Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2010, 03:34 PM

173 posts, read 323,418 times

Advertisements

I work in an office park in hickory hill. Recently two of my neighbors came by and warned me about something that happened to two separate employees. One was on private property, the other at the light of Hickory Hill and Mt. Moriah (where hickry hull turns into Ridgeway.) It is an old scam, but apparently making a come back around here.

One lady "tapped" the car's bumper in front of her. Both parties got out, saw no damage and went on their merry ways. A few days later, the lady recieved a summons or notice from the police department saying she had been involved in a hit n run...and left the scene! She did not exchange information with the other party, but some how they got her info.

Simiarly, another lady was leaving the office complex, which has a divided driveway. A car entering the complex jumped the curb, but since it was on the other side of the median, she continued leaving the park. A few days later she got a notice/summons/whatever from the Bartlett Police. Same deal...she was in a hit n run and the one doing the running.

I have no idea why the Bartlett police are involved, or why something that would have been happening on private property would get the cops involved. Neither lady exchanged info, and now are having to deal with a mess. This is an old old story...I remember my drivers ed teacher warning us that should you ever have a traffic incident, even if there doesn't look to be any damage, you should still exchange info. I think I might also add taking a quick camera phone picture of the other car to her advice, too.
It is nothing new, but I thought I'd share with ya'll that I've heard about two in one of the parts of town I'm in often. I've decided that if I should find myself kissing bumpers, I'll just insist on calling the police even if there doesn't look like there is any damage....better safe than scammed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2010, 03:47 PM

1,292 posts, read 5,000,972 times
I may be stupid (OK....that's a given) but I don't see how this scam benefits the perp. What do they gain? No damage...so no insurance $ to claim. Beside, they can't prove the other party was even there. I don't see how the perp turns this scam into cash for themselves - which is normally the purpose of a scam. Please enlighten me....

Old 06-24-2010, 10:07 AM

173 posts, read 323,418 times
Mr Joe, I don't know either. But I spoke the girl that works next door yesterday afternoon (actually I kinda accosted her cause the cops came to my door looking for her). I asked her the same thing...and clarified that they DID NOT get her insurance info. I wish I had an answer for you. Listening to these two ladies tell me about what happened in both separate cases, I can not for the life of me figure out what someone else would gain, other than forcing these two chicks to deal with a bunch of B.S. Maybe they plan to sue later for injuries that "came about later" as a result of the wreck? Or maybe they plan to mess up their own cars and then say the ladies did that?? I really have no idea either. The whole thing stinks, but so does the creek running along side Mt. Moriah in Hickory Hill. If I hear any thing else, I'll be sure to up date. =)

Old 06-24-2010, 12:59 PM

At first I thought it was going to be the old scene where someone causes a minor accident in order to rob or carjack you (or worse)...

Old 07-09-2010, 10:56 PM

2 posts, read 18,283 times
Well, this just happen to me today. On July 1, 2010 I was on side street waiting behind another car that was stopped at a stop sign waiting to enter a busy blvd. This person in front of me proceeded forward and I proceeded to move up looking in the direction of on coming traffic. Next I remember I felt a bump. I'm not sure if I bumped them or they pulled to far out and put it in reverse. Either way I put my car in park and proceeded to get out of the car, then I before I could get my door open the other car drove off an into the traffic, which I ended up loosing site of the other vehicle. So, I sat there for a second an thought, a couple of things like maybe they didn't have insurance, a license or didn't care. I truly wasn't overly concern because it was such a light tap, I knew I didn't have any damage (which I didn't have any damage) and didn't see any visual damage on their vehicle as they were pulling off.

So, today I checked my mailbox an I received a letter in the mail stating that my vehicle with my license plate number was involved in or cause a motor vehicle crash with the approximately time and date. It states I need to call the Hit and Run Office within 7 days of receiving this letter to set up an appointment. When I go to the Hit and Run office I need to bring the vehicle, my license, registration and proof of liability insurance. Failure to comply with this notice may result in arrest of driver and impoundment of vehicle. So, I'll keep you posted on how it turns out.

Old 07-10-2010, 06:58 AM

13,351 posts, read 39,954,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCartpath View Post
At first I thought it was going to be the old scene where someone causes a minor accident in order to rob or carjack you (or worse)...
When I lived in Memphis someone broke out the little triangular window in the back door of my roommate's car. Turns out it's the most expensive window on a car to replace. The cops said people do it just to be mean. They can't gain access to a car through that window, they can't steal anything. They do it just to be mean.

Maybe this stupid hit-and-run scam is just another example of people doing mean things just for the heck of it. It is infuriating.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Old 07-24-2010, 07:57 AM

2 posts, read 18,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cherie7077 View Post
Well, this just happen to me today. On July 1, 2010 I was on side street waiting behind another car that was stopped at a stop sign waiting to enter a busy blvd. This person in front of me proceeded forward and I proceeded to move up looking in the direction of on coming traffic. Next I remember I felt a bump. I'm not sure if I bumped them or they pulled to far out and put it in reverse. Either way I put my car in park and proceeded to get out of the car, then I before I could get my door open the other car drove off an into the traffic, which I ended up loosing site of the other vehicle. So, I sat there for a second an thought, a couple of things like maybe they didn't have insurance, a license or didn't care. I truly wasn't overly concern because it was such a light tap, I knew I didn't have any damage (which I didn't have any damage) and didn't see any visual damage on their vehicle as they were pulling off.

So, today I checked my mailbox an I received a letter in the mail stating that my vehicle with my license plate number was involved in or cause a motor vehicle crash with the approximately time and date. It states I need to call the Hit and Run Office within 7 days of receiving this letter to set up an appointment. When I go to the Hit and Run office I need to bring the vehicle, my license, registration and proof of liability insurance. Failure to comply with this notice may result in arrest of driver and impoundment of vehicle. So, I'll keep you posted on how it turns out.
UPDATE: Went to the traffic office to give my information and my report on what happen. The officer stated that because I didn't stop to make a report it was a bad judgement call on my part. I explained that I had no information on the other vehicle, because it happened so fast and only knew the other vehicle was red. He said it didn't matter because if the other person pulled over or eventually made a report. The officers taking the two seperate reports could match them up. Well, what manual was that in because I missed that one??? With that said now, I felt I really had the disadvantage because the other person filed the report, which now said there was minor damage to the vehicle and no injuries. There's was no pictures of the other persons vehicle, so I'm not aware of the extent of what the damages are. The officer also stated that the damages were so minor that there probably will not even make a claim between insurance companies. But, because I did not stop the other person was angry and they persued justice. So, on the flip side and thinking if the shoe was on the other foot and the tables were reverse. I understand being frustrated and angry, but knowing that I moved the vehicle an didn't even speak to the other party involved before moving my vehicle from the actually place on where the accident happened. I would possibly give the other person the benefit of the doubt and say that there was no verbal conversation between myself and the other person. That they may have not seen that I pulled off to the side of the road when filing my side of the story.

So, the outcome of the story as of now, is I recieved a citation for Careless Operation and have to appear in court on Sept 24th in addition to the accident report stating I hit the back of him. This whole situation sucks because I totally feel I had the disadvantage of my side of the story due to being convicted of lack of judgement. Well, now I know if two people tap one another with their vehicles report it!!! Because you'll always be a risk if the other party will file a report and not be honest or miscommunication. It's a hard and very pricey lesson and will last for the next 5 years on my record. I'm so frustrated, but I can't loose faith that there are some good honest people out there and believe that people do make mistakes and being a Godly person I turn the other cheek. God knows I have.

Old 07-24-2010, 08:36 AM

15,205 posts, read 12,070,010 times
How did they get your "my vehicle with my license plate number" if you were behind them...... Sounds like a set-up, and someone was behind you getting information.....

Old 07-24-2010, 10:27 AM

Well, the other person also left the scene of the accident - so they should be cited as well!!! Maybe the scam is just to collect some damages from your insurance company for the "damages". Problem is, the cost almost certainly isn't worth getting a lawyer involved.....the they know that!

Old 07-24-2010, 04:14 PM

2,353 posts, read 5,374,930 times
Quote:

Quote:
UPDATE: Went to the traffic office to give my information and my report on what happen. The officer stated that because I didn't stop to make a report it was a bad judgement call on my part. I explained that I had no information on the other vehicle, because it happened so fast and only knew the other vehicle was red. He said it didn't matter because if the other person pulled over or eventually made a report. The officers taking the two seperate reports could match them up. Well, what manual was that in because I missed that one??? With that said now, I felt I really had the disadvantage because the other person filed the report, which now said there was minor damage to the vehicle and no injuries. There's was no pictures of the other persons vehicle, so I'm not aware of the extent of what the damages are. The officer also stated that the damages were so minor that there probably will not even make a claim between insurance companies. But, because I did not stop the other person was angry and they persued justice. So, on the flip side and thinking if the shoe was on the other foot and the tables were reverse. I understand being frustrated and angry, but knowing that I moved the vehicle an didn't even speak to the other party involved before moving my vehicle from the actually place on where the accident happened. I would possibly give the other person the benefit of the doubt and say that there was no verbal conversation between myself and the other person. That they may have not seen that I pulled off to the side of the road when filing my side of the story.

So, the outcome of the story as of now, is I recieved a citation for Careless Operation and have to appear in court on Sept 24th in addition to the accident report stating I hit the back of him. This whole situation sucks because I totally feel I had the disadvantage of my side of the story due to being convicted of lack of judgement. Well, now I know if two people tap one another with their vehicles report it!!! Because you'll always be a risk if the other party will file a report and not be honest or miscommunication. It's a hard and very pricey lesson and will last for the next 5 years on my record. I'm so frustrated, but I can't loose faith that there are some good honest people out there and believe that people do make mistakes and being a Godly person I turn the other cheek. God knows I have.
Wow, this really sucks. If there wasn't any damage I would have driven off also. If I am tapped again I am going to insist on calling Shelby Cop
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis