Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2011, 11:19 AM

10 posts, read 31,816 times

Advertisements

Hi

My husband and I are planning on moving to Maui in 2012. I'm an experienced registered nurse and he is a HVAC technician. We're middle-aged and have decided after visiting Maui several times over the years that we want to move there permanently. We think I should go first and establish residence and my husband would follow later. We plan to sell most of our stuff, our house and rent. We are tired of being home owners and think renting the rest of our lives would be better. Our children are grown. We will have saved some money and feel comfortable with having it for a fallback for a little while if times get hard. One of our friend moved there 5 years ago he and his wife love it (he transferred through his company).

My question is, how to you get a job without moving there first? I see posts where people said they had jobs before moving there. But i also see posts where people say, that Hawaii only hires locals. So, how can you get a job if you are not local? I really don't want to move there without a job. As a nurse, I have always had a job. But i see some posts that even nursing jobs are hard to come by in Maui.

Can anyone help tell how I can get a job first without moving there and how did they do the interview?

Thanks to anyone who care to answer. I am feeling a little anxious about our decision.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2011, 12:12 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,754,662 times
The only way I know of personally is through the Federal government. Back in the day there were a lot of opportunities for travel nurses but don't know about now, and I lived in Honolulu where there are a lot more opportunities. Good luck to you.

Old 12-04-2011, 12:28 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,923,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shamone View Post
Hi

My husband and I are planning on moving to Maui in 2012. I'm an experienced registered nurse and he is a HVAC technician. We're middle-aged and have decided after visiting Maui several times over the years that we want to move there permanently. We think I should go first and establish residence and my husband would follow later. We plan to sell most of our stuff, our house and rent. We are tired of being home owners and think renting the rest of our lives would be better. Our children are grown. We will have saved some money and feel comfortable with having it for a fallback for a little while if times get hard. One of our friend moved there 5 years ago he and his wife love it (he transferred through his company).

My question is, how to you get a job without moving there first? I see posts where people said they had jobs before moving there. But i also see posts where people say, that Hawaii only hires locals. So, how can you get a job if you are not local? I really don't want to move there without a job. As a nurse, I have always had a job. But i see some posts that even nursing jobs are hard to come by in Maui.

Can anyone help tell how I can get a job first without moving there and how did they do the interview?

Thanks to anyone who care to answer. I am feeling a little anxious about our decision.
Unless one is lucky enough to get a transfer from a mainland company, know someone, or have some highly specialized skill - you don't get jobs in Hawaii before moving here.

Best option is move - get a local address - knock on doors.

Old 12-04-2011, 07:30 PM

4,131 posts, read 7,447,473 times
You can apply for jobs at Maui Memorial. Then once you get a job, you and your husband can move, and he can start looking for HVAC jobs.

Old 12-05-2011, 08:34 AM

18,420 posts, read 19,036,217 times
both maui memorial and kaiser have on line jobs to view

Old 12-05-2011, 11:11 AM

4,463 posts, read 6,232,127 times
I am just going to save a few million and move there without needing a job. I think that will work out better. Then I dont have to go to work either lol.

Old 12-06-2011, 07:32 AM

352 posts, read 482,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shamone View Post
Hi

My husband and I are planning on moving to Maui in 2012. I'm an experienced registered nurse and he is a HVAC technician.
My hubby is a HVAC tech too (owning his own biz for the last 22 yrs)
and I work in childcare ...
I have always told him, with his job he can go anywhere and
make a living. He's not buying it ... i have to convince him some more

Old 12-06-2011, 09:48 AM

217 posts, read 431,565 times
I don't know about in your field, but maybe get Google Voice so you can have an 808 area code for free without changing your cell phone number (assuming you have a cell phone). Since they do prefer to hire locally maybe do that.

I got a job from out of state but it with good luck and flexibility with how I got it.

Old 12-06-2011, 10:09 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,923,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMoon17 View Post
I don't know about in your field, but maybe get Google Voice so you can have an 808 area code for free without changing your cell phone number (assuming you have a cell phone). Since they do prefer to hire locally maybe do that.

I got a job from out of state but it with good luck and flexibility with how I got it.
MMoon17 - as you embark on your Hawaii trip you will find many things available to people on the mainland are not available to people in Hawaii - google voice with 808 area code is one of those things.

Old 12-10-2011, 06:39 PM

10 posts, read 31,816 times
Aloha Everyone:

Mahalo for all your tips. I appreciate the good advice. I will look at the online postings of Kaiser and Maui Memorial and hope I find something. I did find one job and got a response, but then the CEO hired someone local. I hope the employers can see that I am serious since I had to pay $240 to get a Hawaiian license ($180 for Hawaiian license and $60 for CA to send the original test scores).

I just can't take the chance and move there without a job. With the economy being so bad now, that just seems like a foolish move. But my husband thinks we should go for it. I just don't know. But I will keep trying!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui