Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2010, 02:29 PM

4,131 posts, read 7,445,051 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdand3boys View Post
That is considered normal at almost any employer. The payroll people need time to get the pay right. In many jobs I have had that paid twice a month (or even bi-weekly) there was a delay just like that. I can only think of one job, which was a salary position, that paid right to the date of the paycheck. Ex: You got paid on the 1st and 15th of every month and the pay period would go through the 1st and 15th. I never could figure out how payroll knew you were on vacation and got the pay correct on the pay stub.
At my last job which was my first salaried job, it was only 5 days, or sooner if the 5th day was on a weekend. I could see a week, but 2 weeks?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2010, 03:11 PM

9,324 posts, read 16,667,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balad1 View Post
Things in Hawaii don't operate like on the mainland and at times don't make sense to us transplants. I would just accept it and drive on; it's not personal if they do it to everyone.
Both of us worked for a Fortune 500 company on the mainland and two weeks lag time in paychecks is very common. When we retired, we were still two weeks behind but we received the paychecks in the end. Many times it takes time to get someone set up in the system and although the information is in the payroll system, it's possible that the updates are run on a specific schedule i.e. every Friday.

Also it is common for the CS system to wait until you actually begin work before issuing you and account, a computer, network priveleges. Many instances where employees never show up to start a new job. Why? Because they decided they either didn't want the job or found another job.

Old 05-02-2010, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post
Both of us worked for a Fortune 500 company on the mainland and two weeks lag time in paychecks is very common. When we retired, we were still two weeks behind but we received the paychecks in the end. Many times it takes time to get someone set up in the system and although the information is in the payroll system, it's possible that the updates are run on a specific schedule i.e. every Friday.

Also it is common for the CS system to wait until you actually begin work before issuing you and account, a computer, network priveleges. Many instances where employees never show up to start a new job. Why? Because they decided they either didn't want the job or found another job.
If they're willing to accept wasted time by not setting up a person's network stuff until they start, that's fine... But why does it take 2 weeks once the person starts? It takes a tech 15 minute most likely to create the account.

I don't think it has anything to do with the whole state being less efficient. For all I know it could be, but I haven't experienced it anywhere else.

So far everything on Maui has been efficient and quick-- all my utilities were done quick and easy, my residence transfer was quick and easy, vehicle transfer quick and easy!

Old 05-02-2010, 04:26 PM

1,688 posts, read 4,299,889 times
Withholding the check like that is par for the course through out the U.S.

Many moons ago when I asked why it is like that I was told payroll needs time to prepare the checks which of course makes sense.

There is no conspiracy theory.

I'm sure if you look at your contract you will find it explained. With state and federal civilians this is standard operating procedure. I say boo on whoever hired you and went over everything with you as it should have been explalined before you even started filiing out a time sheet or punching in.

BTW, I've always got the end check on time. In these types of circumstances it usually requires an exit interview.

Make sure that you are not doing a 90 day trial period and that the job is permanent as of late that's how the state has been hiring.

I know how displeased you are with this development but it will pass. It wouldn't hurt to make sure they have the direct deposit set up correctly.

Good luck to you.

Old 05-03-2010, 07:30 AM

94 posts, read 319,022 times
pretty normal

Old 05-03-2010, 11:29 AM

820 posts, read 3,035,616 times
Sometimes the most quick and efficient transactions are those that are TAKING your money, and those that GIVE you money seem very slow.

My experience with working for larger companies is the same as others have stated...there is often a lag time in the payment, and setup is done when the employee shows up.

Some jobs do pay up to the day, but those are usually things like day labor or construction labor, where you punch a timecard that is handled by one guy or gal in a trailer or back in the office. A smaller operation like that can call in time, so you get docked for the hour you were late this morning or yesterday. But a larger company, can certainly the county, has way too many people to be able to get that kind of processing done quickly. And of course many companies job out their payroll handling, so that takes time too.

Hang in there, it might be tough right now, but your cash flow will even out and then you'll be fine.

Old 05-03-2010, 12:09 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,513,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winkosmosis View Post
...My opinion of Maui County is pretty low now. A lot of things just make no sense. Like I said, they took 2 weeks to set up my network connection... Why? Because they arbitrarily demand that someone be hired already before they can start the process.
Having been in corporate IT, that would be normal practice. If you knew how many managers claim that their new person is starting "tomorrow" and then the new hire never shows up, rejects the job, fails final employment verifications, fails mandatory drug tests.... However, two weeks is excessive. Most competent corporate IT shops have service agreements with the other departments that require a pre-determined level of service for routine requests. Three days or less is common.

BTW, you are no longer on the mainland. This is your first test of island life and the slowness and lack of accountability that is considered normal practice here.

Old 05-03-2010, 12:55 PM

1,707 posts, read 7,034,848 times
Quote:
Having been in corporate IT, that would be normal practice. If you knew how many managers claim that their new person is starting "tomorrow" and then the new hire never shows up, rejects the job, fails final employment verifications, fails mandatory drug tests.... However, two weeks is excessive. Most competent corporate IT shops have service agreements with the other departments that require a pre-determined level of service for routine requests. Three days or less is common.

BTW, you are no longer on the mainland. This is your first test of island life and the slowness and lack of accountability that is considered normal practice here.
Ain't it the truth...

Old 05-03-2010, 09:52 PM

Quote:

If that really is more prevalent here than I thought, why aren't Hawaiians embarassed? From posts here it seems like something people are proud of.

Maybe that would change if we stopped calling it "island time" and started calling it what it is, "third world".

Old 05-03-2010, 10:56 PM

1,707 posts, read 7,034,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winkosmosis View Post
If that really is more prevalent here than I thought, why aren't Hawaiians embarassed? From posts here it seems like something people are proud of.

Maybe that would change if we stopped calling it "island time" and started calling it what it is, "third world".
My friend I went throught the same thing you're going through. You need to stop fighting it and not worry about the why. Either that or get back on the plane.

PS: It took me 2 years to let it go...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
View detailed profiles of: