Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2009, 04:15 PM

19 posts, read 95,510 times

Advertisements

I am interested in working at Maui Memorial once I am finished with school, I have been to their website, and I have been to allnurses.com but not found what I am looking for. Someone on allnurses, told me it would be a long wait for an answer.

What I am wondering is what is the schedule of the work week? Is it 5 - 8 hour days, 4 - 10 hour days, or varying 12 hour days (3 days one week, and 4 the next)?

After reading quite a bit about life on Maui, we are going into this with our eyes wide open. We know it is not work 1 day and beach 6. One of the main reasons we have for moving is, right now we live in Canada (I am American though), and have a skin condition that make the winter totally unbearable. I literally can get frost bite (and have) in less than 1 minute, on my face, so being in the cold is just not working. My parents were planning on moving to Maui as well, where they have friends, so that was a huge influence.

Also, the cost of living (outside of housing) is not so different from where I live now. We live in a small town, in the middle of nowhere - you want to go farther north you need to fly in. The cost of power, heat, gas, and groceries here are astronomically high, and the car markup is insane - for example we bought a 2003 Kia Rio (the hatchback, I know it was called different in the US) in 2003 and it was over 20K. My parents actually bring us groceries (from the US) when they come visit, because of the prices here. I have compared store fliers, and while some things are higher (like milk and bread) in Hawaii most are the same (like alcohol, eggs, cereal, and cheese), meat and produce tend to be cheaper.

We are looking forward to 1 day a week where we get to do family activities, and know that some weeks that could be either a day or an evening. But we want to enjoy typical tropical activities, such as learning to scuba dive, snorkling, I really want to take hula lessons, and getting out and biking regularly. Things we just can not do here in the long cold weather.

Anyway my husband and I were talking about it just the other day in fact, and it made me wonder what the typical schedule is for a nurse, both LPN and RN as I will be an LPN when we come but I plan to work my way up to RN at the community college. I am curious if it is typically 2 days off a week, or if they run the 12 hour shifts like here so you get 3 days off one week and 4 the next.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui