Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Media
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2021, 07:16 PM

12,350 posts, read 9,726,478 times

Advertisements

So Tucker announced on his show that Clay Travis - who? - would be taking over Rush Limbaugh's time slot for Premier Networks, along with Buck Sexton.

I had never heard of Clay Travis before hearing Tucker's report. The little I've learned of him in these last few minutes of reading points to his being something of a jerk.

With all the sound choices they could have made among established professionals well known and highly reputed to the public, I'm left little short of disbelief of this story.

https://nypost.com/2021/05/27/rush-l...s-buck-sexton/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2021, 08:19 PM

12,993 posts, read 9,521,835 times
I like the guy with the British accent from Canada - he would have been a good replacement.

Never heard of him either, but according to the linked article Clay Travis is a sports reporter. Not sure how he ever got that job.

Old 05-28-2021, 03:57 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,726,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
I like the guy with the British accent from Canada - he would have been a good replacement.

Never heard of him either, but according to the linked article Clay Travis is a sports reporter. Not sure how he ever got that job.
Mark Steyn, yes. He would seem "the natural" for the job and certainly would be a popular choice - probably the most popular.

Something in my gut tells me he was likely offered the slot, but passed. I have nothing to base that on but my impression of him formed over the years, with all of his varied endeavors. I've said before that I just didn't see him interested in tying himself down to one gig like Rush's. Rush built that from scratch, staking out new territory that was uniquely his. Anyone following is in his shadow.

Mark Steyn, in a sense, has staked out his own territory as "the big guy" among guest hosts, with a depth of intellect in his commentary that is uniquely his. Mark will be the smartest guy in most any room he walks into. The reputation he has built and the associated media demand gives him a degree of creative freedom that just wouldn't be there, tied to one gig though one network.

This is all just a hunch.

I'm surprised at this decision coming this soon. Seems very recently that they re-confirmed that the show with "guide hosts" using Rush's clips would go on a good while longer. I knew it would change somewhere down the road, though, and I expected one of the "guide hosts" to be offered the slot. Todd Herman or Ken Matthews would be good, just the first two that come to mind.

Apparently Clay Travis created Outkick.com - also unheard of from where I sit - and I just read that Fox is buying Outkick. So what does that leave us with? A fox puppet. Go back a few years and I wouldn't have had a big problem with that. Today? Just by itself, it means Clay Travis comes to the plate with two strikes against him and Donna Brazile patting the chair next to her, inviting him to have a seat.

I wonder if Julie Talbott is a good friend of Suzanne Scott.

Old 05-28-2021, 05:41 AM

12,265 posts, read 6,477,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post

Scroll down to his Controversies and you`ll see why he got the job. He`s not fond of women or minorities.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clay_Travis

Old 05-28-2021, 07:13 AM

17,807 posts, read 13,708,449 times
Clay Travis found a way to become a political lightning rod in sports media by tapping into the white middle class male sports fan resentment of the black athletes they are being "forced" to watch. It was actually a genius move. And as stated above he managed to take that resentment and stir it up concerning women, LGBT, and the like.

His tag line has always been "Don't be a *ussy."

My tag line for him has always been. "If you can't beat 'em. Became a conservative sports talk show host and ****** about 'em.".

Old 05-28-2021, 07:44 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,392,274 times
He was mildly amusing when he was writing for his website/blog/whatever Outkick the Coverage.

His foray into political commentary has put me off him for good. I watch/listen/talk about sports as an escape from politics.

Old 05-28-2021, 10:05 AM

6,133 posts, read 3,355,504 times
Clay is smart. I believe he was reading the tea leaves about the future of sports, and there are tens of millions of people who are about to quit being fans.

Young people don’t even like traditional sports, progressives don’t like sports, and the people that do like traditional sports are angry about the politics, so many of them have found other things to do and have quit following the games.

I predict that the money in sports is going to start drying up pretty quickly over the next few years.

So Clay moved to the news, which is a smart decision. Especially if the Republicans can make gains in 2022. Although really, Rush did just fine when he was in the minority and railing about Democratic rule.

Old 05-28-2021, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmagoo View Post
Scroll down to his Controversies and you`ll see why he got the job. He`s not fond of women or minorities.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clay_Travis
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
Clay Travis found a way to become a political lightning rod in sports media by tapping into the white middle class male sports fan resentment of the black athletes they are being "forced" to watch. It was actually a genius move. And as stated above he managed to take that resentment and stir it up concerning women, LGBT, and the like.

My tag line for him has always been. "If you can't beat 'em. Became a conservative sports talk show host and ****** about 'em.".
If those are true, he's much too radical for me. Many things in the country are way overdone right now (trans, BLM, etc.), but I'm certainly not against minority and women's rights. Treat them just like anybody else - no better, no worse.

Old 05-28-2021, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post

I'm white, and not being "forced" to watch black-dominated sports. I never watch NBA because of lack of interest, I don't watch much NFL, but I do like college football. However, if we're going to have quotas in everything else, why not have quotas in sports, percentages based on how the country is composed by race?

Old 05-29-2021, 08:35 AM

4,783 posts, read 3,302,408 times
Travis personality is a little to dry for sports talk. Plus Outkick which promotes Sports Betting and Pop Culture is no way going to compete with Barstool.
Travis along with Whitlock and Caine were never going to be up there with the top 5 talking heads (Sharpe, Bayless, Steven A, Max and Cowherd).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Media