Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2018, 01:42 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,035,149 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mauigoidbye View Post
Let’s see the dirty filthy living arrangements, nutso landlords, crazy people who live here in general, no privacy, everyone always in your business, constantly hot awful weather, bugs, expense
Well, it sounds like small town living overall. Along with island living in general. There may be some things you can do, though.

1. Clean your room, even if the paint and fixtures are old, it can at least be clean. The rest of the place may be a mess and out of your control, but you should be able to at least clean your own room. Providing of course, you have a separate room and aren't only sleeping on the couch somewhere or sharing the room.
2. Finding somewhere else to live may be a good idea if you can. If anything it would at least be a different nutso landlord.
3. When moving, perhaps a different part of the island may be better. Some areas have crazier people than others, especially if the area has a lot of people who are having an entitled Hawaiian vacation or have moved to 'live in Paradise'. Try for an old established neighborhood, that would probably be a lot less crazy. Outside of the tourist areas is usually less crazy, although then you lose the 'privacy' of being among temporary people.
4. Small towns have very little privacy. Shared living areas have even less. Since all the towns on Maui are more or less small towns, you'll probably continue with that level of inquisitiveness, but if you can get your own house or apartment, that should give you a bit more privacy.
5. Another manifestation of small town as well as island living. When you live here, you're part of here so folks will be 'in your business'. Kinda like everyone is at least cousins if not closer family.
6. If you can move up mountain, it may be a bit cooler, otherwise, finding somewhere air conditioned to spend part of the day may help. Local library? Or swimming pool? When moving to a new house, check for cross breezes in the rooms and access to the trade winds. Some houses are much hotter than others, it sounds as if you're in a hot house.
7. Bugs, well, this is the tropics. Keeping kitchen areas absolutely clean will help but there will be bugs. I don't suppose keeping 'pet' geckos loose in the kitchen is going to be an idea you'd embrace as a method to keep down bugs? We have one who lives under the microwave and comes out for dabs of chocolate ice cream.
8. Some expenses can be mitigated, although that usually means you're sharing them with someone so then you have less privacy.

Where do you think you'd be more happy? Do you have a place you'd like to relocate to?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2018, 11:18 AM

17 posts, read 40,715 times
I can guarantee people responding don’t live in Maui!

Old 05-24-2018, 11:32 AM

I’m an educated professional woman 39 years old interested in meeting likewise individuals. Maui is full of misfits and losers. I’d rather live in a place with more culture, space, resources and opportunities than a hot, small, dead island with gross people who can’t shower! I don’t want to live in a small 500 sq ft studio for $1500 a month or make 25k less a year than where I just relocated to. I’m tired of neighbors with 10 junk cars and other trash in their yard. I’m tired of the domestic violence and child abuse that plagues the island. I’m tired of the sheer boredom and nothing to do, no one to date. It’s a fab vacation spot and I’ll be spending a week or two a year at the Four seasons or Andaz versus living day in and out in that cess pool. The schools are ****, the cops are corrupt and the way business and jobs are run is straight out of 1980! I’m tired of the racism I get being white from a majority of locals. It’s too small minded and frankly sad! There’s much more to life than a place like Maui. It’s not a great place to live. To experience for a few months or a year... sure... but it’s not paradise.

Old 05-24-2018, 11:34 AM

9,519 posts, read 14,748,538 times
Unhappy AND illiterate. Sad!

Old 05-24-2018, 12:14 PM

995 posts, read 510,284 times
Quote:
I’m an educated professional woman 39 years old interested in meeting likewise individuals. Maui is full of misfits and losers. I’d rather live in a place with more culture, space, resources and opportunities than a hot, small, dead island with gross people who can’t shower! I don’t want to live in a small 500 sq ft studio for $1500 a month or make 25k less a year than where I just relocated to. I’m tired of neighbors with 10 junk cars and other trash in their yard. I’m tired of the domestic violence and child abuse that plagues the island. I’m tired of the sheer boredom and nothing to do, no one to date. It’s a fab vacation spot and I’ll be spending a week or two a year at the Four seasons or Andaz versus living day in and out in that cess pool. The schools are ****, the cops are corrupt and the way business and jobs are run is straight out of 1980! I’m tired of the racism I get being white from a majority of locals. It’s too small minded and frankly sad! There’s much more to life than a place like Maui. It’s not a great place to live. To experience for a few months or a year... sure... but it’s not paradise.
Georgia is calling...

Wanna live in a place where you won't have to deal with the things you hate? Then make your move. Now. Come home to the lovely state of Georgia.

Book a one-way flight with Delta to Atlanta - I promise you won't regret it!

Old 05-24-2018, 12:20 PM

48,534 posts, read 34,863,037 times
Quote:
Perhaps you should have done some research before moving? No one who is interested in culture (theatre, ballet, museums, etc.) would choose to move to Maui. The housing market is what it is, and again.... research.

Hopefully you have learned to perform due diligence before up and moving thousands of miles.

I would expect better decisions from a middle aged professional.

You can't really blame a whole island for your lack of knowledge, info is easy to come by.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Last edited by Mikala43; 05-24-2018 at 12:28 PM..

Old 05-24-2018, 12:29 PM

995 posts, read 510,284 times
In fairness to the OP who probably made an honest mistake - why is it that such a lovely place have so many shortcomings? Is there any reason the cost of housing is so high, even in rural areas? Why do jobs pay so little compared to the mainland? Why must things be so terribly expensive, when I have the luxury of buying milk for $1.69, although it's the still the same country?

I do agree 100% on this: Do. Your. Research.

I did plenty of this on behalf of a dear friend who ~almost~ got a job in Hawaii. To put it simply, I was appalled. I was like, "let's sell that place to Japan." I was so happy when he got turned down for the job - whew!

Let this thread be a serious warning to anyone who might have ideas of moving to a tropical "paradise". Paradise it is not, unless you happen to be very, very rich.

Old 05-24-2018, 12:36 PM

48,534 posts, read 34,863,037 times
Demand = cost. Limited supply (land) = cost.

Plus shipping to get stuff out here, and host of other problems which are more political, and just a personal view point.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 05-24-2018, 01:06 PM

959 posts, read 1,216,167 times
Quote:
While I think the presentation of this information could be better and more clearly presented, but I do think there are some truths to be found in the post. And it is good for people to hear these experiences. It's certainly not all popcorn and candy.

There are very limited cultural activities in Hawaii ... even on Oahu ... compared to almost any major metropolitan city on the mainland. You can drive around any island and shake your head at the condition of many homes. It does seem like the average overall condition of homes in many neighborhoods can be pretty poor ... again by normal mainland standards.

Many threads on this forum discuss the high cost of living and that you get less for your money in Hawaii than on the mainland in almost everything ... housing and food. And there have also been many posts about the difficulty building friendships and relationships in Hawaii.

Your post has shined a big spotlight on some of the downsides to Hawaii. There are great things about the islands, but there are downsides too.

When you moved to Maui where were you moving from ? And where have you now moved to ? I'm still curios why you moved to Hawaii to begin with ? Did you come on a vacation and love it. Decide to move based on that vacation and then find out living in Maui was nothing like vacationing on Maui ?

Old 05-24-2018, 01:09 PM

Well moderator what a joke... get a life really! You can enjoy all the stupid drink uneducated men with baby mommas for yourself and rent my 400 square foot apartment infested w roaches for $1500... you probably don’t even live on Maui. Prove it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui