Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2010, 10:10 PM

805 posts, read 1,510,581 times

Advertisements

A woman is missing in Maui after she went camping. Just a reminder to all visitors who come over: Maui is paradise, but take precautions. Camping alone is a bad idea. So is hiking, swimming or surfing alone. Male or female. Go in groups. There's a lot more crime going on here than what's in the news.

I know a woman who was raped inside her van on the beach. Yep, she was camping alone. When I first arrived here, a neighbor told me years ago, her 14 year old sister was raped and killed, left in a cane field. They never found the person who did this. This shocked me because I never pictured this island (Oahu yes, but not Maui) with such crimes.

A lot of visitors have some kind of fantasy when it comes to Maui, like they can just go off by themselves somewhere and get native. Sorry, it is still the USA.

Hopefully nothing bad happened to her and she just got lost. Or perhaps she drowned and there was no crime involved. But according to the report below, I highly doubt it!

Her brother from Florida is looking for her and her family has hired a helicopter. Pray that there is closure for them soon.

Article:

Search for Maui woman suspended | honoluluadvertiser.com | The Honolulu Advertiser
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2010, 10:29 PM

229 posts, read 929,556 times
I wonder why they suspended the search after only a day?

Old 02-28-2010, 10:39 PM

I have no idea. Could be lack of manpower or budget....

Old 03-01-2010, 09:27 PM

1,688 posts, read 4,300,869 times
It is truly sad.
This happens all over the planet every hour.
I believe in the buddy system. Don't venture out alone in unfamiliar surroundings.

A female just does not go camping alone!

On Kauai years ago they had to stop letting people camp at Kapaa Beach Park because of the horrendous rapes that happened out there. It involved attaching couples in their tents, tying up the male to make him watch; the whole thing was stomach turning.

Whenever we use to camp at the beach; we did it in numbers (can you still camp at Salt Pond?).

I have met more then one female who has been raped to no fault of their own at beach parks or taken into the cane field. It rarely hits the papers. I think that it is probably true in most states; you just don't read about it and it is grossly unreported.

Not saying come all paranoid, but forewarned is forearmed.

Old 03-02-2010, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyvin View Post

A female just does not go camping alone!

Neither should a male. I knew a guy who was in Kauai camping and was chased by a group of males. He managed to escape by taking his flashlight and use it to smash one of them in the face who had a bat. And he ran for his life, toward a house and the people let him in.

Later a Canadian man was killed in the same spot.

Old 03-02-2010, 05:44 PM

41 posts, read 112,812 times
Yep... and the NEWS MEDIA is in colusion with the tourist industry to keep it quite.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aqua0 View Post
A woman is missing in Maui after she went camping. Just a reminder to all visitors who come over: Maui is paradise, but take precautions. Camping alone is a bad idea. So is hiking, swimming or surfing alone. Male or female. Go in groups. There's a lot more crime going on here than what's in the news.

I know a woman who was raped inside her van on the beach. Yep, she was camping alone. When I first arrived here, a neighbor told me years ago, her 14 year old sister was raped and killed, left in a cane field. They never found the person who did this. This shocked me because I never pictured this island (Oahu yes, but not Maui) with such crimes.

A lot of visitors have some kind of fantasy when it comes to Maui, like they can just go off by themselves somewhere and get native. Sorry, it is still the USA.

Hopefully nothing bad happened to her and she just got lost. Or perhaps she drowned and there was no crime involved. But according to the report below, I highly doubt it!

Her brother from Florida is looking for her and her family has hired a helicopter. Pray that there is closure for them soon.

Article:

Search for Maui woman suspended | honoluluadvertiser.com | The Honolulu Advertiser

Old 03-02-2010, 11:09 PM

1,688 posts, read 4,300,869 times
Yes; the males.

I remember the one from Canada.

Lessons well learned by tourist and locals alike. It's ugly when it happens to a tourist or a local person. There are some disturbed, angry people out there and everyone needs to be aware.

One of the things I see on Kauai is a young person hitchhiking alone looking like they just got off the plane with only a backpack. I use to pick them up (if they looked alright). Every time the person had no clue where they were going or spending the night.

There are many instances of people disappearing all over the world at vacation destinations.

Most people don't connect these types of crime with a vacation place.

Old 03-02-2010, 11:24 PM

1,490 posts, read 4,184,859 times
I am not going to commet in the last case. Sad. Or make a decision on who how etc. It is sad. for her, family and Hawaii to have this issue.

As a single woman yes a trip can be done. Yes you can hang with locals, yes you can have a great trip. But again be smart about it. Not saying she wasn't. But a single female can come to the isalnds without worry in most cases. It depends on who and where you make friernds to be your mentor. Find a Uncle to befriend you first and then go by their logic before you go anywhere. One they steer you right 2 you have their name for basic protection, But again I haven't met - yes I have ice heads/but stay away from- I would not trust. But for the most all good.

Sorry for her family looking. Yes it can happen .... be careful but for 99.9% all good. Just don't be stupid - again not calling here stupid so sad.

Old 03-03-2010, 01:07 AM

155 posts, read 544,952 times
Of course they don't want to put it on the news. Tourism = jobs for everyone = money. Who wants to vacation to Hawai'i... where women get attacked? That's why it's not in the news.

Honestly... it's under reported everywhere. Every city, every state.

Old 03-03-2010, 01:32 AM

1,490 posts, read 4,184,859 times
As is everything here not good. However I can say I saw it on HLN news over and over. Which is not local news. Haven't heard anything in last couple of days but I reallly suck on turning on TV.. only did it because was in free condo on Kona side. Hope she is found safe. Could really happen instead of being horrible happening she just hung out with locals off the grid??? never know and can see that happening. Hopeing!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
View detailed profiles of: