Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2013, 01:18 PM

569 posts, read 780,395 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by trinity1111 View Post
By the way, I do read reviews.

It just seems the Mexican Food reviews in Maui are not objective and informative. In fact most aren't even subjective and opinion based, the reviews seemingly reveal a family feud between 2 businesses.

The attacks oscillate between Maui Tacos and Amigo's. The bartenders and servers are personally attacked, and complaits about teenagers, flies, and the Spanish channel on TV.

Just want to know how the food is. And don't care about Fish Taco's.
Taqueria Cruz in Kihei is our go to place for Mexican. BYOBerr/wine, very casual and pretty good. On tuesdays they have $2 tacos and live music by Kawika Ortiz, who's really good.

I'm not affiliated with the restaurant or Kawika in any way, but really do like the place. I found this on youtube. It shows the place and has a sample of the music:
Taqueria Cruz Taco Tuesdays with Kawika Ortiz - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2013, 03:19 PM

1,539 posts, read 1,560,051 times
Love Taco Tuesdays . Thank you!!

Old 05-23-2013, 07:18 PM

I keep driving by Monsoon India Restaurant in Kihei...any good? Any other input on Indian Food? Found a superb Thai Food Restaurant in Wailuku...Seang Thai Cuisine. Glad I tried it, best peanut curry sauce ever, and the fried banana with coconut ice cream was amazing, crispy and gooey at the same time- yummmm...I'd go there right this minute again, but I 'd like to stay local in Wailea/Kihei and not drive to town...

Old 05-25-2013, 08:19 PM

Love having Maui coffee in the morning, at the beach..

Old 05-28-2013, 01:57 AM

337 posts, read 613,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trinity1111 View Post
I keep driving by Monsoon India Restaurant in Kihei...any good? Any other input on Indian Food? Found a superb Thai Food Restaurant in Wailuku...Seang Thai Cuisine. Glad I tried it, best peanut curry sauce ever, and the fried banana with coconut ice cream was amazing, crispy and gooey at the same time- yummmm...I'd go there right this minute again, but I 'd like to stay local in Wailea/Kihei and not drive to town...
Most of the Thai restaurants are owned/operated by one extended family here. There's a good one in Kihei that's somewhat comparable to Sang Thai at Azeka shopping center phase 1 called Royal Thai Cuisine. Its in the corner of the mall on the Ace/Post office side. My wife likes the Thailand cuisine @ Kukui mall, but I personally like Royal Thai better. To each their own, try them both and let me know =D

I love Indian curry. Monsoon makes some pretty good Vindaloo, Marsala can be a little tomatoey sometimes. I think they can make a really spicey version on request. Their naan is really good though. My friends like the green yogurt one, its not to my taste. I don't remember if they got their liquor license yet. I wish we had a ***/yeti here like the one from Kyoto, that place had the best indian food I've had yet.

There's an indian restaraunt up in Paia I believe cafe star de amici? Some people like, I don't but you should see if the flavor matches what you like.

There used to be Maui Masala at dolphin plaza which was pretty good right next to taquaria cruz and it was good.

Old 05-28-2013, 07:41 PM

Good suggestions. Yeah, I hear you on Marsala. I once had like an acid reaction to a Marsala dish because of the tomato, I now find myself steering away from it. Good suggestion on the Vindaloo, going to give it a whirl here soon, probably start at medium..

Paia is always so packed with cars it seems, and it doesn't matter what time I drive thru there. Wonder if it's worth the fight to find parking, when planning a relaxing meal out..Also, I don't mind the hippies as long as I'm in my car with the window up and the a/c on ..lol....I guess Paia is not for me....lthough Mama's Fish House looks great, can't wait to try there..guess that's more like Haiku..

Old 05-29-2013, 06:21 PM

52 posts, read 89,772 times
Default Howdy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamshaw View Post
As I do shopping at Safeway in Washington State and Maui, I do see higher prices on Maui, but really not as high as some people report. Everything is just a little more and to be expected. And some things are pretty close to the same price, but NOTHING 4 to 10 times more than that one person posted. We will be making the move from Hood Canal, WA where we live now to Maui as soon as our home sells. I am retired from the Boeing Co. after almost 40 years and I'm 61 years old and want the laid back, warm retirement life that Maui offers.. I have done 4 to 5 years of research on just about everything you can think of about living on Maui. I don't want any surprises when I get there, so TOO much research is not too much.. BUT I do get a kick out of some people and what they say about the Island. Most of them you can tell, they didn't want to move there in the first place and for some reason post a lot of negative about their life (visit) there... If anyone is planning on moving to Maui, do the research and you'll be surprised on how it's not really all that expensive to live there unless you go crazy and live above you means....
Are you still here on the Canal? We are in Olympia...in the planning stages of our move as well...It was nice to see a 'local' on here so close by. This forum is indeed funny at times isn't it?! However I completely agree with you on the prices of goods, one just has to be watchful and you can do it just fine.

