Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Mazda
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2014, 11:43 AM

19 posts, read 69,810 times

Advertisements

I owned a 2009 Mazda 5 from new until last year, when at around 69,000 miles it was hit and totaled. I thought it was the perfect configuration for a family of 4. I do not like large vehicles such as most SUVs or minivans, and the 5 is almost unique with 3-row seating (the Kia Rondo being another) in a smaller vehicle. I used it for long road trips and daily driving. It was great to be able to use the third row seats for my kids' friends, or fold them down for more cargo room. With second and third row seats folded, I was able to pack a lot in. I didn't feel high up, or surrounded by more car than I needed. The performance was good, though when filled with passengers and AC on, it could lag some on hills.

I was disappointed in the early failure of shocks and struts. Rear shocks went around 39,000 miles and front struts around 50,000. I personally know other 5 owners who experienced the same failures. I've read on forums that the Mazdas with the most in common, partswise, with Ford suffered the most failures. The 5 is also known for going through tires (perhaps more in pre-2008 models) but although the OEM tires were cruddy and replaced around 36,000 miles, I didn't see inordinate wear on the tires I used as replacements.

Other than that, there was a power steering recall, and I felt that the front brake discs warped prematurely (but my wife is heavy on the brakes). Still, not enough to make me ditch the brand, though the shocks issue did make me angry.

I liked the styling of my '09 better than the later versions that grew in size and put the taillights in a more typical design, not on the rear pillars. And the later goofy grinning front end? I wouldn't touch any Mazda with that - what were they thinking?

I like the looks of the Mazda 6 and would consider one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2014, 12:01 PM

1,212 posts, read 2,253,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackShoe View Post

From what my research has found, the 2014-2015 Mazda 6 is a superb mid sized sedan that in some ways outclasses the competition. All the reviewers like it. Car & Driver, Motor Trend, Consumer Reports, and the online car websites give it good ratings. The IIHS gives it a top safety pick for 2014. The car in person is even better looking than the photos give it credit for. I did not drive it because I was not a serious shopper at the time, but did spend time looking closely both inside and out, and it is a real looker.

About the only negative thing I found was a very few online posts from owners stating that they had some problems downshifting the A/T, saying that the tranny was slow to respond. Unknown is if these were very isolated problems or if they have been resolved in the 2015s.
I have the 2014 6 and like it a lot. And I agree with the lag in the downshifting… It feels like the car is asking you for a second, "do you really want to downshift and burn gas unnecessarily so that you shave 30 seconds off your trip, or is slow and steady ok? You'll save more in gas, and still get to your destination on time!"

It's not a huge lag time, but for someone who is used to driving a faster and more powerful car it can feel noticeable. It doesn't bother me since I'm not an aggressive driver, and the gas mileage is great.

Old 05-07-2014, 12:10 PM

9,824 posts, read 11,551,287 times
Quote:
Why no love for Mazda in this forum?
Because they were junk up to like 2 years ago. Now I know junk is a strong word, but it describes the long term reliability on Mazda's. Although I will say the Protegé 5/Miata were pretty reliable, but that's about it.

Old 05-07-2014, 12:43 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,847,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arrieros81 View Post
I have the 2014 6 and like it a lot. And I agree with the lag in the downshifting… It feels like the car is asking you for a second, "do you really want to downshift and burn gas unnecessarily so that you shave 30 seconds off your trip, or is slow and steady ok? You'll save more in gas, and still get to your destination on time!"

It's not a huge lag time, but for someone who is used to driving a faster and more powerful car it can feel noticeable. It doesn't bother me since I'm not an aggressive driver, and the gas mileage is great.
i noticed a slight lag time between shifts in the 2007 6 i drove years ago, i solved that issue by putting the automatic into manual mode when i wanted to drive in a more sporting manner.

Old 05-07-2014, 01:24 PM

1,212 posts, read 2,253,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
i noticed a slight lag time between shifts in the 2007 6 i drove years ago, i solved that issue by putting the automatic into manual mode when i wanted to drive in a more sporting manner.
Yea that's an option too. I haven't used it much though, can you drive and shift by feel in sport mode or do you have to look at the rpms? The few times I tried it I couldn't tell when it needed to shift into the next gear unless I kept looking at the dash; very distracting. In a real manual I could drive it by feel.

Last edited by arrieros81; 05-07-2014 at 01:32 PM..

Old 05-07-2014, 03:08 PM

6,420 posts, read 11,597,616 times
We are happy with our Mazda 3 (2005). We needed a new compact car, and Consumer Reports top ratiings were the Honda Civic, Toyota Corolla (might have been Camry), and Mazda 3.

I'd had Civics in the past and had been very happy with them. But the 2005 Civic we looked at was horrible. Larger, very plastic-y feeling, and bloated-looking. We were going to go with the Toyota. But we buy through the AAA buying service. And the sleazebag at the Toyota dealership started to try to raise the agreed-upon price. So we walked out on him.

That left the Mazda 3, which I otherwise wouldn't have considered. Now I'm glad we have it. My only complaints are that that it has some visibility issues - the rear posts interfere with over-the-shoulder is-the-lane-clear checks. And the sun visors are too short so they don't work well when used on the side windows. A friend of ours has the Mazda SUV, and she agrees about the visibility issue.

Old 05-07-2014, 03:56 PM

811 posts, read 1,557,177 times
I have a 2008 CX9. I love it and have had no problems with it. I just wish it got a bit better gas mileage.

Old 05-07-2014, 04:27 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,847,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arrieros81 View Post
Yea that's an option too. I haven't used it much though, can you drive and shift by feel in sport mode or do you have to look at the rpms? The few times I tried it I couldn't tell when it needed to shift into the next gear unless I kept looking at the dash; very distracting. In a real manual I could drive it by feel.
once you get a feel for the car, you can drive be feel. the one i drove was a rental, but i get a feel for cars quickly. the only issue i had was remembering to down shift when i stopped at lights. otherwise i would start to take off in fourth or fifth gear. did that a couple of times, but rather than manually downshift, i would put it back into auto mode, and then back to manual. the only other issue i had was remembering that one way down shifted, and one way up shifted, and it wasnt intuitive.

Old 05-07-2014, 04:31 PM

4,071 posts, read 5,148,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
So many threads about Camrys, Accords, and even Nissan but nobody mentions Mazdas possibly the most innovative brand in Japan.

I can think of past and current designs from Mazda to be overall better buys than comparable models from Honda/Toyota/Nissan.

Mazda 3 specifically the sedan is better looking than Corollas and more power than Civics at the same level trims.

Mazda 6 this year looks like a luxury car compare to Camry and Accord.

Not a single SUV from Honda or Toyota that is as good looking as a CX-9.

Finally there is still no competition to the Mazda 5, a mini MPV. With 3 rows of seating and doesn't look and weigh like a full size minivan.
Mazda? What's a Mazda?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Mazda