Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Media
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2020, 09:54 AM

20,823 posts, read 8,652,273 times

Advertisements

This is why Democrats in Congress want a bailout for Big Media which has served them so well.

Last edited by CaseyB; 04-16-2020 at 05:45 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2020, 02:51 PM

2,013 posts, read 1,434,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"reporting the news" Most have forgotten, or never knew, news is an acronym, for reporting what is happening in the North East West and South in your area or national. Not biased "interpretations", distortion and outright lies based on their political bias.
How ironic you think you have cornered the market on the truth.
You even use a falsehood to in support of your confused rhetoric.

News: The word news has been claimed to be an acronym of the four cardinal directions (north, east, west, and south). However, old spellings of the word varied widely (e.g., newesse, newis, nevis, neus, newys, niewes, newis, nues, etc.). Additionally, an identical term exists in French, "les nouvelles", which translates as the plural of "the new". "News" also does not stand for "notable events, weather, and sports". The word "news" is simply a plural form of new.

Old 04-16-2020, 06:19 AM

59,389 posts, read 27,536,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
I'm sorry you're unable to see the facts as they are.

Yes, reporting is reporting the news. In order to report the news, reporters must ask questions. When those questions go unanswered, a good reporter asks again. And again. And again. And again.

The White House reporters are being good reporters when they don't allow a question to go unanswered. Journalism 101.

If you don't like the facts, that's your problem.
Some know the difference between a serious question and gotcha biased one.

Old 04-16-2020, 06:22 AM

59,389 posts, read 27,536,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
Alcindor does represent the problem in today's media. She and almost everyone on MSNBC... Many others, but that's who I've witnessed. The president has an important job right now, and they think the biggest win possible would be to undermine and humiliate him, live on camera.

Trump wears his weaknesses on his sleeve... but he also wears his strengths. He's an open book, trying to do an unscripted job in a difficult time. If you want to find something to criticize and exploit, you can easily.... but tell me, how does that help?

How does it help to attempt to undermine the president, distract from the message, and cultivate mistrust? I say attempt, because increasingly, I think people are seeing it. The news outlets who are most guilty of this are the least watched. Mistrust and blame are NOT what people want to hear right now. From either side.

There is no perfect in this... there is only people, working through a crisis. It is going to be messy, but there is nothing to be gained from nitpicking every misstep and exploiting every weakness or imperfect word used. There is much to be gained from trying to pull together to get through this. Which thing are you doing? Which goal are you supporting? Not just them, US.
Aren't some of the major "news" sites NOT televising the briefings?

Old 04-21-2020, 03:32 PM

11,987 posts, read 5,318,348 times
Trump says so many things that are not true, whether by design or by ignorance, that a reporter not challenging those misstatements is simply not doing their job.

Old 04-21-2020, 03:33 PM

11,987 posts, read 5,318,348 times
Trump says so many things that are not true, whether by design or by ignorance, that reporters not challenging those misstatements are simply not doing their job.

Old 04-21-2020, 04:17 PM

18,983 posts, read 9,109,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthlyfather View Post
Ugh, this is not collusion? Funny, how definitions change.
Collusion for trying to get a straight answer from the president? Gee, maybe if he just answered the questions asked this wouldn't be necessary.

Old 04-29-2020, 05:08 PM

33,329 posts, read 12,634,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
Alcindor does represent the problem in today's media. She and almost everyone on MSNBC... Many others, but that's who I've witnessed. The president has an important job right now, and they think the biggest win possible would be to undermine and humiliate him, live on camera.

Trump wears his weaknesses on his sleeve... but he also wears his strengths. He's an open book, trying to do an unscripted job in a difficult time. If you want to find something to criticize and exploit, you can easily.... but tell me, how does that help?

How does it help to attempt to undermine the president, distract from the message, and cultivate mistrust? I say attempt, because increasingly, I think people are seeing it. The news outlets who are most guilty of this are the least watched. Mistrust and blame are NOT what people want to hear right now. From either side.

There is no perfect in this... there is only people, working through a crisis. It is going to be messy, but there is nothing to be gained from nitpicking every misstep and exploiting every weakness or imperfect word used. There is much to be gained from trying to pull together to get through this. Which thing are you doing? Which goal are you supporting? Not just them, US.
Demanding accountability isn't undermining.

Old 04-29-2020, 05:10 PM

33,329 posts, read 12,634,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bureaucat View Post
Trump says so many things that are not true, whether by design or by ignorance, that reporters not challenging those misstatements are simply not doing their job.
^^^^^ Yep.

Old 04-29-2020, 10:40 PM

23,987 posts, read 12,780,673 times
The msm has a history of spinning the truth, or outright lying, about what Trump says or things that had come up during his time in office. Some of those lies that the msm had run with .. all Mexicans were rapists, the virus is a hoax, he's a racist, he hates our allies, he loves dictators, etc. Most msm viewers still believe those, and many other, media spun lies. The msm most likely doesn't even remember how to report actual news anymore. The reporters are just looking for something they can spin or lie about, so they will get more clicks, more clicks equals more money in their pockets. As long as they have useful idiots to click on their spin and lies then they are happy to continue to do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollygee View Post
When trump calls our freedom of the press, the "lame stream media," that is ok?? He has no respect for our values or the constitution. If he does not have a script to follow, his mouth is open for vile and crude remarks. I am so sick of him. As a leader he stinks. IMO

Does he own parts of faux news??? Just wondering.
I read Fox about as much as I do the leftist corporate media, and not a fan of any of them.

But for you to call that media source as "faux", instead of Fox, shows how deeply you'd been conditioned to not believe in the "freedom of the press". It had taken eight years of conditioning to make it stick with you for almost four years later. If you did not care about "freedom of the press" back then, then how can you claim to care about it now?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Media