Old 05-30-2013, 04:37 PM

7,132 posts, read 4,769,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bnjforever View Post
Are you still here on the Canal? We are in Olympia...in the planning stages of our move as well...It was nice to see a 'local' on here so close by. This forum is indeed funny at times isn't it?! However I completely agree with you on the prices of goods, one just has to be watchful and you can do it just fine.
We moved to Maui from Seattle. To Haiku. Very green and lush, like Seattle but 10x more sunshine and of course warm all the time but not hot enough to need A/C. Love it.

My advice is to stay out of Safeway. Awful produce shipped over from the mainland. And expensive.

Old 06-06-2013, 02:30 PM

65 posts, read 96,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico Salsa View Post
Hmmm, by contrast:

Yesterday I did my banking online with my Hawaiian banks, BofA, and Well Fargo (the last two are on the mainland), transferring money around just fine. Last week I did go into the bank to make a deposit of client checks, and had a brief chat with the tellers and the desk staff - we all recognize each other and say hello.

Earlier in the week I ordered some things from Amazon, got their free shipping, and expect delivery very soon. While my choices for online shopping have to be carefully considered due to shipping charges, I've found some places that are quite reasonable and either don't add to the listed shipping, or only add a few dollars.

After getting up (as usual) early to work, because my business is with the mainland and I start early to accommodate the time difference, I stopped working about 4:45pm. I changed my clothes, drove down to meet my visiting friends at Wokstar. We got food to go, walked across the street through Kalama Park, and sat on the rocks overlooking the water. We watched the sunset, talked, they snapped pictures. There were a couple of homeless guys dozing in the park, a lot of young men & women at the skate/bike rink, and some people strolling around or walking their dogs. At no time did I feel unsafe, threatened, or worried. When the sun had gone down, we tossed our rubbish in the trash container, our cans in the recycling container, and walked around the park then back across the street for a little shopping by my friends.

Around 8pm we parted company, I stopped at Foodland for some eggs, then I drove home, saw the neighbors outside, and we chatted for 15 minutes. Then I went inside, started laundry, did a little paperwork while watching my recorded TV shows, and read before going to bed.

Earlier in the week, a couple of us drove up the Ocean Center after work to hear Grammy Award winning George Kahumoku, Jr. play and talk story FOR FREE.

Tomorrow, Friday, I'm going to take a hula lesson at the community center at lunch time. Then that evening a group of us are going up to the Iao Theater to see their Spirit of Iao show, for only $15.

On Saturday, I might go see Napua Greig, a renowned female vocalist, sing at the St. John's Kula Festival FOR FREE. Or I might go help with the beach cleanup at Baldwin Park. On Sunday I'll be doing my house & yard chores and planting more veggies.

Life, as Julia noted, is generally the same everywhere, in that you work, do your errands, socialize, and whatever else normally fills your life.

Settling in anywhere takes more time and adjustment, until you get things in order and your new routine is established. What that new routine will be is, in part, up to each of us.

For some, it always seems to be a struggle. But for me, I still marvel at the sunset, especially when visiting friends are here to share it. I love the easy drive down the street, without taxi cabs or tons of traffic or big trucks blocking the street, and only a few buses quietly rumbling by.

I love feeling safer. I love seeing the ocean or the palm trees, or the wide open fields sweeping up the mountain. I love that there are very few buildings stretching up into the sky. I love that the air is warm, and I live in shorts and sleeveless tops and sandals. I don't always brush my hair, but I do wear shoes when I'm out.

I work hard. People who visit here sometimes think that we who live here must spend all our time at the beach. I have to remind them that I work and can't join them during the day. But after work, or the weekends, or if I do take a day off, my days here are spent enjoying what this beautiful island offers. And during my errands, I enjoy the friendliness of the people I encounter and the small town feel.

It's not for everyone, but it sure is for me.
I love everything you said and everything you love. It is why I am moving to Maui! Hope maybe I will meet you there....

Old 06-08-2013, 06:27 PM

52 posts, read 89,772 times
Default Safeway

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
We moved to Maui from Seattle. To Haiku. Very green and lush, like Seattle but 10x more sunshine and of course warm all the time but not hot enough to need A/C. Love it.

My advice is to stay out of Safeway. Awful produce shipped over from the mainland. And expensive.

It's funny that you mention Safeway (AKA Slaveway) as it would be NO PROBLEM whatsoever for me to stay away from them over there. I do all I can to avoid them HERE. I find them MOST unpleasant in more ways than one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui