMF View Post
I'm starting to think Maui isn't the problem here....

I was thinking the same thing. This person seems unhinged.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui