Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2023, 04:46 PM

959 posts, read 1,215,636 times

Advertisements

I’m very interested to see how things move forward in Lahaina after people get resettled and rebuilding starts to move forward. It would seem to me that owners of private property still own their property and should be able to rebuild as they choose within existing zoning laws.

But I keep hearing little bits about a new master planned community. This makes me wonder about the government ultimately taking over peoples property through eminent domain, creating their master plan community and handing it over to developers to build. Many current property owners could lose their property.

In this scenario, the government becomes the biggest predator looking to swoop up land in the aftermath of this disaster.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2023, 07:41 PM

2,355 posts, read 1,152,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaikikiBoy View Post
I’m very interested to see how things move forward in Lahaina after people get resettled and rebuilding starts to move forward. It would seem to me that owners of private property still own their property and should be able to rebuild as they choose within existing zoning laws.

But I keep hearing little bits about a new master planned community. This makes me wonder about the government ultimately taking over peoples property through eminent domain, creating their master plan community and handing it over to developers to build. Many current property owners could lose their property.

In this scenario, the government becomes the biggest predator looking to swoop up land in the aftermath of this disaster.
I've heard there is a move to pay off mortgages for owners in Lahaina that lost their property. It's through GoFundMe and it's a grass roots thing in an effort to allow them to stay and rebuild.

Old 09-01-2023, 12:25 AM

6,384 posts, read 4,829,872 times
I've been trying to stay up with the various scenarios to open schools for West side kids at alternative locations. It looks like Lahainaluna High is going to set up a "school within a school" on the new Kihei High school campus. The problem lies in the fact that parents and kids don't like the plan for various reasons. Some kids have already enrolled at Baldwin and Maui Highs.

Apparently, air monitors at the three unburned schools are not recording toxins in the air, and the plan is to reopen after Fall Break in October. I believe many/most kids will choose distance learning until then.

The teachers have been instructed to "follow the district plan" which means they will report to Kihei whether the kids do or not, in order to be paid.

Many parents and teachers would prefer that class be held in the public parks over here. I was hoping that they would utilize the ballrooms at Kaanapali hotels, but apparently the hotels don't want this.

My best guess is that education will remain fragmented and disorganized until the local campuses reopen. Kam III students will be housed at the other elementary school, Princess Nahi'ena'ena.

Old 09-16-2023, 04:02 AM

In spite of what is being stated, the air quality on the West Side is horrible! I've never had asthma before and had to start using 3 different inhalers just to breathe.

Right now, I'm in Iceland on a cruise ship and am enjoying the clean air. Soon I will return to Maui and dread the unhealthy air. Several times in August, I went to the Courtyard by Marriott near Costco just to get a break from the Lahaina side air. $450 per night for a motel room with hard beds. I used an air mattress on top of their mattress, but my grandsons enjoyed it.

One of my friends lived in the Hawaiian Homes tract close to the Civic Center. He awoke to his house burning and ran out the door and got away in his Ford Explorer. For several days afterward, he was sleeping in it. The Red Cross finally arranged a condo in Kapalua for his use, but he has PTSD and is not sleeping well.

Has FEMA or the EPA begun cleanup of the toxic environment yet?

Old 09-17-2023, 10:41 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,908,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futuremauian View Post
In spite of what is being stated, the air quality on the West Side is horrible! I've never had asthma before and had to start using 3 different inhalers just to breathe.
The volcano is erupting and impacting Maui with vog

Old 09-18-2023, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
The volcano is erupting and impacting Maui with vog
For me, the asthma triggers were in the plant debris that blew over the mountains for a couple of days before the fire. Winds were said to reach 60+ mph. Then, with no electricity for 5+ days, we had no choice but to leave the windows open for ventilation. My house filled up with dust, toxins, and plant debris. It looked like shag carpet on top of every surface. Anytime I'm on the West Side, I have trouble breathing. Driving through Lahaina is the worst. When I visit Kahului, it goes away.

Before I left, I was running the A/C non-stop, along with two new air purifiers. I am apprehensive about returning. Wondering if I should rent a place in Kihei or Kahului for a while. If the issues continue, I may have to move elsewhere.

VOG will make this situation even worse!

Old 09-18-2023, 05:03 PM

5,536 posts, read 7,110,339 times
VOG air quality predictions, VMAP Vog Forecast Dashboard seems pretty reliable

Old 09-23-2023, 10:54 AM

122 posts, read 83,030 times
It would be interesting to learn how many of the homes and businesses actually had insurance, and status of claims.

They are talking about 2 years before any rebuilding? I have seen destruction from major tornadoes, ice storms, and flooding that certainly did not prevent rebuilding as soon as you could clear your lot. Just because someone wants Front Street to look a certain way, should not stop residential lot owners from building.

Old 09-23-2023, 11:19 AM

48,519 posts, read 34,843,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachbum808 View Post
It would be interesting to learn how many of the homes and businesses actually had insurance, and status of claims.

They are talking about 2 years before any rebuilding? I have seen destruction from major tornadoes, ice storms, and flooding that certainly did not prevent rebuilding as soon as you could clear your lot. Just because someone wants Front Street to look a certain way, should not stop residential lot owners from building.
Yeah, but with fires you have environmental damage that needs to be remediated.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 09-23-2023, 04:08 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,908,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachbum808 View Post
Any homeowner who had a mortgage or Heloc has insurance and that’s probably the vast majority.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui